UKC

7a max or Scottish Sport Climbs - Which one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 25 Dec 2020

Merry Christmas all.

Right, was just wondering which is better / has more on it, the 7a max guide or the SMC Scottish Sport guide. To narrow it down, if have no interest in climbing above 7a so don't feel I would miss out through not having then in the guide. Figured it would make sense to order the one with the most crags etc in it, unless one is significantly nicer than the other.

Thanks

Frank

BrendanO 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Frankie boy:

I’ve had tonnes of fun from 7a Max, I bought it before SMC was released. I like the style, directions, and attempts to work out non-car/moto access - plus it’s cheaper!

I have a couple of friends with SMC book - so can have best of both worlds. I don’t think there’s a ‘duff buy’ whichever way you go.

I’d buy both, and support more local activists

drconline 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Frankie boy:

We went for 7aMax but mainly because it’s quite a lot cheaper.

Not been disappointed.

Format  is good and it’s a better size for stuffing into a rucksack!!

Dave 

finc00 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Frankie boy:

7aMax I find easier to use and has very good topos in it

Scottish Sport has more in it.

OP Frankie boy 25 Dec 2020

Thanks all that's great. Yeah, If I'm being honest my thoughts are towards the 7a max guide. I do prefer the size (and price) of it and realistically I don't think I'm likely to be doing that much Scottish sport stuff where having the other guide would make a difference.

Grahame N 27 Dec 2020
In reply to Frankie boy:

It might be worth taking into account that all profits from SMC guidebooks go to the Scottish Mountaineering Trust - a charity which supports a range of initiatives connected with Scottish mountaineering - like footpath maintenance, mountain rescue, bolt funds, etc.

drconline 27 Dec 2020
In reply to Grahame N:

Not taking away from that at all, just to say that 7aMax donate 10% of profits to their bolt fund (disclosure: I have been a recipient of that fund for  Ardvorlich

In reply to Frankie boy:

The last time I picked up a copy of Scottish sport climbs, whilst beautifully put together, it was printed landscape with the spine down the short edge. Good for reading on the bog but won't last very long in a rucksack. 

robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 28 Dec 2020
In reply to Frankie boy:

It's not a book, but much of Scottish Sport Climbs is also in the Rockfax app.

OP Frankie boy 29 Dec 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Yeah, mainly for that reason I went for the 7A Max in the end. It certainly seemed that it would stand up to more days at the crag, and had plenty in it for what I'm likely to need.

OP Frankie boy 29 Dec 2020
In reply to robertmichaellovell:

Thanks for the info but I'm not a fan of the apps, so I'll probably miss out on that one.

Davy Gunn 29 Dec 2020
In reply to Frankie boy:

Both are good if a bit out of date. 7a Max has an excellent list of the best routes regardless of grade at each venue which is great to work through. There have been many new venue developments as you can find on UKC although not all on it. If you're climbing 7b and up then you need both books.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...