UKC

Black outdoor instructor endures racist hate campaign

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
EricaB 08 Feb 2012
This is soooo depressing and appalling. Goes to show. Cornwall is not-as Caroline Quentin would have us believe-chock full of quaint Doc Marten characters.You wonder what the police are up to ?

http://tohatchacrow.blogspot.com/2012/02/black-outdoor-instructor-targeted-...
 bradholmes 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: That really is appalling, hope they catch the idiots responsible.
 tim000 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: f^&&%^$^g idiot . hope they catch them and lock them up .
 JoshOvki 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

It is saddening that this sort of stuff still happens! It is also getting reported more often now, I am not sure if it is because it is back on the increase or because it is getting reported more. It should be stamped out either way.
 thin bob 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:
That is disgusting and shames the whole of the UK, let alone Cornwall and the few throwbacks with no brains that did it.
 thin bob 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:
A man and his family that just want to help kids, supports the local economy & look what happens. Disgusting.
Good luck Samuel and family.
 Ewan Russell 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:
This story really appalled me when I saw it the other day.
 OwenF 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

At the end: “Mr Farmer believes he has been targeted because of his skin colour, and if we find this is the case it will be treated seriously and investigated thoroughly."

So does that mean if it wasn't a racially motivated attack, then it's not serious? I don't get that, the man has had his belongings maliciously destroyed, simple as!! The fact it was motivated by race just makes it that much more heinous.

The whole thing is sickening and I feel deeply sorry for him and his partner. Fair play to him for not upping sticks and clearing off, but sticking to his guns!
 Phil1919 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: Thanks for posting that. The ignorance of the human being at times, is laughable. If there was a fund set up to help out I'd willingly contribute.
 Flinticus 08 Feb 2012
Depressing! and the extent of the hate is surprising, though it seems to me that rascism often flourishes in the counrtyside where attitudes can go unchallenged and the inhabitants have no direct dealings / friendships / acquaintances with others.
 Alan Breck 08 Feb 2012
Makes pretty sad & disturbing reading. What I found really disturbing was the apparent comment "Mr Farmer believes he has been targeted because of his skin colour, and if we find this is the case it will be treated seriously and investigated thoroughly" I would hope that the case would be investigated thoroughly in any case
 balmybaldwin 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

Unfortunately this seems relatively common in Cornwall, not so much the Racism (as is pointed out there's very few ethnic minorities living there), but the general dislike of outsiders.

Whilst it's clearly unacceptable that this couple have suffered such racist abuse, I'm not entirely sure that a white couple from Liverpool moving down there and setting up a business helping out inner city kids in the same way wouldn't have received similar treatment (less the racial slurs).

There certainly is a minority in Cornish (and other areas - Portland, North Wales?) society that hates the idea of "other" people coming on to their patch and enjoying it despite the good it does for the economy of the area
 balmybaldwin 08 Feb 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Also the same could be said of different areas of London not exactly welcoming outsiders
 Bobling 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

Unfortunately you get very stupid people everywhere, the urge to attack anything 'other' is one of the basest human instincts and one which most of us seem to be able to overcome but there always seems to be a minority which can't do so.

Agree about a fund/donation thing to get these folk back on their feet, that would be a great sign of this community's support wouldn't it. I'm sure some people would be able to donate in kind to replace missing kit...
 LaMentalist 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

heart breaking . 80(

They do seem like a focussed and driven family though , I am sure with some help they can get back on track very soon , I sincerely hope so .

I am willing to help out in anyway I can ( donations of kit , cash and labour ) & will let them know . I'm positive some good can & will come of this .

Leon
 doz generale 08 Feb 2012
In reply to Flinticus:
> Depressing! and the extent of the hate is surprising, though it seems to me that rascism often flourishes in the counrtyside where attitudes can go unchallenged and the inhabitants have no direct dealings / friendships / acquaintances with others.

My step father in law is a webbed fingered country bumkin type. He's racist by default. It was funny just watching him when he came to visit us in tottenham it was like an other world to him.

The other weekend we were round his place for dinner and it slipped out that he was born in the middle east, i had a great time winding him up.

I also find that the further away you get from the cities the more racism you get. fear of the unkown i suppose.

bradholmes 08 Feb 2012
In reply to Phil1919:
> (In reply to EricaB) If there was a fund set up to help out I'd willingly contribute.

