UKC

Canon 5d mk2 or 6d

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
3414peterk 21 Feb 2013
So what to get? I think I'm set on the 24-105 f4 lens, but which body?
estivoautumnal 21 Feb 2013
In reply to 3414peterk:
Mk III
 Dan Arkle 21 Feb 2013
6D as it has a newer sensor and way better ISO performance.

there is a good comparison chart linked in the ~5th post here..

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=11624.0

and another one near the bottom of here
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-Digital-SLR-Camera-...

Dan
(Still getting crap photos as I only have a 550D!)
 london_huddy 21 Feb 2013
In reply to 3414peterk:

For what?

If you don't need the AF, extra card slot and weather sealing (and, arguably, build quality), but do want the wifi and gps, go for the 6D. It's also lighter which is good news for carrying the thing all day.

Good summary here:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/6d/vs-5d-mark-iii.htm

I love my 5Diii for weddings and events.
3414peterk 21 Feb 2013
In reply to 3414peterk: I'd love the mk3 but can't justify the extra budget. I shoot all sorts, and am still learning, so it's to much camera really, but I don't want to move from my 450d to say a 60d only to change again in a year or so. The main thing at the mo is finding the 5D mk2 in stock anywhere at a good price.
In reply to 3414peterk: Does it have to be a full frame camera Have you thought about a 7D?
3414peterk 21 Feb 2013
In reply to 3414peterk: I think I'd always wonder if I'd missed something by not going FF. that said I've not tried a 7D, as the local places don't have one, and I don't know anyone with one that I could have a little try with. Whatever I went with I'd be looking to get good glass to go with it.
What Goes Up 21 Feb 2013
In reply to 3414peterk: I'd go 6D. Had a play at a convention recently and it looks fab. I'd be very hapy with that in my kit bag and don't think I'd regret not stumping up the extra for a 5D3 at all (stunning as it is). Over the 5D2, definitely.
What Goes Up 21 Feb 2013
In reply to What Goes Up: ps - the 24-105 is a great choice too. Was my main lens up until recently, then I got the 24-70 2.8 for the extra stop in low light, and glad I kept hold of the 105 as I still keep coming back to it. Lovely lens.
 Jon Read 22 Feb 2013
In reply to 3414peterk:
I've just had a similar dilemma, and gone for the 6d. Going from a 20d it's a hell of an improvment. The better handling of noise at high ISOs is incredible, and the sensitivity of the central focus point is close to unbelievable -- it focus-locks on stars for goodness sake.
Either will be good though!
 jamesc88 22 Feb 2013
In reply to 3414peterk: 6D is fantastic but build quality leaves something lacking over the 5D. 5D's are absolute work horses and will last you a good long time. If you do tons of low light/night photography then 6D is the way to go though.

If you're considering these 2 don't even think about a 7D. IM(professional)O the 7D is whack.
 john arran 22 Feb 2013
In reply to 3414peterk:

We've recently got a 6D and impressions so far are very positive. The low-light performance is amazing. Previously (until it got nicked) had a 5D Mk I which was good at the time but suffered a lot from sensor dust. Since then have had a 7D which has almost led to us giving up taking it anywhere as the crop sensor is such a disappointment compared to full frame for anything except wildlife and distant work.

Not tried the 5D Mk2.
 Phil West 22 Feb 2013
In reply to jamesc88:

What a bloke! Thanks for sharing.
3414peterk 23 Feb 2013
In reply to 3414peterk: cheers all for the comments, I've done a deal on a 5D mk2 body.
Just need to find a 24-105 f4 L lens now.
shunty 25 Feb 2013
In reply to 3414peterk:
I have a 14-70mm EF lens on my 5d Mk11 and its great for outdoor wide angled shots with the full frame 5d you have. low weight, small. Its reasonable priced too for an EF quality lens.
 Morts 06 Mar 2013
In reply to shunty: I assume you mean 17-40mm right ? Anyhow Its a great lens for UWA shots - highly recommended on a FF body

morts
In reply to Morts:

I'd thoroughly recommend a second hand 16-35 instead. That extra mm at the short end is very noticeable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...