UKC

Acid cleaning of holds

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Oldham  church  dates from 1830 and is on Rock St

The rock that built it came from Running Hill.

SO Why oh why after 190 years have''YOU'' [Whatever  you  are] found it legitimate to Acid clean the holds  in the spanner Quarry. ?

Yes its a Acid

yes its ran down

yes it looks Sh1t

yes I will photo it some time

yes I am Very displeased 

Edit and Sadden by your work.

Post edited at 10:57
 Tom Valentine 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Name Changed 34:

Interesting about the source of the stone. How do you find out stuff like that?

In reply to Tom Valentine:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm It was told to me by Bob Tate, it maybe referenced in one of his writings.  However am I right that it was oldham church?  St Chads Uppermill is very close by, you have planted the seed of uncertainty.  Plus the County bounders altered, the pits were in Yorkshire.

Saddleworth Days - Walks in and Around the Saddleworth Hills. Paperback – 1 Jan. 1992

by Bob Tait (Author)

Post edited at 17:10
 Sean Kelly 19 Jul 2021

Bob Tate, a name that brings back memories.

Tom Valentine 20 Jul 2021

I wouldn't have thought the county boundaries made much difference: My local town hall deep in the heart of South Yorkshire is made of Portland stone and a very fine structure it is too.

This was done at least a year ago. I imagine the answer to your (perhaps) rhetorical question is that it was seen as being an effective way of removing all the lichen etc from Liquor, Loose Women and Double Cross as well as Passport to the Pits - I assume those are the routes you mean.

How do you know for certain that it was acid rather than a strong weedkiller?

Can you explain the connection between building of the church and cleaning the holds? I don't understand why 190 years has anything to do with whether someone has used some substance on the holds or not. The routes themselves were from the leg-ends Dougie Hall and John Smith who, despite how they look now, are not 190 years old and only did the routes in the 80s.

Passport to the Pits is brilliant BTW. I haven't been on LLW&DC.

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Last I heard he had moved abroad somewhere warm and sunny and was running walking  tours  something he didn’t Anyway

Bob is a nice  bloke always happy to share what he could and encourage others ( like yourself )

Was it Bob who was the mountain rescue team leader at the time of one of my favourite sarges?

One evening in winter it was decided the team would do a search for  the casualty and a stretcher of carry down

Casualty was dispatched to the top of  Channel Clough  knowing he didn’t have to walk down he took a half bottle of brandy   Probably fella sleep Awaiting his friends and team members to  sledge  him down.. with howling wind spindrift and  blizzards the search party decided that the casualty had gone home as they were not able to locate  having had refreshments And being discharged from the pub at 10:30 as you were in those days all was well  until the casualties wife on realising the lateness of the hour and that he’s not return began to worry  telephoning team members as to her husbands whereabouts  ... as the team were over refreshed or hung over it fell to Glossop  to find the casualty snoring And none to happy that he has to walk back down  

In reply to Frank the Husky:

> This was done at least a year ago. I imagine the answer to your (perhaps) rhetorical question is that it was seen as being an effective way of removing all the lichen etc from Liquor, Loose Women and Double Cross as well as Passport to the Pits - I assume those are the routes you mean.

> How do you know for certain that it was acid rather than a strong weedkiller?

Well of course I can’t be Certain 

If it was weedkiller used in this manner  would it be acceptable ?

> Can you explain the connection between building of the church and cleaning the holds? I don't understand why 190 years has anything to do with whether someone has used some substance on the holds or not. The routes themselves were from the leg-ends Dougie Hall and John Smith who, despite how they look now, are not 190 years old and only did the routes in the 80s

yes 

Clearly a natural Hue has built up over the time 

> Passport to the Pits is brilliant BTW. I haven't been on LLW&DC.

As said I have I uploaded  photos to show your handy work, and lack of ------ well just about everything, associated with respect.  

I think weedkiller would be perfectly acceptable, and I've used it myself at Shooters' Nab and a few other places roundabouts - it's less damaging than a heavy handed wire brushing session. Weedkiller and a stiff kitchen brush are all that is needed for a good clean like this, and clearly the effects are long lasting.

In reply to Frank the Husky:

> I think weedkiller would be perfectly acceptable, and I've used it myself at Shooters' Nab and a few other places roundabouts - it's less damaging than a heavy handed wire brushing session. Weedkiller and a stiff kitchen brush are all that is needed for a good clean like this, and clearly the effects are long lasting.

well if that is the view you hold so be it, and if the BMC approve more the pity.

I make the assumption you saw the photos I posted before your reply? and further assume you think the damage is, weedkiller, and acceptable.

In my view its not, and I am saddened to know that members of the climbing community do such a unsightly thing. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...