UKC

Photo voting gremlins?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 28 Mar 2020

Yesterday evening one of my photos went from 22 votes, average 4.7 to 23 votes, average 4.0. Now I'm one of those on here who regularly gets tedious malicious down-voting, but I've done the maths and this drop isn't even possible! Is anyone else getting any weird anomalies? Is there a gremlin in the system?

Jon Read 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

Perfectly possible if the votes are not weighted linearly^H^H^H^H^H^H equally

Post edited at 12:42
 Luke90 28 Mar 2020

It's easily mathematically possible if a few people changed their votes.

OP Robert Durran 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Jon Read:

> Perfectly possible if the votes are not weighted linearly^H^H^H^H^H^H equally

But I'm sure they are (easily checked by watching the average vote change over the first few votes).

In reply to Luke90:

> It's easily mathematically possible if a few people changed their votes.

That had occurred to me, though it would have needed several people to simultaneously agree to gang up on me!  It can't have happened in this case anyway because you only get a short window after voting to change your vote and the photo had been stuck on 22 votes for far longer.

Just checked the photo again and it's leapt back up to 24 votes, average 4.7. So maybe the gremlin's been sorted!

Also, would love to know why I got dislikes for my OP!

Luke90 28 Mar 2020

> it would have needed several people to simultaneously agree to gang up on me!

And here lies the real problem. It's just not that personal for 99% of the people voting or posting photos.

Luke90 28 Mar 2020

> Also, would love to know why I got dislikes for my OP!

One of those universal rules of the internet. Complaining about downvotes always gets downvotes.

In reply to Luke90:

> > it would have needed several people to simultaneously agree to gang up on me!

> And here lies the real problem. It's just not that personal for 99% of the people voting or posting photos.

No. I'm sure the vast majority of people who vote, vote according to whether they like a photo or not.

In reply to Luke90:

> One of those universal rules of the internet. Complaining about downvotes always gets downvotes.

Yes, and that's why the issue of malicious downvoting on here is probably never likely to get addressed (it could easily be addressed by making all votes positive in that any vote at all increases a photo's score) because even mentioning it is likely to result in more down voting. It will probably happen to the photo in question now!

john1963 28 Mar 2020

I noticed your photo dropped to 4 yesterday even though it had no new votes . I think your right it was some sort of glitch in the system.

As for the  malicious down voting I suspect it's been going on for years, but now that so few people vote on photos anymore that 1 malicious vote can have a dramatic effect on your photos position . This problem is causing photo of the week becoming irrelevant which ruins it for everybody.

I also suspect that some people have stopped posting at all because of this which is even worse.

There has always got to be one ----

Sean Kelly 28 Mar 2020

It all comes out in the wash at the end of the day. The very best images always score well, and crap remains...well crap. One anomaly is total votes in a gallery drops by about 20, 30 or more. It is because someone leaves the site? I have noticed this more than once. Very strange!

In reply to Sean Kelly:

> It all comes out in the wash at the end of the day. The very best images always score well, and crap remains...well crap. 

A truly great photo getting 40 or 50 votes will still almost always get POTW even with a single down-vote, but these days with fewer people voting, it's perfectly possible to sometimes get POTW with about 20 odd votes (I have on occasion) and then a single down-vote can push a photo way out of contention. Of course it is all just a bit of fun, but that doesn't mean it should be ok to spoil it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...