UKC

Trade in value on canon gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 18 Dec 2012
Any idea what I'd get for this lot. I've looked last eBay completed listings, but that can vary wildly. Also any recommendations for decent places to trade these in. Depending what I get affects what model body I buy. I know some of these aren't worth much.

Canon 400d
Canon eos 500n (film)
Canon 28-80 USM
Canon 75-300 USM
Tamron 90mm/f2.8 macro
Canon ef-s 18-55
 LukeO 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Philip:

No idea of worth but you could try ffordes to trade them in.

Hope this helps.

L
 Stone_donkey 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Philip: I looked to trade in a Canon 350D a few months ago and was told unless mint was essentially unwanted. Even mint wasn't going to be worth much, so I've kept it as a spare body (may convert for IR use at some point or let the kids play with it). If the 18-55 is a kit lens then worthless as trade. Similarly doubt you'll get anything for the Eos 500n film camera as you can pick up a top notch Canon film camera for peanuts these days. I don't know the other Canon lens models well enough to comment but you might get more for the Tamron macro.
 ChrisJD 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Philip:

Trade-in will not equal Ebay price. Shops they have to make a profit on 2nd hand goods and pay VAT on the profit element on 2nd hand sales.

On Ebay: for lenses, I usually work on a rule of thumb of 75% of new price for 1st party lenses (Canon, Nikon) and 50% for third party.

Camera bodies tend to depreciate to a base line (even very old DSLR bodies still seem have some value on Ebay).

The 400D should go at c. £140 on Ebay, you'll be getting <£100 Trade in.

I would expect to get c. 50-60% of the Ebay price via tradein.

Harrisons in Sheffield do a brisk trade in 2nd hand - but be prepared to take a hit if selling to them!
OP Philip 19 Dec 2012
I was hoping that there might be one or two people who've sold a lot like this and whether I'll get a better price as a job lot - a 400D with 4 lenses sounds a better deal than 1 lens, and the 3 lenses on their own might not get much.
 ChrisJD 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Philip:

For the ones under £100, stick them on UKC for free.
What Goes Up 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Philip: Agreed - I'd go for selling the lot on ebay as a well-rounded DLSR starter kit for someone. If you split, with the value of some of the bits in there (not to say they're worthless of coure) dding in postage and fees you won't get rich.

And trading in at a shop will basically get you peanuts. To give you an idea I recently enquired at London Camera Exchange about trading in a practially new (used five or six times over a couple of months) L series 100mm. Bought for around £750. They offered me £200 for it, regardless of whether it was cash or PX. In the end sold it privately for just shy of £600.
 ChrisJD 19 Dec 2012
In reply to What Goes Up:

> They offered me £200 for it,

Did you weep or laugh out loud?
What Goes Up 19 Dec 2012
In reply to ChrisJD: Knowing what they're like I was kind of expecting it, but to his credit the assistant making the offer (they pop into the back office to work out the quote) clearly knew he was taking the p#ss and that's just how the company works. I suppose they get lucky often enough though as they always have a good range of seconds available (at much higher than e-bay prices, although you do have some extra security with dealer-bought seconds I s'pose).
 bigdrew 19 Dec 2012
In reply to What Goes Up: The Derby London Camera Exchange gave me good money for a 350d last year when I traded it in against a LX5. I only asked for a laugh expecting to stick it on Ebay afterwards. It was pretty battered as well!

It is worth asking at least, you don't have anything to loose!
malaz90 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Philip: Hi,
If you were to split I would be interested in the 75-300.
Cheers
J
OP Philip 19 Dec 2012
In reply to malaz90:

I'm not going to try and sell anything this side of Christmas because of post and being away from home for 8 days. I'll post them on UK later. I'll bundle the 400D, battery grip, batteries and 18-55mm as a set, and sell the 28-80, 75-300, 90mm macro as separates.

I'll drop you an e-mail about it later.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...