UKC

Probably the worst photo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Le Sapeur 04 Jun 2019
 Jon Stewart 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

More to the point, it's of Intake Quarry!

overdrawnboy 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Amazed it hasn't been given a 4, that seems to be the starting point for a lot of voters.

mrphilipoldham 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

If someone could come up with some fancy bigly words and a nice frame for it, it’d sell quite quickly in one of them arty galleries.

Le Sapeur 04 Jun 2019
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Everything about it is awful.

Le Sapeur 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Loving that I have 4 to 1 on the thumbs down.

Removed User 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

If I could be boring and technical for a minute. I'm pretty sure it's just that the lens on his camera is total crap, have a look at his other offering and you can see the same artefacts. They're caused by reflections off internal surfaces in the lens, it's called flare.

Before phone cameras got really good there were terrible bits of kit out there. No one would tolerate them these days.

WaterMonkey 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

I think some photos are taken to capture the moment rather than the scenery. It does that well. 

Le Sapeur 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Removed User:

Absolutely agree, and if the photos were of any interest/historical merit/first ascents etc, then show what you have. However....

mrphilipoldham 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Exactly. 

Removed User 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

> Absolutely agree, and if the photos were of any interest/historical merit/first ascents etc, then show what you have. However....

Yes, surely he must have some better ones than those?

CragRat11 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

I think that's a class photograph. Its very unique, has good tone and colour and weird framing (intentional or not). Because of this I'm intersted in the subjects and what was going on at the time. You don't see photos like that very often. Maybe the problem lies more with you than the photographer. Perhaps you should be more open to unusual images?

Much better than a lot of the guff you see on Instagram right now.

SouthernSteve 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

I kind of like it!

ericinbristol 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Someone needs to link to that hideous photo that was in Hannah S' gallery - the comments were great. 

shantaram 04 Jun 2019
 Derry 04 Jun 2019
In reply to shantaram:

Wow, now that's a photo to make the eyes water! 

Donotello 05 Jun 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

There’s a genre of photography called Snapshot Aesthetic. Came about when brands and younger people were so bored or festooned with posed shots for fashion that they’d just chuck people in a room with a camera and see what came out of it. 

Hugely popular in the mid 2000’s, American Apparel, even Patagonia (there’s that photo of the woman eating chips with sauce down her top) 

Back to the point, this photo captures snapshot aesthetic perfectly. A moment in time, unplanned, raw, natural, not perfect. Captured forever and would stand out a million miles if laid out on a table with 1000 generic climbing photos of the ilk that fill the UKC archives. I love it and would love something like that as a momento for myself. I do shoot on film but they’re always a little too polished. I Need to loosen up and grab a disposable it seems! 

Post edited at 01:42
 kamala 05 Jun 2019
In reply to Removed User:

> ...lens flare...

Looking at the density and distribution of the brighter bits, I actually think he's got one of his hands holding the rope into the frame, only so close that the lens can't focus. At least it shows he was taking his belaying more seriously than his photography!

Something different going on with his other shot, haven't figured that one out.

Oh yes, and I sort of like the unstudied nature of this one (other one not so much) - as others have said it's a good evocation of a climbing memory even if it won't win any photo competitions.

Post edited at 05:01
In reply to Le Sapeur:

I think the photo tells a story (infers it at least) I find myself intrigued by it rather than 'wowed' or 'not wowed' as would be the case with most climbing photos. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Go on admit it, that was your intention all along!

Post edited at 07:21
 ericinbristol 05 Jun 2019
In reply to shantaram:

Ah yes fabulous. And she is truly a UKC legend - as Little Miss No Idea then Hannah S and now Mrs Only a Hill

planetmarshall 05 Jun 2019
Deadeye 05 Jun 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Loking at the rest of Joshua's extensive gallery, he has made an artform of flare

Mark Collins 05 Jun 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Its probably too late for this shot to get Photo of the week even if it had voting enabled, but 'any publicity is good publicity' as the saying goes.

hang_about 05 Jun 2019
In reply to Mark Collins:

Sometimes a flawed image captures the essence of the moment

https://s23527.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/normandy-768x432.jpg.opti...

profitofdoom 05 Jun 2019
In reply to hang_about:

> Sometimes a flawed image captures the essence of the moment

Nice one, is that Robert Capa photo?

hang_about 06 Jun 2019
In reply to profitofdoom:

Yes - good article on it online - this was the fourth roll of film - other 3 blank!

In reply to Le Sapeur:

I think his other photo is better. I cannot imagine how long the telephoto lens must have been to capture that close up image on Earth from the surface and through the rings of Saturn ...!

aln 06 Jun 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

It's a crap photo but starting a thread about it seems unpleasant and unnecessary. 

Frank R. 06 Jun 2019
In reply to hang_about:

> Yes - good article on it online - this was the fourth roll of film - other 3 blank!

There is some recent research about the alleged accident that destroyed the rest of the rolls in the US lab, it seems he only ever shot the 11 frames and the rest of the story about 3 damaged rolls with "the best shots on them" is a later fabrication. It's a long story to summarise here, I suggest you look at this article, read some of the others and make up your mind yourself. Later, after Capa's death, the financially involved parties might have had something to do with it too.

Although even if true, it doesn't belittle Robert Capa for me at all. I can't even start to imagine what it must have been for the soldiers and reporters on the beach, and I have been to some pretty rough places during my news career. My hat off to him whatever the story really was.

https://medium.com/exposure-magazine/alternate-history-robert-capa-on-d-day...

aln 06 Jun 2019

In reply to profitofdoom:

That reminds me of my Grandad's story

profitofdoom 06 Jun 2019
In reply to hang_about:

> Yes - good article on it online - this was the fourth roll of film - other 3 blank!

Thanks for your reply, here's my favorite Capa war photo:

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/wwfeatures/wm/live/1600_900/images/live/p0/1k/3q/p0...

(Sorry my reply changed after aln posted)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...