UKC

Photography critique site?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si Withington 05 May 2020

Hello

I used to take a lot of photos, sometimes semi-professionally in that freelance travel photography paid for quite a few trips. I’ve let it slip over recent years and want to get back into photography for fun, not for cash. 

Can anyone recommend and forums/sites where folk ‘gather’ for mutual photography sharing and critique? More than just ‘nice photo’ - am after positive technical criticism! 

Cheers!

Blue Straggler 05 May 2020
In reply to Si Withington:

I haven't looked into them very much but it is possible that "Groups" on Flickr might provide this. It must at least be worth 15 minutes of poking around and seeing if such discussion might be there (and healthy!)

In reply to Blue Straggler:

I use Flickr, and am a member of quite a few groups there.  Whilst some are good for sharing images, and finding images of places and things I'm interested in and locations to take good shots, I've not found any that are good for useful critique.  That doesn't mean they don't exist of course; it may be that the group discussion threads are the place to find this, and they aren't something that have ever engaged me a lot.

So I'd say look at Flickr groups by all means, but have a look at the discussions within the groups particularly.  Comments on photos can range from useful to a gushing 'hey, this is just fabulous' and though that's nice to know, it's not ultimately that helpful if you're after informed, objective and helpful comments.

Just my £0.02, of course.  Others may have a different experience.

T.

GHawksworth 05 May 2020

Not direct feedback per say, but I put some of my photos on the likes of Viewbug and GuruShots. I find it a pretty good way to see how they fare against each other and other people's shots of the same subject. I've worked out that many I thought were quite good a total tosh and others I didn't rate much were actually photography enthusiasts' favourites!

Other than that, I've taken some to my local photography club and they LOVE to critique and help. They don't care about the subject of climbing so you get a purely photography based feedback with full investment into the composition.

balmybaldwin 05 May 2020

I used to find the DP Review photo comps good for this... themes, stick a couple of entries in, and then a week later see what others thought of them... good for detremining what others like vs what you like

Mike_d78 05 May 2020

Pretty much every DPR forum welcomes C&C got a Sony camera ? Go to a Sony forum? Got Canon? Taking an Astro shot? etc etc etc

The ones I've seen have been generally constructive....

Or you could start one on UKC!

Durbs 05 May 2020

The Talk Photography forum is actually pretty friendly and honest. Some good 'togs on there, some with a lot of experience.

There's specific parts of the forums; one area just to post shots, the other actively asking for critique. You can also say whether you're happy for people to tweak shots for pp improvements.

Blue Straggler 05 May 2020
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Thanks! As I said, I've barely dabbled. Therefore could be talking tosh. What you say sounds fairly predictable in hindsight. 

StefanB 06 May 2020

I have found this sub on credit quite useful for this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/photocritique/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...