UKC

Refurb iPhone camera choices.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Fisher 01 Feb 2022

Firstly I invite you to say I should get an android phone etc etc

Now I’ve dismissed that idea

My iPhone 6 is long overdue a replacement, I’ve got a sim only contract that suits me so will be buying a phone outright. 

My camera gear is all on eBay as I just can’t be bothered lugging it about, this makes me lean toward a ‘pro’ phone with the extra camera module over a standard.  I’ve struggled with a 16gb phone and constantly running out of storage so I’m thinking 256gb.  So the choice comes down to a 11pro for about £400 or a 12 pro for about £600.

what’s my question?  Erm, any reason to get one over the other? I’ll keep it for a few years no doubt so I’m inclined to go 12 for some future proofing.  Any experience with using Backmarket as a refurb seller??

Thanks

CurlyStevo 01 Feb 2022
In reply to George Fisher:

Backmarket reviews of their website  are not very good IMO, the prices are a bit too good to be true for the condition too.

I can recommend iOUTLET or MuscicMagpie on eBay. I would go for excellent condition personally but very good may be ok too. I would have thought 128 GB would be plenty if you can get one in that size but you would know better than me.

Generally battery life on refurbished phones isn’t as good as it was a few years ago imo as the covid tracing apps cain your battery.

Remember getting a refurb phone for 500 quid you are somewhat relying on good customer service if it’s not in the condition advertised or is faulty in the first year.

Post edited at 10:38

> Erm, any reason to get one over the other?

My understanding is that the 12 pro has a much better chip set, better camera sensors, and has improved camera features (albeit incremental not revolutionary improvements) like HDR (if that’s to your liking), low light quality, night mode and image stabilisation. I also think that was when the one touch video recording when in photo mode came in (but could be mistaken).

I have a 12 pro and it is excellent in phone camera terms. The night mode is incredible if you wish that type of thing - takes a near dark situation and processes it to normal light. The image stabilisation and low light quality are impressive.

Whether you like the way how Apple process your images is debatable for some. The use of raw files though allows you to change your images anyway if you wish, but personally I like the base starting point and just use Apple’s own processing software that comes with the iphone for small tweaks for a lot of the day to day photos.

Post edited at 10:44
 StefanB 01 Feb 2022

One big difference between the two models is that Apple introduced the ProRAW format in the 12 pro. This means you can use Apple's computational photography features in RAW. 

Wether this matters to you is, of course, a personal choice. If you are just shooting jpeg (or HEIC) this is not relevant.

Alkis 01 Feb 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> My understanding is that the 12 pro has a much better chip set, better camera sensors, and has improved camera features (albeit incremental not revolutionary improvements) like HDR (if that’s to your liking), low light quality, night mode and image stabilisation. I also think that was when the one touch video recording when in photo mode came in (but could be mistaken).

Night mode, one touch and HDR are on the 11 Pro too, the camera on it is incredible already. That said, if the whole reason to upgrade is the camera I see no reason not to go for the 12 Pro instead.

Post edited at 11:12
 Alkis 01 Feb 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> My understanding is that the 12 pro has a much better chip set, better camera sensors, and has improved camera features (albeit incremental not revolutionary improvements) like HDR (if that’s to your liking), low light quality, night mode and image stabilisation. I also think that was when the one touch video recording when in photo mode came in (but could be mistaken).

Night mode, one touch and HDR are on the 11 Pro too, the camera on it is incredible already. That said, if the whole reason to upgrade is the camera I see no reason not to go for the 12 Pro instead.

Post edited at 11:15

As you have decided to stay with an iphone and want to use it as your daily camera already, I missed out negatives.

However, just in case they maybe relevant to your choice the significant ones that for me are limitations - although the 11 and 12 probably could be the same for all I know though(?) - the digital zoom is very poor (a lot of noise and loss of definition) esp above about 3.5/4x (gradual deterioration from 2x but ok (ish) till then) and at or near 10x is only really of limited use if you must have a photo of whatever at any cost.

The optical zoom though impressive however; I can’t spot any loss of guality at normal viewing levels with the optical zoom. Also, the extra wide angle camera does give (as would be expected) a fish eye effect esp noticeable if you have a dominant reference line in the image, as does the in phone panorama setting and more so if used to the full width the phone allows to capture. With the latter I often restrict to a narrower angle of capture to minimise the effect.

In reply to Alkis:

Ok thanks, I didn’t have an 11 pro. Coincidentally, I had a 6 (I’m a slow up dater - a 3 originally, then 6!) so the op is in for a real eye opener with the improvement from 6 to 12 pro!!

OP George Fisher 01 Feb 2022
In reply to All

Thanks for the replies so far  

In terms of the camera focal lengths, I’m selling a mirrorless with a 50mm equivalent lens and a compact with a 28mm equivalent, I also like a wider lens like a 20mm equivalent so I’m hoping the triple camera of a 11/12 pro will cover these nicely.  I only ever shoot jpeg and I’m not a huge editor, but of cropping and exposure tweeks mainly.

jim robertson 01 Feb 2022

I have an 11 Pro and find it perfectly adequate for capturing images to be viewed on other digital devices/computer screens. The image quality will not be as good as your cameras for printing purposes, but if you don't print then thats not an issue. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...