UKC

Sigma 19mm f/2.8 DN Sony E-mount (CSC)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 11 Jul 2018

Possibly an obscure question. 
I have a weathered "old" Sony NEX F3 which I rather like as a lightweight travel camera on city breaks etc. 
I've come to realise that although the 16-50 f/3.5-5.6 lens is decent enough for my trivial snapshots, and is fairly compact and light, I very rarely use it on anything other than wide settings. 

Anyone any thoughts on replacing it with the Sigma 19mm f/2.8? I'm not bothered about the speed change, I'll have to think about the "less wide" aspect but could probably quickly adjust to it (1.5 "crop factor" - yes I know I know - means going from "24mm equivalent" to "28.5mm equivalent" - yes I know I know). 

Will I really notice a change in optical quality? The Sigma is not exactly a compact little beast, actually 24g heavier than the zoom and 15mm longer which might make the whole camera less appealing as a lightweight travel toy (I barely notice the weight at the moment if I am just wandering around cities)

Second hand prices are reasonable and I can sell the 16-50mm. Wonder if I'll regret it though. 

Some context, I do have a Canon dSLR with these lenses: 18-135, 50mm, 55-250mm, 100mm. I use mostly the 50mm and 100mm on that. I sold the original 18-55 "kit lens" and haven't missed it. I got the 55-250mm very cheap in a charity shop, it's a cheap Sigma, it is OK for the £20 I paid! The 18-135 I got as "a heavier walkaround" and don't seem to use it much to be honest. It's as if I am geared toward primes (although further context is the Canon gets used almost only for low light concert situations!)

Tumbleweed!

In reply to Blue Straggler:

Anybody got experience/opinions on this?

Dan Arkle 07 Aug 2018

I also don't care if you replace your lens with one that will do exactly the same stuff - sorry!  

But I do appreciate your actual photography! 

In reply to Dan Arkle:

>

> But I do appreciate your actual photography! 

Thanks - where do you ever see it though? I post very little on here...

Mike_d78 08 Aug 2018

Hi, why not consider the Sigma 16mm F1.4, it is meant to be a great lens and I believe would be a big improvement on the 16-50. 

I have not used it, but I do fancy it and it gets great reviews...........

In reply to Mike_d78:

Cheers, I did see that but it’s rather more than I want to spend on my NEX F3 - it is now an old camera (and needs its sensor cleaning). For 16mm f/1.4 money I could consider starting from scratch tbh

In reply to Mike_d78:

And NOW look where you’ve led me!

ha ha

youtube.com/watch?v=dhcS7bZaMOo&

Mike_d78 09 Aug 2018

Ha ha ha, nice video.............although couldn't see anything to do with the Sigma lens.........the office looked to be quite cold though!

In reply to Mike_d78:

A very smart and funny lady. I like how she pretends to be pointing down at YouTube buttons but is really just pointing at her, er, points  

malk 09 Aug 2018

i have the 19mm for m43 and the 30mm for sony. both sharp but don't find myself using them much (open to offers)

i'd keep the zoom and go wider with a samyang 12mm f2

In reply to malk:

Thanks, seems a sensible answer although I never got along with manual focus with this camera (nor, really, with any digital! Odd given that I was fine with it on 35mm!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...