UKC

Camera to carry on routes in Yosemite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 20 Mar 2019

Hi,

I have been using a Lumix TZ-100, but would like something lighter if possible and with a selfie function, so have come for some advice if I may.

My ideal camera, which no doubt isn't possible, so it will be a question of hitting as many desires as possible, would have the following

1. small and light; I would care it in a case on a gear loop of my harness

2. a zoom of 28-135mm (35mm equivalent)

3. have a dioptic(?) view finder as I will use it in bright sun without my glasses, so find it difficult to see a screen in focus and bright (I'm guessing this will be impossible on anything smaller than a TZ-100)

4.  have either a portrait mode or aperture priority mode for head shorts of people. Ideally this would be accessed with a physical knob or a memory button, as clicking through menus is hard when holding onto a mountain

5. Be able to take selfies. The TZ-100 (and the other slight bigger Lumnix I have) can't do this. In that when you operate the self timer, it focuses and does the exposure at that moment, not when the camera takes the picture. This makes it hard to stick it on a tent pole to take shots with the camera away from the cliff face. Or hang if off a cam when soloing (I really found it strange that Panasonic decided to build the camera in this way.)

Cost is largely irrelevant. I will not be using it anywhere cold.

Thanks in advance for you help

Mike_d78 20 Mar 2019
In reply to David Coley:

The RX100 vi I think covers all your requirements and if price isn't so important then it could be the one for you. 24-200 lens check, selfies check,  aperture priority check, portrait mode check, viewfinder check,  small and light check. 

The only thing I'm not sure about is the focus after setting off the timer, I don't know other camera's that do that,  but maybe they're out there....

In reply to David Coley:

You could always get a camera with a remote release or one with wifi and a phone app to solve the selfie problem.

OP David Coley 22 Mar 2019
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

Thanks, put that would be more stuff for me to drop!

Mike_d78 22 Mar 2019
In reply to David Coley:

Just checked my RX100iv whilst it does do face detect in selfie mode it is only AF-S. So unless the RX100vi is an improvement that may not work for you. Only suggestion I can make is to use the timer focus on something the correct distance away then hot foot it to that spot then smile.............but I guess you can already do that with your current camera.

Le Sapeur 28 Mar 2019
In reply to David Coley:

I have a Canon G7X which is rather good.

1. Small and light.

2. 24-105mm. F1.8-2.8. It has a great lens.

3. No viewfinder but the screen is easy to use in bright sunlight. The G5X has a viewfinder but adds a bit of bulk.

4. Aperture or shutter priority, on a knob. Also fully manual and you can set the front lens ring to control either.

5. Particularly  good for taking 'selfies'. With a flip up screen at the rear you can take lots of close up pictures of your own face while making sure you are in focus.

Not sure how much it costs in the UK but I picked up mine in HK a few months ago for £350

alex_arthur 28 Mar 2019
In reply to David Coley:

Another vote for the canon Gseries.

10 years ago I took some great shots with the original  G7.  The Camera is very robust with a metal case and small enough to tuck under your shirt. 

Got pics blown up to 1000mmx600mm with good results.

I can only imagine the G7x is even better.

OP David Coley 29 Mar 2019
In reply to David Coley:

Thanks for your help. I will look at the Sony as it is lighter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...