UKC

Trading in X-T2 for XT-30 or XT-3?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Asher 23 Jan 2021

Hi, I've been happy with the X-T2 and I'm now considering trading up to the either the 3 or 30.

My preference would be the 30 as i mainly take stills and from what i've gleaned it more or less has all the features of the 3 in a lighter body and video is also an improvement on the X-T2. 

I'd be interested on feedback from 20 and 30 users on how they've found them, in particular how robust they are, as i will carry it climbing in all seasons (stowed in a dry bag)?

thanks in advance

Post edited at 09:03
 leadbeater 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Rick Asher:

I bought an X-T30 as a first digital ILC after using a Fujifilm X-S1 (superzoom/bridge) for about 5 years. The T30 is an excellent camera but I chose to trade it for the T3.

For me, the main benefits of the T3 are:

1. Larger EVF. I found the T30 to be too small, particularly in bright ambient light, although it is improved by the use of an eye cup clipped into the the hot shoe.

2. Weather Resistance. You’ll have an idea about how important this is to you. I worried about melt from snow/frozen gear getting into my bag with the T30. Less concerned with the T3 and a WR lens.

3. Balance with larger lenses. I didn’t like the 55-200 with the T30, even with an added grip/base plate. It pairs very nicely with smaller primes.

There is no doubt that the X-T30 is a superb camera but I’m very glad that I switched to the T3. 

The T3 has had a recent firmware update for improved AF (equivalent to the T4 apparently), not sure if this has been rolled out to the T30.
If I were looking for a non-WR body right now I would also consider the X-S10.

Hope this helps,

Phil

In reply to Rick Asher:

I would also consider the X-T4, if you could lay your hands on the cash.  The IBIS brings superior low-light performance compared to most of the X range.  I have an X-T1 and am waiting for the cost to come down before upgrading.

It is also rumoured that the X-E4 will be launched at the end of the month.  I have the X-E3 and X-E1 and find them brilliant for climbing, due to the compact design.  Neither have WR, so I'm hoping this may be addressed in the X-E4!  As a new model, cost may again be a deterrent though..

Sorry, can't comment on the other models you mention.

OP Rick Asher 27 Jan 2021
In reply to fairweatherclimber:

Yes, if the X-E4 was weatherproof it would make for an excellent camera to take climbing/on the hill, but I'd be very surprised.

OP Rick Asher 27 Jan 2021
In reply to leadbeater:

Yes, its that age old problem of additional weight.

I'd like to carry a quality camera whenever I climb, especially in scenic areas such as Scotland/Alps etc but i suppose it boils down to priorities and how much it means to the individual.

Not interested in the X-T4 as its starting to grow in size n weight.

The X-T3 is a cracking camera

galpinos 28 Jan 2021
In reply to Rick Asher:

> Yes, if the X-E4 was weatherproof it would make for an excellent camera to take climbing/on the hill, but I'd be very surprised.

It's not.

galpinos 28 Jan 2021
In reply to Rick Asher:

But more excitingly is that the new 27mm 2.8 is WR so combined with a WR body you can make your hill camera more "pocketable" whilst banging on about 35mm being the ONLY focal length to use.

In reply to galpinos:

And Ricardo

Disappointed about this but not surprised.  One of the recent compact bodies should have been WR; maybe next time..  

If I was buying today I might be tempted by the X-S10; compact body, up to date sensor and processor, plus IBIS.  No WR and without the signature manual controls tho 

My X-T1 feels fine for now, remaining compact and with WR.  With a stabilised lens like the 18-55mm or a fast lens like the 16mm F1.4, lack of IBIS is less of an issue.

Post edited at 13:56
 Solaris 28 Jan 2021
In reply to Rick Asher:

I have an X-T2. I bought it (to add to and update from my X-E1) for about half-price just as it went out of production. I had been thinking about a T3 but all the reviews (eg DPReview) seemed to me to say that unless I was wanting the improved video, it wouldn't be worth it.

T30? Not WR, and too small and potentially fiddly, especially whilst wearing gloves, for me. Less good, smaller view-finder. Weight difference compared to T3 or T2? Maybe, but we're getting near to cutting labels of clothing territory in terms of real world difference when on a long trek with the 18-55mm lens. I wouldn't take my T2 cragging or in the Alps, apart from on easy routes. Also, I've seen reports that the T20/30 are less robust (?plastic body) than the T2/3.

Downsides of both? No IBIS for WR lenses. Might be worth waiting until the T4 comes down further in price if you use a lot of non-OIS lenses.

If the spare cash is burning a hole in your pocket, I'll say what everyone says: Glass.

HTH

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...