UKC

Rx100 mk I replacement

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr. Lee 14 Jan 2021

Sorry, this topic again. My RX100 mk I has just died, and so I'm in the market for a replacement. I was happy enough with the quality of photos with the mk I, or at least they looked OK after editing.

My main complaint would be the autofocus, which sometimes had a tendency to focus on a random flat section of rock or tree in the foreground, rather than the big red thing moving in the centre of the frame. Never found a sufficient way of overcoming this, so it would be good to find a replacement camera that is a bit more intelligent in this respect.

I'd like to keep to something roughly the same size, that fits in a trouser pocket when required. Needs to be RAW format. Video quality isn't that important as I mainly take photos. Water resistance isn't that important as I just use a dry bag when called upon. It will mainly be used as a climbing camera, or when I don't want to carry a bigger camera. I've got a Fujifilm X-t20 already for other situations. 

​​​​​​The easy answer looks to be an RX100 mk VII. Don't mind forking out for something like this as I take a lot pictures, but I'm equally keen to buy something that meets my needs without payout paying in excess. I wondered if there were any other camera models that would at least maintain picture quality of the Mk I whilst improving the autofocus capabilities?

Graeme G 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Something in the A5100/A6XXX range?

I can’t comment on the RX but I find the autofocus on my A5100 very accurate.

Paulhesketh 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Mr. Lee:

For it's size I believe the autofocus of the RX100 vii is the best out there. Whether it is worth the big bucks depends probably can only be answered by your goodself. I'm sure you'd see a lot of improvements moving from the i to the vii other than autofocus.

I have the RX100 vi and like it a lot, used to have the iv but I busted it!!!

OP Mr. Lee 15 Jan 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

That's going to be too bulky I think. Looking for something pocket-sized, roughly similar in size to my RX100.

Robert Durran 15 Jan 2021
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I was looking into compact cameras for a friend the other day and really liked the look of the Panasonic LX15. If I were replacing my RX100, I would be seriously considering it.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 Jan 2021
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Panasonic TZ100 - pocketable, good lens, 1” sensor, RAW, solid autofocus, ⅓ of the price of the VII,

Chris

OP Mr. Lee 15 Jan 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

Yes that's a good call. Concluded that the RX100 mk IV would more than meet my needs, and the LX15 sounds very similar in performance and cheaper still. 

Graeme G 15 Jan 2021
In reply to Mr. Lee:

A6xxx series is definitely not pocketable.

Robert Durran 15 Jan 2021
In reply to Mr. Lee:

> Yes that's a good call. Concluded that the RX100 mk IV would more than meet my needs, and the LX15 sounds very similar in performance and cheaper still. 

The RX100 IV has a viewfinder whereas the LX15 does not if that is an issue (I really miss the pleasure of using a viewfinder rather than peering at a screen when using my RX100 Mk1).

The TZ100 also has a viewfinder. It has a much longer zoom than the LX15 but pays for this with a significantly smaller maximum aperture especially at long focal lengths. I wonder how much this is an issue in low light - maybe Chris can comment.

Paulhesketh 15 Jan 2021
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Worth you looking here if you haven't already....

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-compact-zoom-cameras

Dark-Cloud 15 Jan 2021
In reply to Paulhesketh:

Holy cow, just looked at the price, £1000 ! That’s some serious cash for a fixed lens camera.

timparkin 15 Jan 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Holy cow, just looked at the price, £1000 ! That’s some serious cash for a fixed lens camera.

And it is amazing for it's size, beating quite a few SLR's with kit zooms by some margin. I have a Sony A7RIII with a 24-105 and the RX100VII which get used for different purposes (I also have a GoPro 7 and 9 and a DJI Osmo Pocket). I sometimes take all of them out for some documentary film work.

OP Mr. Lee 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Thanks for the suggestions. Opted for a RX100 mk III in the end. I suspect the autofocus functions on the latest models are well beyond my needs for a camera for climbing. I was tempted by the LX15 but it sounded as though it was going to need too much manual fiddling for a camera primarily used whilst climbing/belaying. I know the RX100 functions well as a simple point-and-shoot camera most of the times, and I've got used to most of the faults of the Mk I. As a minor bonus I can also use the same spare batteries previously purchased. 

timparkin 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Just be careful with water... It sheds the odd bit of rain but I killed mine in a long climb up a wet sron an lairig

Colin Wells 16 Jan 2021
In reply to timparkin:

Agree - the RX100s seem to be allergic to typically British winter climbing weather (mine packed in even though it didn't actually get wet on a Scottish winter jaunt). Went back to Canon - which (I may have just been lucky of course) just seem to keep going. Been using a G9x for winter for last few years - seems to be pretty impervious to British winter conditions so far!

Robert Durran 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Colin Wells:

> Agree - the RX100s seem to be allergic to typically British winter climbing weather (mine packed in even though it didn't actually get wet on a Scottish winter jaunt).

I managed to kill one (Mk 1) with water too - they seem to have a bit of a reputation for this. I replaced it directly because it was so good, but I might look beyond it next time. I see the Mk 4 claims to be reasonably robust with moisture and dust. A top end properly weathersealed compact would be great for climbing.

Post edited at 20:43
 Myfyr Tomos 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

With a viewfinder!

Robert Durran 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> With a viewfinder!

Yes, there's little pleasure in taking photos peering at a screen!

Stone Idle 16 Jan 2021
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Just found a lightly used rx100 m7. About one third off list price. Awesome capability - so far. Tilt screen sounded gimmicky but is very useful. Pop up viewfinder is also good. Slightly bulkier than the m1 but still fits the pocket.

Seymore Butt 17 Jan 2021
In reply to Mr. Lee:

What a coincidence my mk1 died a month ago after more than 5 years of quite heavy usage. Bought a mk3 to replace it. Happy now with evf and tilt screen. Have always been happy with the results even though I'm not an expert photographer. 

OP Mr. Lee 17 Jan 2021
In reply to timparkin:

> Just be careful with water... It sheds the odd bit of rain but I killed mine in a long climb up a wet sron an lairig

I live in Norway now, so apart from the odd wet ice route I'm generally not getting too wet (I'm not on the west coast). Learned just to use a small dry bag with the Mk I when needed. It looks like the lens motor that died on my latest mk 1. Think I had problems with the lens on the previous one as well, so that's been my issue. Can't complain about about durability as climbing cameras go though as they get a rough ride. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...