UKC

LUMIX DMC-GF1 lens?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 buffalo606 26 Feb 2018

Hi

RE: Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GF1 12.1

Could someone recommend me a good - and preferably sub £100 - lens for the above camera.  Used is fine.  

Will be using it for snapping during winter climbing.

Post edited at 14:42
 ChrisJD 26 Feb 2018
In reply to buffalo606:

I had one of these back in 2009/10.  It was a great little camera for the time.

I used it with the 20mm f1.7 Mk-I prime - great fast lens, perfect for winter.

You should be able to pick up a 2nd one for ~£100 (there are Mk-I and Mk-II lenses if I remember) - had a quick look on Ebay.

Wulfrunian 26 Feb 2018
In reply to buffalo606:

Hi

Retired my GF1 a month ago after 8 years of sterling service (replaced it with a GX80 - basically a GF1 with a viewfinder). Brilliant camera. As Chris says, the 20mm f1.7 is a corker (MK2 benefits from quicker, quieter focusing I believe - image quality is the same as the MK1, which I have). For landscape work, the 14mm f2.5 pancake is excellent, and tiny - makes the GF1 feel like a chunky compact.

Alternatively, the original GF1 kit lens, the 14-45mm is a good all rounder. Not fast, but benefits from image stabilisation and excellent image quality. Had many saleable images from that one.

All should fall within your budget second hand.

The current 12-60mm is optically a bit better than the 14-45 (seems to be so far anyway, only had it 3 days) and the increase in range is useful. Over £300 usually, but if you can stretch to £169, Mathers have brand new ones on offer, split from kits (so no box, pouch or manual). Impressed so far.

http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.uk/product.aspx?id=2349&IsProduct=Tru...

Toerag 26 Feb 2018
In reply to buffalo606:

Olympus 17/1.8 Has the advantage over the pansonic 20 of being able to manually focus properly and autofocuses a lot faster. I don't think you'll get either for £100 though.

HeMa 26 Feb 2018
In reply to buffalo606:

As we have two other MFT in the household, I paired my GF2 (or GF1 or GF3, can't remember) with the Oly lens cap 15mm/f8 lens... Nice 'artsy' lens and tiny... But Pany/Oly 20mm/f~2 lens would be my "pic" as well...

Oly lenscap 9mm/f8 might be and option for a tiny package... but not enough light for winter climbing, me thinks... Cheap though.

OP buffalo606 05 Mar 2018

Went for the Panasonic 20mm.

So:

any tips for good winter climbing pics?  I'm not a pro at manual camera settings so any basic setting tips for the GF1 would be really great.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...