UKC

What’s the best photo sharing site?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 colinakmc 13 Dec 2018

Seeking the collective wisdom of UKC. I need to move stuff to a photo sharing site as my laptop registry seems to be collapsing in some kind of Photoshop Elements induced chaos. Since Flickr went subscription only (in effect) what sites do folk use and which is best?

or should I bite the bullet and pay the Flickr sub?

Robert Durran 13 Dec 2018
In reply to colinakmc:

I never liked Flickr and abandoned it when it went subscription only.

I am now on a free trial of Smugmug which came out top in a comparison article I found. I am very impressed - it seems much simpler than Flickr to organise things and is very customisable (I went for something simple and the presentation it gives is great). I shall be taking out the cheapest, most basic, subscription at about £4 per month which seems excellent value with unlimited storage.

ChrisJD 13 Dec 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

Smugmug own Flickr....

Flickr is about same price as SmugMug at $50/year for unlimited

Post edited at 11:02
In reply to ChrisJD:

> Smugmug own Flickr....

> Flickr is about same price as SmugMug at $50/year for unlimited.

Yes, so you cam look at both and just decide which you prefer! (assuming you are happy to pay the subscription......... )

ChrisJD 13 Dec 2018
In reply to colinakmc:

I use Flickr (Pro) and upload albums direct to it from LR. 

All easily done using LR via  this Plugin in (there is also one fro SmugMug):

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/flickr

Means I hardly ever use the online Flickr album management interface.

Post edited at 11:09
 ChrisJD 13 Dec 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

Just thought it odd you abandoned FLickr as you had to pay, then went to SmugMug (who own Flickr) and then will pay the same price there!

The Lemming 13 Dec 2018
In reply to colinakmc:

I've been using the free flickr site for 11 years and never felt the need or desire to upgrade.

I'm not a professional trying to sell my work and I don't use any web based clouds to store my images.  I just use flickr to share a few of my images that I am proud of.

In reply to ChrisJD:

> Just thought it odd you abandoned FLickr as you had to pay, then went to SmugMug (who own Flickr) and then will pay the same price there!

I just thought I would look at my options and I immediately liked the ease and way Smugmug works for my purposes and the way it presents my photos.

Mike_d78 13 Dec 2018
In reply to colinakmc:

I use Flickr & Instagram for sharing.

I used to upload all my photos to Flickr as a back up but did a mass cull (thousands) when they announced the subscription. I am planning to a cloud back up system probably backblaze, seems a sensible thing to do...............

ChrisJD 13 Dec 2018
In reply to Mike_d78:

I use Backblaze - very good service; Just be aware that the first upload takes a looongg time. Nearly 6 weeks for me.

Luke90 13 Dec 2018
In reply to colinakmc:

Asking which photo sharing site to use is rather like asking which climbing shoes are best. It's going to depend on what you actually want to use it for. If you give more details you might get more useful suggestions. Backblaze and Smugmug, for example, are trying to fill completely different roles and there's no telling whether either would actually suit you.

OP colinakmc 13 Dec 2018
In reply to colinakmc:

Thanks for your views, everyone, I had a wee look at Smugmug (who came up with that name?!!) and it looks as though it might serve my needs (I.e. it needs to be simple to use and to share for someone who isn’t that good at “creative” applications). Backblaze looks as though it’s a generic cloud backup service, not for sharing files with other sites, would that be right? 

Sorry, when I used a computer for work I always had an IT wizard available to make my IT decisions for me, at the moment, having retired that’s the only thing I’m missing about work!

Mike_d78 13 Dec 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

Holy sh&t! How long? 

How many gB was that? 

ChrisJD 14 Dec 2018
In reply to Mike_d78:

Yep a very long time.  Dictated by your upload speed. Ours is around 5 mb/s. 3TB of data.

ChrisJD 14 Dec 2018
In reply to colinakmc:

> Backblaze looks as though it’s a generic cloud backup service, not for sharing files

Correct

But fixed fee, unlimited backup storage.

Post edited at 16:07
 Mike_d78 09 Jan 2019
In reply to ChrisJD:

Took the plunge with backblaze, my 600gb took a mere week to upload at about 1.5mb/s.

Glyno 09 Jan 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

> I've been using the free flickr site for 11 years and never felt the need or desire to upgrade.

> I'm not a professional trying to sell my work and I don't use any web based clouds to store my images.  I just use flickr to share a few of my images that I am proud of.

same here, 1000 images for free is more than enough for sharing (for me anyway).

Mr. Lee 10 Jan 2019
In reply to colinakmc:

I was more than happy to pay the Flickr sub after Smugmug took Flickr over. Rather that than have Yahoo maintain the previous free version that wasn't maintained and would probably be driven slowly into the ground over time. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...