Likewise, sounds like he lost a lot, I'd certainly chip in. Perhaps there's someone who'd set up a collection? Wouldn't know where to start, personally but would contribute.
 Gordonbp 08 Feb 2012
In reply to Flinticus:
It certainly does flourish in the countryside. I live in a tiny village just outside the Peak District where there are half a dozen holiday cottages. One day a coloured family came strolling up the road in the evening sun and one very prominent member of the community was heard to say (inside the village hall, looking out) "we don't want any of THAT sort here......"
In reply to Gordonbp: coloured ????
 Gordonbp 08 Feb 2012
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Brown......not black.
> (In reply to balmybaldwin)
>
> Also the same could be said of different areas of London not exactly welcoming outsiders

Are you sure? Almost everyone I know in London is an 'outsider' whether from another part of the UK or another country.

In reply to Gordonbp:
> (In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut)
>
> Brown......not black.

Please tell me you're not being serious
 chris wyatt 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

Ok the business email is :

the-hope-project@gmx.com.

I have sent the following :

Dear Sam

Quite a few of us on UKClimbing .com have read an article about an arson attack that you and your partner have had to endure recently. We would like to know how best we can help you get set up and going again.

Could you please either respond to this and I will post your reply or go straight to UKC http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=493772.

Thanks

Chris Wyatt

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=493772
 Stanners 08 Feb 2012
In reply to Gordonbp:
Coloured!?! You total racist! ...Only joking, but Black people are "Black" People you know. Don't worry, only realised how wrong it was to say "Coloured" myself recently.
 ChrisJD 08 Feb 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored

Has some comments about British usage of 'coloured': "not usually considered derogatory, though more accurate terms are preferable (particularly if referring to a single ethnicity)."

Timmd 08 Feb 2012
In reply to Gordonbp:

You can't say coloured anymore to mean somebody not white, or person/people of colour. My mum uses it and she's best mates with a brown Indian lady.

Either way you can't say coloured, which is probably fair enough, so people who aren't white aren't given a blanket label marking them out as 'other'.

Tim
 balmybaldwin 08 Feb 2012
> (In reply to balmybaldwin)
> [...]
>
> Are you sure? Almost everyone I know in London is an 'outsider' whether from another part of the UK or another country.

Yes...I'm not saying the whole community or every area, but generally amongst the youth... low level stuff generally not necessarily proper gangs, but school rivalries etc... among the older populations you get football area rivalries as well... north vs south of the river, tottenham vs arsenal, westham, millwall etc. It does tend to be in and around estates

You don't need to come from around here to belong, but if you don't belong we don't want you round here type attitude - and this definitely applies to all races and is much more area focused than racial.
 Ramblin dave 08 Feb 2012
In reply to ChrisJD: I think the comment from the NAACP is pretty sensible there - there are better terms that you'd want to use if you were writing a sociology essay or something, but it's not worth getting het up about if the intent obviously isn't offensive.
 Ramblin dave 08 Feb 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave: Or rather, better ways of talking about stuff. Or something.
 David Hooper 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: I know Sammy and I know how upset he is about this attack. Ill get in touch and let him know about the e xistance of this thread and the offers of help.

Its good to know that something good can come out of this shitty behaviour.
In reply to Timmd:

>Either way you can't say coloured, which is probably fair enough, so people who aren't white aren't given a blanket label marking them out as 'other'.

And can you say 'non-white'?!

jcm
 Phil1919 08 Feb 2012
In reply to chris wyatt: Nice one Chris. I'm afraid I'm not as proactive as you but I will definately give support if I can.
EricaB 08 Feb 2012
In reply to David Hooper:

when I read about this I thought about that controversial Dustin Hoffman film from the 70's...Straw Dogs. Anyone seen it. Pretty nasty stuff. About a couple who move to Cornwall and are terrorised by the locals
 David Hooper 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

Yep - my feeling is it is probably abpout outsiders rather than racist - but that makes it no less wrong.
 Ridge 08 Feb 2012
> (In reply to EricaB)
>
> Yep - my feeling is it is probably abpout outsiders rather than racist - but that makes it no less wrong.

