UKC

GoPro Hero 5 or 6

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 04 Apr 2018

Looking to purchase either the Hero 5 or 6.

Looking at the specs the 6 seems better but reading online reviews many people seem to be suggesting that in real terms the 6 isn't that much of an upgrade on the 5.

Anyone have either or both? what do you think. Is the 6 worth paying the extra £100 for or should I just get the 5?

Cheers

Post edited at 13:40
 ali_colquhoun 04 Apr 2018
In reply to Alan M:

It's only worth it if you are going to use the extra features which are mainly the ability to shoot at higher frame rates for slow motion. If you are not going to be doing that then the 5 will do all that you require at a lower price. 

The other alleged improvements make no real difference to 99.9% of the videos that are likely to be made with it. 

Hope that helps. 

OP Alan M 04 Apr 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

interesting, the reviews look good  (watched a few other youtube reviews) for the price.  The only thing I don't like is that it needs an extra case to make it waterproof.  Normally those cases make things too big for my liking.  I see most GoPro cameras just strapped to things without the extra case.

OP Alan M 04 Apr 2018
In reply to ali_colquhoun:

> It's only worth it if you are going to use the extra features which are mainly the ability to shoot at higher frame rates for slow motion. If you are not going to be doing that then the 5 will do all that you require at a lower price. 

> The other alleged improvements make no real difference to 99.9% of the videos that are likely to be made with it. 

> Hope that helps. 

thanks that the sort of advice I was looking for. cheers

KevinJ 04 Apr 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Alan,

I went through the same considerations a few months ago.  I opted for the 5 (which was also available at an extra discount at the time).

I have found in practice that the key features I use are shooting in 1080 at 50fps which allows for decent slow motion clips if needed.  Image quality and light reproduction is good.  Battery life is decent, and can get a few hours in standby mode while using the voice activation for stop and start recording.

Still images and time lapse work well.

Quick Stories and the GoPro app seem to work OK (iPad and iPhone SE), and the clips are easy to use and work with in iMovie and Premiere.

The stepped zoom is the only practical frustration where the 6 offers a full range zoom.

All the accessories are the same, so no dramas re future proofing on them.

Kev

The Lemming 04 Apr 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Here's a Timelapse I made with my Gopro 4.  Rather than worry about changing batteries every 50 minutes or so, I simply connected the camera to a power-pack with enough juice for days.  I was mightily impressed with the image quality.  Around the same time I bought a camcorder and thought that my new toy was the bees-knees.  But that was until I discovered that the image sensor was the same size as that of the GoPro and sort of took the shine off my new toy, knowing that it had the same size sensor as my matchbox camera.

youtube.com/watch?v=LSW0bLiENlM&

Post edited at 20:29
 The Lemming 25 Apr 2018
In reply to Alan M:

May I ask if you chose a camera?

And if you went for something other than a gopro, what did you get?

A mate of mine has made me a counterweight for my Zhiyun Crane gimbal.  Now rather than it just having a fekin heavy dslr, I can use it with phones and action cameras.  Yay.

Post edited at 21:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...