UKC

Camera for videoing climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nacnud 02 Oct 2018

Currently deep into the Nikon DX ecosystem, 35mm, 18-55, 10-24, 70-200, and an ageing D60, which still takes beautiful pictures . I love taking pictures of landscapes and what I've got is fine for that, but I'd like to start taking videos of climbing. Any suggestions? It seems canon is better for video so time to jump ship?

Post edited at 00:42
 Dan Arkle 02 Oct 2018
In reply to nacnud:

I expect you could get a second hand updated nikon body that does decent 1080p for under £200

Do that. 

Unless you really want to commit to video, in which case, get a video camera rather than a dSLR. 

OP nacnud 02 Oct 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Thanks, was looking a D5600 but going for a second hand D3400 instead + mobile phone gimbal. Oh and £200 saved. 

Time to go climbing instead of talking about gear.

CragRat11 02 Oct 2018
In reply to nacnud:

If you are serious about shooting video, and jumping ship, jump ship to Sony not Canon. Canon were the best 10 years ago, they aren't any more.

HeMa 02 Oct 2018
In reply to nacnud:

As was mentioned, neither Canon nor Nikon are the ones for video.

if you’re happy with the pics from your current body, keep it and look for a Speed-booster adapter for either Sony or Panasonics. Then you can use the lenses you have with the new body for video. In fact, quite a lot of semi professionals are using speed-boosters with say Pany GH4/5s.

OP nacnud 04 Oct 2018
In reply to nacnud:

Just found out the D3400 doesn't have an external mic input, WTF. Going to have to send the camera back and start looking again .

OK the D3300 seems to do all I want, and is £100 cheaper, I'll do that. Thanks for the info on the Sony and Panasonic cameras. I'll use what I have over winter and see about jumping ship in the new year. 

Post edited at 06:51
 james mann 04 Oct 2018
In reply to nacnud:

Have just made these films. Apart from drone footage, all were shot on Olympus omd em1 ii. Stabilisation is great and colour is natural. 4K video, mic in, headphone out, weather sealed and a great stills camera. 2 card slots is useful. 

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/sea-cliff-climbing-skills-bmc-tv-cornwall

james

OP nacnud 04 Oct 2018
In reply to james mann:

Thanks, another route to go maybe. 

PS Great vids, I want to go climb in Cornwall again now

Post edited at 09:25
 The Lemming 04 Oct 2018
In reply to nacnud:

I'd say mirrorless is the future, and even though I'm tied into Panasonic, I'd say that Sony is the brand to beat right now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...