UKC

Scottish Avalanche Information Service – Survey

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 PhilE 10 Mar 2021

Researchers at the University of Stirling in collaboration with the Scottish Avalanche Information service (SAIS) have launched a survey on “risk communication and understanding of avalanche bulletin”.

The aim of the survey is to gain better understanding of how published avalanche reports and the avalanche service is used and understood by climbers, hillwalkers, skiers and snowboarders engaging in activities in the winter mountains and hills.

The survey is being conducted by Dr Philip Ebert & Dr David Comerford of the Behavioural Science Centre at the University of Stirling in consultation with Mark Diggins SAIS.

The survey should take approximately 20min to complete and your answers will remain anonymous.

Your support and time with the survey would be greatly appreciated and will help us to develop and improve the information we provide.

Link: https://stir.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5gRzPMSjcdiH7lr

With grateful thanks,

Philip Ebert & Mark Diggins

SURVEY LINK

OwenM 12 Mar 2021
In reply to PhilE:

Sorry gave up on this,  too ambiguous. 

Mr Messy 14 Mar 2021
In reply to PhilE:

Filled in.  I found it thought provoking when answering the questions; self questioning. It will be very revealing how many say they are avalanche savvy (like I believe I am) only to get the questions wrong.  A self test with similar map questions and other related avalanche questions on the SAIS site would be a good addition I think..  A well done from me.

OP PhilE 15 Mar 2021
In reply to OwenM:

Hi Owen,

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry you found it too ambiguous. Difficult to find the right balance between detailed question and accessibility. If there is a particular question you found unclear let me know. We can't change anything now but for future surveys.

Best

Philip

OP PhilE 15 Mar 2021
In reply to Mr Messy:

Hi there

Thanks for the feedback. Great idea about the education material. I will talk to folks about adding some education material to the website. 

We will put together a summary report and share it on the SAIS website once the survey is analysed, so to share the most important results and findings.

Thanks for your time filling in the survey!

Best

Philip

biggianthead 17 Mar 2021
In reply to PhilE:

Done it. I found it straight forward.

It made me think and reflect on how easy it is get sloppy and drop one's guard.

When the survey is complete will you  the correct answers to the questions where that is feasible?

Cheers

Post edited at 15:21
 Graeme G 22 Mar 2021
In reply to PhilE:

That was interesting. Thanks.

I thought one question should have the option of ‘zero’. Unfortunately can’t remember which one. 

OP PhilE 22 Mar 2021
In reply to biggianthead:

Hi there,

We will post a summary report and some of the "ideal" answers where these are possible to give. I make sure to post a link on UKclimbing.

Thanks again for your time filling out the survey and glad you found it straightforward to answer.

Best,

Philip

OP PhilE 22 Mar 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

Hi Graham

Glad you found it interesting. Too bad you can't remember where a zero was missing but I think I know where (others sent me a message about a missing zero option earlier). Hope it was the same place.

Thanks for your time filling in the survey!

Cheers

Philip

galpinos 24 Mar 2021
In reply to PhilE:

Completed.

I feel very de-skilled after not looking at a SAIS forecast for 2 years.

colinakmc 24 Mar 2021
In reply to PhilE:

Done. That was very challenging!

OP PhilE 25 Mar 2021
In reply to galpinos:

Thanks for taking the time! 

It's definitely tough not having used it in a while but hopefully it helped you remind yourself of what the SAIS offer. 

Cheers

Philip

OP PhilE 25 Mar 2021
In reply to colinakmc:

Thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to fill out the survey. We really appreciate it.

We used a wide range of questions some harder than others...

Cheers

Philip

galpinos 25 Mar 2021
In reply to PhilE:

No problem!

colinakmc 25 Mar 2021
In reply to PhilE:

I enjoyed completing this. You’ve reminded me of the need for regular practice....no chance for this year though!

Post edited at 19:04
In reply to PhilE:

Interesting survey, filled it in.

A lot of it is highly subjective, I think unfortunately that detracts.

The bit about naming the five avalanche categories intrigued me, as it seemed to  e focussing too much on knowledge of the names of the categories as opposed to knowledge of the content of the categories i.e.,people can know about the categories in good detail without being able to state the names of the categories.

Overall though, one of the better surveys we see on here!

Post edited at 18:41

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...