UKC

Getting photos from CF card on to a tablet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JinjaCoo 02 Oct 2013
Hello,

Has anyone found a way to get photos from a CF card on to a tablet at all?

I bought a tablet with a mind to being able to do some photo work each day whilst on holiday rather than being hit with the 'chore' of doing it all afterwards, but my initial research has proven to be wrong. I looked at availability of connectors to allow a USB card reader to be connected to the device's non USB power / reader port. All fits well, but the tablet will not read from a device (card reader) which itself needs power. Okay, I tried then to read direct from the camera thinking it has a battery so must be powering itself and again no luck.

Camera is a Canoe EOS 350D with old style CF cards and is not bluetooth able or anything like that.
Tablet is a Samsung S2

Anyone know of a device which can deliver what I need? I did wonder about a wi-fi or bluetooth card reader but can't find one which reads CF cards.

JC

Graeme
 balmybaldwin 02 Oct 2013
In reply to JinjaCoo:

Get yourself one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SD-Card-CompactFlash-Adaptor/dp/B002F1SGDU

(Assuming of course that your Tablet has a SD card port (most seem to)
 rallymania 02 Oct 2013
In reply to JinjaCoo:

is your card reader a multicard or just CF?

i'm afraid my experience is only with SD cards so probably not a massic amount of help to you, but i got something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/T-Flash-Adapter-Samsung-GT-i9100-GT-N7000/dp/B005FU...
and this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Card-Reader-SDHC-Cards/dp/B001725Y0Q/ref=s...
to allow me to copy files from my SD card... is this the kind of thing you are trying?

here's a CF card reader version
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-Compact-Flash-Card-Reader/dp/B000TD50ZS/re...
 rallymania 02 Oct 2013
In reply to rallymania:

oh and the card shouwed up somewhere weird in the file manager rather than in my "gallery" will try and find my connector and post the path

am using rawdroid to view / manage the canon raw files if that also helps

JinjaCoo 02 Oct 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Cheers, that looks like an option, however, my tablet has no SD reader, only a micro SD reader, perhaps I need then what you have linked to and an SD --> micro SD reader adaptor in it with a micro SD card.

I'm reluctant to spend more without knowing someone somewhere has a tried and tested solution, but this might be the way forward.

The readers themselves which go via USB (suggested above) I am wary of as potentially coming up against the unpowered connection errors I got before, i.e. the tablet will not power them but they need power to be read from.
JinjaCoo 02 Oct 2013
In reply to rallymania:

"oh and the card shouwed up somewhere weird in the file manager rather than in my "gallery" will try and find my connector and post the path

am using rawdroid to view / manage the canon raw files if that also helps"

Great, thanks.
 rallymania 02 Oct 2013
In reply to JinjaCoo:

have a look online and see if it supports USB OTG (OnTheGo) if not then you're right, it's not going to work sorry! can you post the exact model?

some other things to consider about the compact flash > SD > microSD option are

can your camera read the capacity of microSD cards that you can actually buy? ie is it limited to 512Mb as many older devices are.

for every extra adapter you introduce another set of contacts that might get worn out and cause read/write errors.

microSD cards are hard to manage with gloves on!

balmybaldwin 02 Oct 2013
In reply to JinjaCoo:

If you want a SD to Micro SD adapter then shout, I seem to have loads of the things as every time I buy a micro SD card they give me one
 rallymania 02 Oct 2013
In reply to JinjaCoo:

ok so i plug my OTG cable with an SD card reader and SD card installed like the ones i linked to above and android announces a mass storage device is attached
and opens the file manager
i select all files then UsbDriveA to view the files (not as complex as i remembered lol)
if you get this working, then i find on my phone copying the files to the photos folder on the device in batches of 20 or so is best, otherwise it seems to crash my phone.

again hope that helps, and good luck
JinjaCoo 02 Oct 2013
In reply to rallymania:

All very helpful, thanks folks.

I can get a micro SD card for £8 which includes an adaptor to SD (cheers for the offer of one though) so will give that a go first in my other camera which is SD compatible. If that goes well, I'll maybe get the CF - SD adaptor too before pursuing the other options, last thing I want is more readers & cables lying about if I can avoid it.

Cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...