UKC

Good Quality Compact

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EuanM 01 Dec 2019

Can anyone recommend a quality point and shoot compact camera? I’m not interested in lots of features. I would prefer the camera to just have a good automatic mode.

Only really looking to use it for days out climbing or running. An upgrade on an iPhone camera.

I bought a Sony A5000 a few years ago in the hope I’d get into the detail of taking a good photo but I don’t have the patience and it’s too bulky to carry in a jacket pocket.

Any suggestions welcome.

cheers 

Myfyr Tomos 01 Dec 2019
In reply to EuanM:

So many to choose from. Go play with lots of different compacts in a good camera shop - nothing beats the hands on approach. Hopefully, knowledgeable staff will be able to point you in the right direction. Consider weather-sealing and general toughness - it'll get far more use if it's robust! Good luck.

Alpenglow 02 Dec 2019
In reply to EuanM:

Sony RX100 series or Panasonic LX100.

Gav_92 02 Dec 2019
In reply to EuanM:

I have a Panasonic tz70 and really like it. 

Small, large zoom range (tend not to use the longer range a great deal) and easy to use

ring ouzel 02 Dec 2019
In reply to EuanM:

Olympus TG-5 (I believe the TG-6 came out a few months ago). Weather proof so will shrug off bad weather. Slips in my pocket and goes everywhere with me. Good for macro. I got mines to photograph moths in my trap but it has also been out with me on my SUP and sea kayak. And it's bright red so I can spot it if I drop it.

blurty 02 Dec 2019
In reply to EuanM:

The small Sony - with the pop-up view finder is excellent.

OP EuanM 02 Dec 2019
In reply to EuanM:

Thanks for the suggestions. Lots to go and research now.

Alpenglow 02 Dec 2019
In reply to EuanM:

It's important to look at the sensor size of the camera.

Sony RX100 has a 1" sensor.

Panasonic LX100 has a 4/3 sensor.

Both of these sensors are significantly bigger than normal compact which means significantly better low light performance and general image quality.

Also, watch out for cameras with very large zoom ranges (x20, x50 etc.) as these generally have poor image quality (x5 is plenty for climbing/mountaineering).

Le Sapeur 02 Dec 2019
In reply to EuanM:

My 'in the pocket' camera is a Canon G7 X MkII. The automatic mode is quite good. Often I snap off a shot in auto before composing on manual incase the moment disappears. 

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 04 Dec 2019
In reply to EuanM:

I use a Sony RX100 mk2 or 3. It gets great images that are amazingly crisp for a compact. I liked it so much that when I accidentally ran over it, I went out and bought another.

Andy Hardy 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

Does 4/3 actually mean 1 1/3" (square), or does it refer to the aspect ratio?

Sorry if that's a numpty question

tjdodd 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

It refers to both the size and the aspect ratio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Thirds_system

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...