UKC

Laptop or tablet for viewing photos and movies 'in the field'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oujmik 03 May 2013
I enjoy taking pictures whilst out and about (Nikon RAW), and recently I've started shooting a bit of video in AVCHD format. I have a Samsung NC10 that I take with me to view photos and browse the net for weather forecasts etc. but it isn't up to the task of 1080p AVCHD playback, it just glitches completely. Can't even get it to convert it in slowtime for playback in a less demanding lower res format.

So... I either live with this annoyance or look at some new hardware. Assuming I go for the latter then I guess I've got a few options.

Cheapo (but probably heavy and unpleasant) windows laptop
Mid range nicer Windows laptop
Low end (but high price) Apple laptop

Tablet of some kind... Nexus 7 though to latest iPad.

I really don't enjoy using Windows, but I'd probably put up with it for a cheap, lighweight solution (like I have with the NC10). I also don't enjoy carting a huge heavy latop around. So that leaves me favouring an Apple laptop or a tablet. I can't really jusify the cash for a Macbook (although I could try to justify it by using it as a work laptop, but I get given one of those for free anyway...)

So, that leaves tablets. I can;t get a clear answer on whether the Nexus 7 could handle may demands, but equally I'm not sure even the top iPad can handle AVCHD direct from an SD card flawlessly. Any experience or tips?
 steve taylor 03 May 2013
In reply to Oujmik:

Most tablets won't take an SD card nowadays...

However, if you can find a means of getting the files onto the tablet (camera with WiFi), that's probably the most cost effective and portable way forward. We've just got a Nexus 10, and the screen is pretty impressive.
OP Oujmik 03 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming: I think that's microSD actually, but would work if I used microSD with an adapter in the camera.

I was hoping a plug-in SD card reader or direct camera connection over USB would be the solution, but this doesn't seem to be very well supported, especially for video.
 Carless 03 May 2013
In reply to Oujmik:

you can get a plug-in sd card reader for ipads on amazon and presumably from Apple

I suppose also for other makes
 barney_edin 03 May 2013
In reply to Oujmik:
I have a Nexus 7, it is easy attach a card reader to it and transfer jpegs across from an SD card

You need a cable, card reader and app.

I have not tried to transfer RAW files yet and I know nothing about video.
 The Lemming 03 May 2013
In reply to Oujmik:

I did say Micro SD.

There is also a micro USB so you may be able to use a SD card-reader.

My own tablet which is a year old has micro SD, full size SD, full size USB, micro HDMI and removable keyboard. You can still get them but tech has moved on a lot in a year.

Personally, for viewing photos and movies in the field, you have to spend a lot to get a tablet that will work well in bright sunlight and a laptop will always outperform a tablet for editing.
OP Oujmik 03 May 2013
In reply to The Lemming: So you did... was confusing your post with the one above. What tablet do you use?

When I said 'in the field' I meant from the comfort of my tent/cottage/caravan. I won't be using it much outdoors, but would like to see what I've got at the end of each day rather than at the end of a one or two week trip.

If I was editing, I'd go for a Macbook. The editing can wait until I get home, I just want the ability to view. Some ability to back up would be nice as well.
 The Lemming 03 May 2013
In reply to Oujmik:
> (In reply to The Lemming) So you did... was confusing your post with the one above. What tablet do you use?

Its an Asus Pad TF300. Similar to the link I gave but comes with a keyboard.
 Mike Stretford 03 May 2013
In reply to Oujmik:
>
> So, that leaves tablets. I can;t get a clear answer on whether the Nexus 7 could handle may demands, but equally I'm not sure even the top iPad can handle AVCHD direct from an SD card flawlessly. Any experience or tips?

I'll have a play with my Nexus later and see what it can do.
 winhill 03 May 2013
In reply to Oujmik:

wot about a wifi sd card? mymemory had them for less than £30 this week.
OP Oujmik 04 May 2013
In reply to winhill: Interesting, I'd never heard of these before, but the issue with tablets seems to be their ability to actually do anything with the files on the SD card. It seems that even just copying them, let alone viewing them is far more faff than it should be. Still very tempted by a Nexus 7 or maybe the Asus linked above or a TF300 from ebay.
 rallymania 06 May 2013
In reply to Oujmik:

depends, many tablets are "cheap" because they don't pay MS for the priviledge of using the FAT file system that is common on consumer device SD cards.

but you can do what you are talking about fairly simply. you get yourself a simple mini/micro USB to full sized USB adapter and then either plug your camera or a card reader into the adapter

on android devices you can use RAWdroid to view and transfer the files to your tablet / phone

video will depend on the format. again on my phone, if i copy my canon / gopro vids to the phone memory they both play just fine in the default video player (my phone is not even "that" new galaxy s2 which is now 2 years old.)

total cost of the addons? can be done for under £10
 Alex Slipchuk 06 May 2013
In reply to Oujmik: my galaxy note can read usb and sd cards via a usb on the go adapter, 2 quid amazon/ebay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...