UKC

How to make Flickr photos bigger?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marc C 03 Aug 2012
Techie question: I've downloaded some photos off Flickr for an article I'm writing. However, the editor requires photos to be at least 1mb. Most of the photos I've downloaded are more like 250kb. Is there a simple (remember, I'm a numpty) of resizing/upgrading them?
 alooker 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Marc C: depends what software you're using/platform you're on. Bear in mind it's not upgrading them though, making them bigger won't improve the quality - are you sure they're good enough? 250kb seems pretty small to me for a decent photo but I am not a serious photographer by any means...
 Onion 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Marc C:

When you view the photos in the 'lightbox' there should be an option (top right) to view more sizes. This will display all of the available sizes and you just need to click the largest one, followed by a right click and save.

I'm assuming it's not your Flickr account and thus you might find the user has disabled downloading of their photos, which might prevent the above.

Remember to observe copyright and check with the photographer that they are happy for you to use their photos.

The other thing to bear in mind is that if they are just 'web quality' i.e. 72 ppi that they might not of a sufficient quality to print. You should be able to check this in the exif data for the file.
OP Marc C 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Onion: So I can't transform them into print quality (270ppi or whatever)? Pretty much ALL the photos I downloaded are 72 ppi
 Onion 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Marc C:

I don't think so but i'm not really an expert on this.

AFAIK you have to set the detail level when you first export the shot. After that you could increase the ppi from 72 - 240/300 but it wouldn't be the same as creating the image at the higher ppi.

I might be wrong and someone will probably be along to correct me soon enough
 deepsoup 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Marc C:
Shouldn't you be asking the photographers' permission to use the photos anyway? In which case, couldn't you get them to email you the original?
OP Marc C 03 Aug 2012
In reply to deepsoup: the photos are in the 'commons' - which means they are for public use.
 Hannes 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Marc C: Send the photographer an email then and ask for bigger pics
 deepsoup 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Marc C:
Ok, so that means the image will have been uploaded by some institution or other (libraries etc.)?
You could still ask them for a higher resolution copy couldn't you?
Maybe check their own websites to see if they have a higher resolution copy in an image bank of their own?
 Mike Stretford 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to Onion) So I can't transform them into print quality (270ppi or whatever)? Pretty much ALL the photos I downloaded are 72 ppi

You could fudge it but the images would still be low quality (so I won't bother telling you how), the editor doesn't want that, he wants original high res images.
OP Marc C 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Papillon,Onion,Hannah: Ok, thanks everyone -guess I've learned that changing the image size doesn't change the ppi, so need the originals.
 Yanis Nayu 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Marc C: Magnifying glass
OP Marc C 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity: Unfortunately my ex-gf took it with her - as Paul McCartney sang, "suddenly I'm not half the man I used to be"
 Yanis Nayu 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Marc C: ((( Tweezers too?
OP Marc C 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity: She tried those once, but said it was like trying to get hold of a tealeaf with a monkey wrench
 Yanis Nayu 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Marc C: Excellent!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...