UKC

E M5 II vs X-E3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dr.S at work 25 Jan 2019

Both currently available with kit lens for c £900, both clearly capable of producing great images - which is best for the hillgoing photographer who wants light weight, great landscapes and the option of wildlife?

Post edited at 23:10
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I can't compare the cameras as I only own and have use the Olympus but I love it. The weight, picture quality, and usability in the mountains has been superb. No complaints!

jethro kiernan 26 Jan 2019

I’m more than happy with my Olympus as a compact camera (I also shoot full frame Nikon) 

i suspect the dynamic range will be slightly better on the Fuji but for nature photography you get more bangs to your buck on a MFT zoom lens.

worth noting the Fuji isn’t weather sealed and some of the controls are accessed through the touch screen not ideal for damp cold weather and gloves.

the Olympus weather sealing has been excellent on my Olympus.

the Fuji XT2 is available on various deals,I would definitely consider that if you can stretch to it.

https://www.jessops.com/p/fujifilm/x-t2-mirrorless-camera-in-black-with-xf1...

Post edited at 07:44
OP Dr.S at work 26 Jan 2019
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Good point about the X-T2, but much of the appeal of the the EM5 is in its size and the light weight lenses which ends up giving an easy carry.

One of my caveats with the fuji system is that I'll struggle to justify the cost of glass past 300mm ish (35mm eq)  with the affordable XC 50-230 getting me out to about 340mm vs something like the Olympus 75-300mm getting out to 600mm.

For context I currently use an Olympus XZ-1, which is a lovely camera but only has a 1/1.7" sensor, so APS-C or m4/3 will both be a much bigger sensor for me.

planetmarshall 26 Jan 2019

I just picked up a second hand E-M5 II (body only) from Wex for under £400. Was really impressed by the quality, would never have known it had been pre-owned. Came with 3 year extended warranty.

Worth considering as you can spend the money you save on glass.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...