UKC

Half frame colour scans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jcw 02 Oct 2018

I have recently found an interesting set of half frame  colour slides dating to 1965, some of which I want to scan. No problems with standard color slides but no one seems to do half frames anymore. Can anyone kindly refer me to someone who can scan them? 

Adam Long 02 Oct 2018
In reply to jcw:

Are the mounts smaller than normal 35mm? If not any 35mm scanner should be ok. My drum scanners do anything from 110 to 8x10 but the film has to be unmounted.

OP jcw 02 Oct 2018
In reply to Adam Long:

Thank you. They are in 35mm mounts but half size content. I've only taken them to the standard people ( in France Fuji, Fnac) who scan 35mm slides, but whereas before they could do them they say they no longer can on their new equipment. 

timparkin 02 Oct 2018
In reply to jcw:

Hi Adam, 

I run a company that runs two Heidelberg drum scanners and we offer a free trail scan if you want to send a couple of them to us. It's probably not the best for bulk work but if you want a few scanning at very high quality we're probably the best you'll get. http://www.drumscanning.co.uk

Tim

Adam Long 03 Oct 2018
In reply to jcw:

That's' strange. Most consumer film scanners whether for 35mm or flatbed would be fine with that. I'd be wary of unmounting them unless you have a supply of new mounts - drum scans are good but unless you are printing big you won't need the quality (or the cost). Cheap options in the uk are MrScan or Ukc's own Chris Cragg used to do a good deal.

OP jcw 03 Oct 2018
In reply to Adam Long: and Tim

thanks for the advice and offers. I am very reluctant to unmount them unless essential. I only want them for viewing on computer screen along with my other scanned slides ( or UKC!), not for prints. Chris Craggs hasn't picked this thread up, but I'll try him as we know each other a bit. 

timparkin 04 Oct 2018
In reply to jcw:

Well we've got a big flat bed scanner that will handle mounted slides and I'm happy to do them for free for you but for very small stuff you're probably better making a copy with a digital camera that has a macro lens or function. 

Tim

OP jcw 04 Oct 2018
In reply to timparkin:

Good idea. I have a professional photographer friend and I'll ask if he can do that. One needs good backlighting. Thank you for the offer, it is kind of you a nd I may take it up if the alternatives don't worK. 

timparkin 05 Oct 2018
In reply to jcw:

A cut out bit of plastic milk bottle behind the transparency and held up to daylight will do the job fine. Might take a bit of faffing but it's doable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...