UKC

Artificial Bridge Cracks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulJepson 03 Jan 2021

These seem to be getting a bit of traction on social media at the minute so I thought it might be a good idea to have a place to share some locations (mostly because I don't know of any locally!).

deacondeacon 03 Jan 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

I'd love to try one. Any in Sheffield? 

The Pylon King 03 Jan 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

I really cant think of anything more depressing. But thats social media for ya!

David Bowler 03 Jan 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

If you are passing Shrewsbury there is a 100m long option.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4688559

Not sure what size cams you will need. I look forward to the video

Jon Greengrass 03 Jan 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

The one in Edinburgh featured in the Wideboyz videos is in the UKC crag database. Would be easier to search the database if you could search by rock type “concrete “

deacondeacon 03 Jan 2021
In reply to The Pylon King:

> I really cant think of anything more depressing. But thats social media for ya!

Really, nothing? Your imagination must be fairly stagnant then 😉

Grumbling about what others take part in for their enjoyment seems pretty depressing to me, but each to their own. 

The Pylon King 03 Jan 2021
In reply to deacondeacon:

> Really, nothing? Your imagination must be fairly stagnant then 😉

> Grumbling about what others take part in for their enjoyment seems pretty depressing to me, but each to their own. 

Thats not grumbling about what others take part in, its stating that I find the idea of jamming concrete to be a really depressing idea. At no point did I say that I thought anyone doing such a thing must be mentally retarded or something.

Post edited at 17:06
 Rob Parsons 03 Jan 2021

> Thats not grumbling about what others take part in, its stating that I find the idea of jamming concrete to be a really depressing idea.

It has its historic place: http://www.widefetish.com/pages/how_to.html#leavittation

>  At no point did I say that I thought anyone doing such a thing must be mentally retarded or something.

Until this denial I got the impression that it was implied. Personally I think people making the best of what you find locally is uplifting not depressing. For myself I get satisfaction in succeeding on challenges I set myself. These can be mundane local things (e.g. ridiculous bouldering eliminates) or something with wider resonance.

Gwain 03 Jan 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

Here's mine in Dartford. Only on Top Rope as there's a dpc that stops the cams holding. I've got a couple of other projects here too. 

Red Rover 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Gwain:

What's a DPC?

webbo 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

Damp proof course.

Gwain 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

Webbo beat me to it.

leland stamper 05 Jan 2021

You've never had to live in Essex!

GHawksworth 05 Jan 2021

> Thats not grumbling about what others take part in, its stating that I find the idea of jamming concrete to be a really depressing idea.

what others take part in - jamming concrete

not grumbling - a really depressing idea.

Are you sure? Sounds very much like grumbling to me.

The Pylon King 05 Jan 2021
In reply to GHawksworth:

grumbling

noun 1. the action or fact of complaining in a bad-tempered way.

depressing

adjective 1. causing or resulting in a feeling of miserable dejection.

Very different.

The Pylon King 05 Jan 2021
In reply to leland stamper:

> You've never had to live in Essex!

Thank f@ck.

That said I did used to live in Staines!!

cb294 05 Jan 2021

> ... its stating that I find the idea of jamming concrete to be a really depressing idea...

Give it a try. An actual bridge with pigeon shit and human piss is not very appealing, but the indoor version is great!

My office in our 1970s concrete and asbestos university palace has the floors divided by groups of four concrete pillars to make changing floor plans using movable walls really easy. The good bit is that every room therefore has several 3.5m high offwidth splitters exactly 14cm wide.

Too narrow for my knees, unfortunately, but my foot and calf jams and hand/fist stacks have become perfect over the last three years!

Recently I challenged a student who is climbing sports competitions several degrees harder than I could ever dream of to climb the "crack" in the tea room without laybacking, and it spat him right out...

Ha, 1:0 for the old guys!

CB

althesin 05 Jan 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

I've found a few so far;

Thin hand, Loughborough canal bridge
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ktzJnYrgecqMMqTm8

Offwidth

Near Measham Rd, Ashby-de-la-Zouch LE65 2UN

https://maps.app.goo.gl/fSuK442TvVZLktoh8

Tamworth, wide hand, high, river and skateboard park
Tamworth B79 7ND
https://maps.app.goo.gl/7ced8oKodu73YxES7

OP PaulJepson 05 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

> Give it a try. An actual bridge with pigeon shit and human piss

Mark's reputation precedes him :-D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...