/ Best campsite for Froggatt?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
PaulJepson 03 Sep 2019

Advice appreciated

deacondeacon 03 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Eric bynes under birchen, although it's a ten minute walk from the car. Otherwise there's north Lees under stanage. Froggatt doesn't really have a campsite that you can walk to. 

The Wild Scallion 03 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

There is a small campsite in the village below the crag .

I never stayed before as it was fully booked one bank holiday weekend so cannot comment on the facilities .

Use the coordinates 

53°16'06.4"N 1°37'55.5"W

from 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/destinations/camping_in_froggatt-589993?v=1#x7800525

Post edited at 15:45
PaulJepson 04 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Thanks both. Will probably head to the one near Birchen as it'd be nice to get up early and tick some classic rock in walking distance.

Also the one in Froggatt looks like a bit of a punt for arriving late on a Friday!

The Wild Scallion 04 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

> Thanks both. Will probably head to the one near Birchen as it'd be nice to get up early and tick some classic rock in walking distance.

> Also the one in Froggatt looks like a bit of a punt for arriving late on a Friday!

It could be , I have no idea sorry.

I think you will find it more than a short walk if you are climbing at Froggatt.  

Eric Bynes is a 10 minute walk from the car park . You would then have to drive to Froggatt or walk a fair , fair way . IMHO

Fair enough if you are climbing at Birchen , that's a short walk.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Froggatt+Edge,+Hope+Valley/Birchen+Edge,+A619,+Bakewell+DE45+1PS/@53.263952,-1.63643,13z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x487a29fc9c8d4975:0x71e4a3a4760edc64!2m2!1d-1.631874!2d53.2842473!1m5!1m1!1s0x48798707bbe772ad:0x1665af5ed2468e23!2m2!1d-1.5831578!2d53.2524283!3e2

PaulJepson 04 Sep 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

Yeah I meant the walk to Birchen (where there is Classic Rock). I've read about the half mile walk between the campsite and the carpark!

Post edited at 08:24
brianjcooper 04 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Chatsworth and Gardom's Edges are quite close to the Eric Byne campsite too. Sorry for posting if you already know this.

Post edited at 11:36
PaulJepson 04 Sep 2019
In reply to brianjcooper:

Yeah have seen that but our primary objectives are Froggatt and Millstone. Will hopefully head to Birchen for a couple of routes as we're suckers for Classic Rock ticks and Nelson's Nemesis (VS 4b) looks fun.

There's absolutely loads to go at, but feel free to give me any must-dos at S-HVS at those crags...  

brianjcooper 04 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Birchen's Edge

Those named in Classic rock +

The Crow's Nest VS4c  (Quite bold near the top)

Trafalgar Wall S4b  (Desperate to get off the ground, then nice and balancy)) 

Nelson's Nemesis VS4b (Grit at its best)

Have Fun

pec 04 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Does the Eeric Byne site get used much? It always seemed a bit mad to have a campsite 10 mins walk from its car park. Having to make multiple journeys carrying all your stuff, especially as it might rain or leaving stuff in your unattended car overnight all seems like a pain in the arse. Fine if you're on foot, but not may people are.

The Wild Scallion 04 Sep 2019
In reply to pec:

> Does the Eeric Byne site get used much? It always seemed a bit mad to have a campsite 10 mins walk from its car park. Having to make multiple journeys carrying all your stuff, especially as it might rain or leaving stuff in your unattended car overnight all seems like a pain in the arse. Fine if you're on foot, but not may people are.

It's why I've never stayed unless I'm on a mtb bike trekking. 

It's a good site . A long walk in and cheap but the car issues concerned me with climbing gear. 

Hutson 05 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

On the other hand it’s pretty nice not to have to camp next to a load of cars. 

tonanf 05 Sep 2019
In reply to pec:

i reckon its easy to carry climbing kit then camping kit in 2 trips. then its great not having cars around.

PaulJepson 09 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Thanks for the info everyone. We ended up staying at Eric Bynes, which was great and just what we needed. Lady who ran it was lovely and price and location were perfect!

Walk from the road wasn't bad at all and could carry camping gear and climbing gear in a one-er. 

Didn't end up going to Millstone but got up: Heather Wall, Diamond Crack, Terrace Crack, Cave Crawl (lol), Hawks Nest Crack, Sunset Crack, Chequers Buttress, and Green Gut at Froggatt and Nelsons Nemesis, Camperdown Crawl, Powder Monkey Parade, Topsail, Sail Buttress, and the Crows Nest at Birchen. 

Feel knackered!  

Post edited at 13:06
Hutson 09 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Glad you had a good time. I was also at Eric Byne this weekend with some friends; really enjoyed it. I also managed to carry all my climbing and camping gear in one go which was just as well since I'd arrived via coach and bus; I don't think the walk is that bad at all.

PaulJepson 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Hutson:

I think we may have bumped into you, if you were amongst the climbing ladies!

Hutson 09 Sep 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

Yep, it was me and four other women. I briefly chatted to someone at the toilet block who said it was their first time on grit; not sure if that was you.

PaulJepson 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Hutson:

Nah not us, we've been a few times. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.