UKC

I realized my camera gear weighs 2kg...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 26 May 2019

I was packing up my overnight walking gear to test a new 30l sack (Montane Trailblazer - big thumbs up!) and I just barely managed to fit everything in. The camera gear: Lumix GX85, 8-18mm F2.8-4.0 and 35-100mm takes quite a bit of space and weighs 2kg with all the accessories (gorillapod, batteries, filters, etc.)! I am not a gram counter, but camera gear itself takes over 20% of the weight (9.3kg base weight with camera gear). It also means I would be relying on iPhone XS for trail/hill runs as it's way too bulky/heavy. 

What are the alternatives for the current set up? I am leaning towards Sony RX100 VI for its size, reviews and the image quality looks good. I am just worried about ruggedness of it. Canon G1X mk3 seems to be more robust and weather sealed, which would suit better for Scotland. It has much bigger sensor and hence slightly heavier though. Lumix LX100 or LX15 are also contenders... 

I don't think it makes sense logically and financially to have all the Micro 4/3 gear along side the new point & shoot camera, so I would have to give up the current setup.  

HeMa 26 May 2019
In reply to PPP:

Depends on yer photog needs.  But for hiking, I tend to bring only one small prime. Currently that means GX800 w/ 1.7/20mm, but always lookin’ for a deal on the 2.5/14mm. 

Forget about the filters (other than the UV/protector always on the lens).

So, perhaps look into What you really need of yer kit, when going lightweight. No need to get anything new. Or perhaps simply get a nice & compact prime and use leg zoom.

In reply to PPP:

One thought.  Before you commit too much time and money, perhaps try using an older but still well regarded smaller camera, such as a Panasonic LX-3*. They don't cost a great deal on eBay but a good one may be just what you're after.

T.

* Or similar. I only mention this one as it's the compromise I made.

Snowdave 26 May 2019
In reply to PPP:

Olympus TG-4 (16mp)..or the new TG-6 (12mp)......yes its a point & shoot but its as tough as nails....get a different zoom say the Olympus 12-100....I have the Olympus OM-D EM-1 MK2 with the 12-40mm F2.8Pro...& that's bang on 1kg......even with a Joby & spare battery etc I hardly add much more & yes I have weighed it all.

I leave the big lens at home (40-150mm f2.8pro)

OP PPP 26 May 2019
In reply to HeMa:

> Depends on yer photog needs.  But for hiking, I tend to bring only one small prime. Currently that means GX800 w/ 1.7/20mm, but always lookin’ for a deal on the 2.5/14mm. 

I coincidentally have 20mm F/1.7! It feels a bit too bulky for carrying in a pocket with G85 (I realized I typo'ed that in OP). Still much smaller and lighter overall. I might give it another go... It was my main lens for a long time before it was replaced by 8-18mm, but it's really massive. 

Good points regarding filters and other crap. I do have a wireless remote, CPL, multiple ND filters which I could get away without carrying. Lighter tripod is also possible with smaller lens. 

> What you really need of yer kit

I will be completely honest and I do think that iPhone XS camera can be good enough for general shots. Unfortunately, it doesn't give the same satisfaction of taking photos and post-processing! Weird when you say it out loud. 

I did have Fuji X100F for a brief moment until it broke. It was a joy to use, but I wouldn't get another one. 

SouthernSteve 26 May 2019
In reply to PPP:

> I will be completely honest and I do think that iPhone XS camera can be good enough for general shots. Unfortunately, it doesn't give the same satisfaction of taking photos and post-processing! Weird when you say it out loud. 

I am increasingly thinking the same  – I have a Nikon D800, but it is increasingly just for work with ring flash permanently in place. Running I always use my phone and tend to take the bigger camera for bumbly photogenic walks often with the older dog. In that situation, particularly if some wildlife opportunities, the whole kit is much more than 2 kgs though, although I do have a little 45mm pancake lens which makes the Nikon much neater, but 24mm would be a better focal length for a single lens for me. A little while ago I bought a lighter tripod as I was never minded to take the old one. 

The thing about processing is really interesting. I have always been quite organised about photos from the cameras, but I am very poor at downloading and labelling them from the phone. 

In reply to SouthernSteve:

I recently sold my Canon 7d and 17-40 F4L and 70-200 F4 L plus speedlites etc and replaced it with a Fuji X100F. I am so pleased. The Fuji is not weather sealed so I need to be a bit careful but have not had any problems yet and the IQ is incredible. If I was buying again I may have gone for the XPro-2 plus a 23mm prime lens. I still have an old Olympus E-420 with a couuple of tele zooms that give me an 18 to 150 range for when using my feet to zoom isn't feasible. 

In reply to PPP:

the rx100 has mechanical issues. my first one stopped working altogether. the second has annoyingly developed a habit of not opening the shutter all the way and I have to flick it fully open with my finger.

GHawksworth 29 May 2019
In reply to PPP:

Rather than a different set up, I gently point you to tip #7

https://www.bentibbetts.com/20-top-tips-mountain-photography/

In reply to PPP:

When I was young(er) and fit(ter) I carried a Nikon F90 with a mid range zoom plus a wide angle and telephoto. backed it up by a Pentax ME super with wideangle lens for B&W. Must have weighed at least 4kg. As I trimmed down and went digital I bought several compacts for mountain work but then discovered the Canon G 11 which became my first choice as it saved RAW files. When its lens stuck open I bought a G15 which produces beautiful smooth images. My first choice for non-mountain pictures is currently a Nikon D7100 with three lenses weighing in at 3kg and the G15 is about 500g.
My photo world changed last year when I decided to try mirrorless via a used Olympus OMD EM10. It produces superb high resolution images in RAW format with a great mid range zoom lens as standard and a longer focal length telephoto to provide a huge range (14-150 which is 28-300 35mm equivalent) and it weighs about 800g with a small case. The only downside was that the lovely 14-42 pancake lens has a power zoom which is prone to failure which mine did. The less compact version with manual zoom is a better option but slightly more bulky.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...