True, although there's obviously a racial aspect. Bringing inner city kids into the village wouldn't endear anyone to locals anywhere though.
EricaB 08 Feb 2012

I don't know David. Samuel appears to have no doubts it is a racially motivated campaign and he should know. Also,two thirds of Cornish residents were born outside Cornwall and-apart from being mostly white-they don't appear to suffer arson attacks and get told 'get back to the feffin jungle' !
marmot hunter 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:
When I worked in Cornwall (for the council) they spent around £1m (apparantly) getting 'Cornish' identified as an ethnic gropu. When the forms came round the only option for 'Cornish' was:
White:
British
European
cornish

there was no option of 'black' and 'Cornish'
The forms were hastily redone to allow 'Cornish' and 'black'.
Was this evdience of systemic racism? or an 'error'???
I'll leave you to ponder
 The Pylon King 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

That is disgusting, its like 'Straw Dogs'. F**king inbreds
 David Hooper 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: good point
In reply to Bobling: Replacing missing kit seems a great idea - I'm sure we've all got extras and doubles lying around - I know I have. Failing that, let's all go down for a meet one day and show the village how many people believe in him...
 David Hooper 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: ive notified sam about this thread via facebook. he is not a ukc user but hopefully he will put in an appeRance on this thread at some stage
 Timmd 08 Feb 2012
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> >Either way you can't say coloured, which is probably fair enough, so people who aren't white aren't given a blanket label marking them out as 'other'.
>
> And can you say 'non-white'?!
>
> jcm

Good point, person who is not white I mean.

Wainers44 08 Feb 2012
In reply to David Hooper: The racist aspect is totally unacceptable and the cops just dont seem to be taking it seriously enough.
Although (dons helmet) I am NOT talking about this case but the reluctance to accept incomers has at least a little justification. Put yourself where the locals are...very poorly paid jobs...totally unaffordable housing...many coastal villages almost dead due the second home 4x4 weekend brigade who do their shopping in Waitrose/John Lewis' before they get to the county. Yet its the locals responsibilty to throw their arms immediatly open to the latest new part time resident before they have contributed anything to the community?

I WILL SAY THIS AGAIN, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THIS POOR GUY AND HIS FAMILY!

Find the sh*ts who did this and throw the book at them, but dont leap to sweeping generalisations about a largely friendly county. Blimey, a Devonian defending the Cornish...I could get lynched by my neighbours for that....!!!
In reply to EricaB:
Local people selling their parents home for the highest price is also an issue. This drove prices sky high. It is too easy to blame 'incomers'.
The South West (and Cumbria)'s economies are primarily tourist linked, not farming or fishing. So, when will these communities wake up to this and understand the holiday homes are an esential part of the modern community?
When I was last in the Lakes I saw a few cars with 'I'm not a local, I LIVE HERE' stickers on them. Very offensive. Seen similar down here in Devon and Cornwall too.
 Wainers44 08 Feb 2012
In reply to andyhodges: Oddly I do live here and dont recognise much of the locals only stuff you mention. Cornwall is generally a friendly place to be. I am there for work every week (down to St Ives again in the morning), surf there at least one a month and spend happy hols there every year so while not a resident I do know a little about the place.

Holiday accommodation has its role and every house bought by some loaded merchant banker was sold by a local in the first place, but in some villages they now exceed 50% of all the houses...no need for a school...shop...pub (good gastro pub at £50 a meal is a great local amenity). Anyway this is a side-track, the chap who fell victim to these thugs deserves our full support and the same from all the decent people in his community.
 fizz 08 Feb 2012
In reply to chris wyatt:

Hi Chris & David Hooper

Contacting Samuel sounds a great idea and happy to help as part of UKC if we can. Two ideas:

1) Not sure if The Hope Project is a registered charity but wonder if JustGiving is appropriate for any potential fundraising if so - it adds on tax to donations increasing the total amount.

2) I was really struck by London's Twitter army of 'clearer uppers' in badly affected streets after the riots, local traders really seemed to appreciate the show of support. The meet suggested on this thread sounds good (if wanted by the family!) maybe along with a visual show of barn wreckage tidying.

Either idea makes a local press story which helps publicise fundraising, if that's an option, and the second one is a photo opportunity for all the media who have already picked this story up and maybe some new ones - there are a few, I Googled. Publicity can't stop racists, but openly shaming a community might bring out some decent local support if folks are more aware of what's happening on their doorstep.

Have no ideas on how to set up a financial help fund but could do press bit if that's something Samuel wants at this point in time.

