UKC

Grey import Cameras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 20 Oct 2017
What's the catch in buying a £1300 camera body for £1000 if it comes from ireland (and they openly say they import stock from all over the world and add a uk charger if required) ?

Is it simply that the warranty is invalid if it's sold out of region? or is it just more hassle?
 Mikkel 20 Oct 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Warranty will depend on the make, whether its a problem or not.
Heard stories of Nikon in the UK refusing to deal with a camera bought in the UK via grey import.

obi-wan nick b 21 Oct 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin: I’ve used Cotswold Cameras (no relation to the outdoor chain) - they have their own 3yr warrenty and use the same companies that do repairs to cameras for the insurance industry. Not tested the warrenty part but camera came to me direct from Japan and cotswold refunded the import duty promptly.

Jon Read 21 Oct 2017

A moral dimension? You are, after all, actively avoiding paying tax/duty.
 Mikkel 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Jon Read:

What makes you say that?
Grey import just means companies are not buying it from the manufacturers or their distributors in the UK.
Not that they automatically sneak it through customs without paying.
So it all depends on the seller and how they do it.
OP balmybaldwin 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Mikkel:

Seller I'm looking at is HDEW cameras who have been around 25yrs and provide their own 3 year warranty so I can't really see a downside. Tax is most definitely paid
 Jon Read 21 Oct 2017

Fair enough. How does it work: are you responsible for the duty ?
 Mike_d78 21 Oct 2017

I've used hdew a few times without probs. Never had to test the warranty tho!
 Sean Kelly 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Mikkel:

> Heard stories of Nikon in the UK refusing to deal with a camera bought in the UK via grey import.
Never had a problem with Nikon and repairs. They want the business. Same said about cars, but my grey import MR2 was serviced by Toyota all the time

Dark-Cloud 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Jon Read:

You are still misunderstanding, grey is nothing to do with duty, it means the dealer has imported them via an unauthorised distribution channel, they are sold in the UK but may be built for the Asian market so some manufacturers get sniffy about warranty on them, or even servicing if they are that way out with themselves.
 Mikkel 21 Oct 2017

My camera came from them, no problems at all, very nice to deal with.
and they do also offer their own warranty, from the same company Canon use but don't think there is any issues dealing direct with canon either.
 Jon Read 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
Ok, I'm happy to be wrong. Where does the price difference come from?
 Dark-Cloud 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Jon Read:

Different markets have different pricing structures for different products, for example that’s why a Vauxhall car made in the UK used to be cheaper to buy in Europe, have a read here, there is a section on electronics

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market
OP balmybaldwin 21 Oct 2017

Well all done and dusted... a 77d body for £575 instead of £799 UK retail price....and a 3yr warranty. Happy with that

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...