UKC

Attempted but didn't get do much of it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi.

When I was with Offwidth and Buxton Coffee Lover at Burbage, I attempted to second  Bilberry Crack (VD) but due to my lack of jamming practice I only managed to remove one piece of protection.

Even though I didn't finish the attempt, is it worth recording it on here?

Also does the same go for the route I attempted with Adventure Expertise.

Bye

MS

gavinj 15 May 2022
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Hi Sav, before someone lays into you, I would say it is entirely up to you. If your logbook entries will give you pleasure and rekindle fond memories in years to come, put something in there! Cheers.

In reply to gavinj:

> Hi Sav, before someone lays into you, I would say it is entirely up to you. If your logbook entries will give you pleasure and rekindle fond memories in years to come, put something in there! Cheers.

Hi Gavin.

Thanks for this. Would it be a dnf? I can put a blog link in the record to clarify things.

MS

PaulJepson 15 May 2022

Yes dnf and always worth recording if you want to! 

Some people dont bother but I like to record my successes and failures in equal measure. 

You also might forget you tried it before if you ever come back to it and you could have a nagging feeling of deja vu. On the other hand, I've definitely climbed routes thinking it was the first time, only to see that I'd done it a couple of years before in my logbook!

brianjcooper 15 May 2022
In reply to PaulJepson:

> I've definitely climbed routes thinking it was the first time, only to see that I'd done it a couple of years before in my logbook!

I'm told it's my age. They all seem on-sight now 

In reply to PaulJepson:

> Yes dnf and always worth recording if you want to! 

Hi Paul.

I have recorded Bilberry Crack (VD) as a second with dnf. 

> Some people dont bother but I like to record my successes and failures in equal measure. 

Me too. I have posted a link to my blog ij tnt personal comments section.

> You also might forget you tried it before if you ever come back to it and you could have a nagging feeling of deja vu. On the other hand, I've definitely climbed routes thinking it was the first time, only to see that I'd done it a couple of years before in my logbook!

Thanks for the positiveness.

MS

Hat Dude 15 May 2022

It's better to have started and not finished than not to have started at all!

I'm sure you enjoyed the struggle

In reply to Hat Dude:

> It's better to have started and not finished than not to have started at all!

Too right.

> I'm sure you enjoyed the struggle

As far as I can remember I did enjoy the jamming I attempted.

MS

PaulJepson 15 May 2022

You'll get there! Jamming is something you can only really learn by practicing on rock, and in my experience the only way to improve at it is to find your failure point and throw yourself at it until it clicks and you have a new failure point!

In reply to PaulJepson:

> You'll get there! Jamming is something you can only really learn by practicing on rock, and in my experience the only way to improve at it is to find your failure point and throw yourself at it until it clicks and you have a new failure point!

Thanks.

For the top outs I was told that push ups and dips will help and for jamming pull ups would be helpful. 

MS

DaveHK 15 May 2022

>and for jamming pull ups would be helpful. 

To be honest there isn't much that will help with jamming other than jamming.

Cake 15 May 2022

> ....jamming pull ups would be helpful. 

Jamming pull-ups could certainly help!

The route I attempted on the BMC Ready to Rock course, according to my blog, was Limbo (S 4a) at  Stanage North.

As far as I can remember, the problem was a rockover.

What is it called when you toprope a sport route but remove the pre-placed quickdraws?

Sav

DaveHK 15 May 2022

> What is it called when you toprope a sport route but remove the pre-placed quickdraws?

I'd call that seconding.

In reply to DaveHK:

> I'd call that seconding.

Thanks

I attempted but failed a route at  Castleberg Crag the day before The Coaching Children Workshop. I remember removing a quickdraw and remembering being in toprope. I think it was a hip mobility issue that halted me.

Sav

In reply to Cake:

> Jamming pull-ups could certainly help!

What are jamming pull-ups?

I have a pull up tower but I have nothing crack related to attach to it.

Sav

Post edited at 21:58
 DaveHK 15 May 2022

> What are jamming pull-ups?

They're not really a thing, or at least not until you're already climbing at a pretty high standard and already know how to jam. 

Post edited at 22:03
 ThunderCat 15 May 2022

> Hi.

> When I was with Offwidth and Buxton Coffee Lover at Burbage, I attempted to second  Bilberry Crack (VD) but due to my lack of jamming practice I only managed to remove one piece of protection.

Bob Marley's preferred climbing technique apparently?

In reply to DaveHK:

> They're not really a thing, or at least not until you're already climbing at a pretty high standard and already know how to jam. 

I think I just need to jam more on real rock.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...