UKC

Fast SD cards?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 04 Mar 2020

Anybody able to recommend a fast SD card for videoing on a camera.

I'm after fast continious and consistent write speeds to the card. There are just too many cards to choose from and with different ways of advertising their speeds to confuse and  complicate matters.

Write speeds of 150mb/s and above?

I don't really want to bolt an SSD to my camera. Maybe cameras should come with storage built into them?

HeMa 04 Mar 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

UHS-I or UHS-II?

that being asked, just slab a Samsung T5 on yer BMPC4K and call it good .

OP The Lemming 04 Mar 2020
In reply to HeMa:

I was thinking of getting one of those, however I now have a GH5 after killing my GH4 in January.

Blue Straggler 04 Mar 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

I find the pocket-lint review site to be quite helpful, clear and concise. 

Hope this helps. 

You can Google "pocket lint fast SD card" and get a link to general SD card recommendations for different requirements, and another link to a "jargon-buster" article. 

You're welcome. 

HeMa 04 Mar 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Ah, so UHS-II.

I seem to recall my friend who uses GH5 for video work (actually they have 2 and shoot in the 6K mode for video, so really crips pics can also be extracted from the vid feed). I believe they are using SanDisk Extreme Pro 256GB SDXC UHS-II Memory Cards, spendy yes. But reasonably good.

As I'm still using GH4, I mainly use 64GB cards (they tend to be cheaper) and I carry a bunch with me.

Some professionals are complaining that the Sandisks seem to break/corrupt, os if you're doing commercial work they might not be the smartest option. Those people seem to trust the Sony Tough -series.

And a lot of people seem to like Lexar Professionals, myself included (again a hobbyist). Price-wise they seem to be less than half of Sony Tough or Sandisk Extreme (Pro). So if/when I get a newer camera, I will certainly look into Lexar for greater capacity and speed (GH4 is only UHS-I).

Oh, I recall DPreview forums have alot of these discussions. And I'm sure just by slapping UHS-II 256GB SDXC review into Google will get ya some stats.

Post edited at 11:47
In reply to HeMa:

> As I'm still using GH4, I mainly use 64GB cards (they tend to be cheaper) and I carry a bunch with me.

I loved my GH4, which I had for three years till I, inadvertently, tested its weather sealing to destruction during storm Ciara. At the time I bought my GH4, the new model was only a couple of months away from hitting the shops.

When the GH5 was released, I happened to be in a Jessops and a Panasonic GH5 Rep was ploughing a furrow in their carpet singing the praises of the new camera. His honest advice to me was, don't bother upgrading as there aren't that many killer features between the cameras. I thought that was jolly nice of him to be so honest.

Now that I have one, with quite a few firmware updates under its belt, I can happily say that I feel that the upgrade is justified. The Wave Form alone, is far superior that the Histogram when setting the exposure. Add the Wave Form and Zebras together and you have no excuses to over or under expose your subject.

I know that image quality is subjective, however I actually do believe that the image quality is better as well. Just by looking at footage with my 100-400 lens, as a common factor, the results are sharper. This may have something to do with a higher bit rate and bigger sensor or it could be psychological and all in the eye of the beholder.

I have some Lexar 64Gb cards with a continuous write speed of 95Mb/s. I shoot at H265 and 150mbps. So far I have only had one fail where the camera said that the card was not fast enough to keep up. Admittedly it was a very busy situation with contrasting light and fast moving subjects.

I know that my camera can shoot 400mbps however checking Youtube, you could not tell the difference between the bit rates when watching on Youtube. I also get to save a shed load of money not buying bigger storage cards as well.

Also another major bonus id the IBIS of the camera as well as the lens. I practically don't need to use my gimbal any more, because its that good. Its awesome. If you look at the quick test clip I made, then the first minute is shot on a tripod. The second minute, with the swans was taken at 100mm zoom, and hand held. Hand Held.

youtube.com/watch?v=fUmIEDD8QuM&

Almost forgot, it takes great photos.

Post edited at 16:38
 Marek 04 Mar 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> Also another major bonus id the IBIS of the camera as well as the lens...

Do you just use the default stabilisation settings or have you tuned them? My wife now has a G9 and there are sooooo many virtual knobs to twiddle!

In reply to Marek:

> Do you just use the default stabilisation settings or have you tuned them? My wife now has a G9 and there are sooooo many virtual knobs to twiddle!

Don't know about the G9, however with my GH5 I have done nothing beyond flicking any stabilising switches on my lenses.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...