UKC

Norway, ice climbing 3-10th Feb

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 m welch 10 Jan 2013
premier post photo
Norwegian ice climbing along the Sognefjord

I'm running an ice climbing trip to Aurland in Norway between 3rd - 10th Feb this winter and have had friends pull out so have 3 spaces left in a luxury cabin.

It's a world class area for adventurous ice climbing and within a half hour drive we have access to 4 valleys and a road network open in winter from sea level to 1200m and climbs from roadside crags to 900m monsters!

I've been guiding ice climbing there for 8 years and have a good knowledge of where to go and what to do, so finding your way about won't be a problem.
I'll be with clients but you'll be free to do whatever.

The cost will be £180 for the cabin, £90 approx for share of the hire car and approx £60 for food... we usually cook together. Flights costs are about £230 from Aberdeen to Bergen and we'll be doing a pickup from the airport on the Sunday afternoon and returning the next Sunday morning.

It's a step up from Rjukan with only one or two other parties in the area and a lot more scope for climbing some astonishing lines.

The temperatures in Aurland have been below freezing for about 6 weeks and only now has a thaw come in for a few days. It'll be thick and fat as usual over there with the snow more settled than it was!

Link's to the cabin and some photos of the area are here:

please visit http://www.aurland-fjordhytter.no/

please visit http://www.flickr.com/photos/martwel/

If you are interested as a single or teamed up then let me know.

All the best.

Martin Welch
tim blakemore 13 Jan 2013
I can't recommend this holiday enough. I've climbed with Martin in this area and can vouch that it is world class. There are a multitude of options at different altitudes and aspects - I don't think we've ever had a wash out in all the years we've been climbing there. Take binoculars, plenty of tat (you'll be rigging your own descents) and a sense of adventure.
Lastly buy whiskey at Aberdeen (but keep it away from Martin).

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...