Loading Notifications...

Falling in love with ice climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toby_W 20 Feb 2007
 The Bantam 20 Feb 2007
In reply to Toby_W:

Lets see the other 2 then!!!! Cracking photo - glad everyone okay.
 Toby_W 20 Feb 2007
In reply to The Bantam:

I'll post them, I will. I've just been stupidly busy at work the last few weeks.

How can I be sooooo busy, oh wait that'll be taking a week of climbing that's done that.

Cheers

Toby
 Oli 20 Feb 2007
In reply to Toby_W: Sounds quite epic...
 Toby_W 20 Feb 2007
In reply to Oli: Something of a surprise really, one minute fine, good form and posture then off. He actually finished up on a snow slope on a lip above the rest of the climb. I think the worst thing may have been that after the fall he started sliding head first down towards the lip before Anders took him tight (due to the ice screw popping & putting more slack in the ropes).

It almost seemed like it didn't happen until we got back and looked at the photos and his bruises.

He did say that on the way down he was determined not to break his legs!!

Cheers

Toby
 Fille 20 Feb 2007
In reply to Toby_W:

holy crap! glad to hear your friend's ok, think I would have done what you did too. having 'proof' of your adventures is always a big plus down the pub :D
 Toby_W 21 Feb 2007
In reply to Fille: The photo certainly cheered him up after a big confidence knock and he really kept his cool while he fell, bouncing and landing very well. His rugby days saved him we think!

I must point this out to him so you can have the story from the horses mouth.

Cheers

Toby
Dean 21 Feb 2007
In reply to Toby_W:

Not a bad wee photo is it?

Whadyawannaknow?
In reply to Dean: I remember you swearing blind that get much less pumped leashless! Still standing by that position?

By the way, the scew that failed - did it bend?
Dean 21 Feb 2007
In reply to TobyA:

You know it actually wasn't my arms that failed in the end - it was my hands. I'd still say, under normal circumstances, that I get less pumped leashless.

The screw that failed just ripped out of the ice - it wasn't in great ice - chandelier / organ pipe "early season" type ice that was diffciult to see if it was well attached behind. Fortunately I had placed another screw vertically into a ledge (that I eventually landed on) that saved me.

When Toby_W loads the other photos you'll see the real sequence which is very revealing!

I was very lucky - I had 30 seconds of real thought that I would at the least break both legs / ankles.
In reply to Dean:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> You know it actually wasn't my arms that failed in the end - it was my hands.

I know what you mean. When I fell off I just couldn't hang on anymore so I guess it was the same.

Glad you and everyone else was OK though.
 Steve Parker 11 Mar 2007
In reply to Dean:

The pic's certainly made an impression around here. I suspect I can hear a lot of people thinking 'Sheeeeeeyit!' Good news about that second screw, as there must have been some force involved by then. Glad you're okay, mate. All the best!
task-o 11 Mar 2007
In reply to Toby_W:

A pretty good advert for having Spring Leashes on your spanking new leashless tools!

Good picture.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.