In reply to fizz:
Good idea. Getting the messages over is important:
1. Racism is intlooerable
2. UK Climbers support Sam
In reply to andyhodges:
3 Speelin is improtant
In reply to Wainers44:
I'm not sure which bits you do/don't recognise.
If over 50% of the houses were sold then I am guessing over 50% of the houses weren't needed... why sell them otherwise? how many are actually sold to bankers? (don't get me wrong, a merchant-banker target practice Olympic medal event is a good idea in my book!)
Let's hope the WMN will take this story up.and Spotlight?
 Wainers44 08 Feb 2012
In reply to andyhodges: Its nothing to do with un-needed housing, its about poor pay and easy access available to people with dosh from elsewhere. No easy answers.

Lets hope you are right about the local news though...at the moment no mention of this attack at all, yet other arson stories seem to be covered. Very odd? Will listen out on Pirate FM to see if there is any coverage on there tomorrow.
In reply to Wainers44:
No chance I reckon. I hope I am wrong but the press down here doesn't seem to notice stories like this. I wonder why?
 tonanf 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: If it is possible to support the outdoor experience business/charity which has been targeted, it will be an amazing testament to the strength of the climbing community. I think 'we' would/should assist the man/charity/business in question, without hesitation. I think such support should be forthcoming for any genuinly passionate activist in climbing/outdoor pursuits and perhaps this site is the place to co-ordinate it. Like our own social security. I'm in for a £5 if its genuine (which I have no reason to believe otherwise). The BMC should match any funds raised!
In reply to tonanf:
I'm in. It's little more than a round for him and me. Happily buy this guy a pint.
 fizz 08 Feb 2012
In reply to tonanf:

nice idea, just noticed that this post has had over 2,000 views - so if every UKC reader of this thread gave a penny to any potential fund ...

just saying ...
 biscuit 08 Feb 2012
In reply to Wainers44:
> (In reply to David Hooper) The racist aspect is totally unacceptable and the cops just dont seem to be taking it seriously enough.

How do you know what the police are, or aren't, doing from a very standard press release and one quote that was also standard Police speak to the press ?
 biscuit 08 Feb 2012
In reply to fizz:

They would have ....£20.

Maybe if everyone gave a pound ?
Talius Brute 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

This is disgusting. This should be high in the national press agenda (like the woman on the bus / tube in London), and the Cornish police should be focusing on this and the other examples of racist hate linked to above.

London-centric press just not interested.

BMC and other over-arching groups could get involved and raise the issue? It isn't of course related at all to climbing or outdoor activities, but they might have a voice to give it wider publicity and attention.
 Wainers44 08 Feb 2012
In reply to biscuit:
> (In reply to Wainers44)
> [...]
>
>
> How do you know what the police are, or aren't, doing from a very standard press release and one quote that was also standard Police speak to the press ?

As quoted in the piece and commented on by others, the statement seems to imply that the attack will only be given full attention by the cops if a racist element is certain. Isnt arson, which for all we know could have endangered life serious enough??
 fizz 08 Feb 2012
In reply to biscuit:

more like it! *blush* financials aint my strong point!!!
 Ridge 08 Feb 2012
In reply to tonanf:
> (In reply to EricaB) I think such support should be forthcoming for any genuinly passionate activist in climbing/outdoor pursuits... The BMC should match any funds raised!

That's a bit of a leap. I'm all in favour of supporting Samuel and his family, but that doesn't mean I'm automatically in support of any 'outdoor activist'. Anyway, this threads
probably not the place for this sort of discussion.
In reply to Talius Brute:
http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Race-hate-campaign-ended-arson-attack/story-14...
they did report it afterall. Shame it wasn't worthy of a front page though
 Ridge 08 Feb 2012
In reply to andyhodges:
Poor bloke. Those photos are heartbreaking.
In reply to Ridge:
Yep, starts to bring it home even more.
Talius Brute 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

I'm really glad that racism in football is finally being tackled strongly, and making the main news. With that and the other actions and publicity around things like the racist woman on the bus, it is becoming clear to the low life that it is just not acceptable any more.

Provincial areas will always lag on these issues. The Cornish councils, press, police etc should get their acts together to start communicating about the issue.
 nikinko 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

Horrible thing to happen. I'd fully support anyone who wanted to get together some kind of donation page, and happy to put a day in on clean up next time I'm near the area.

For those who've commented about justifying the rural community in disliking outsiders, It's ironic that a number of the young people the Hope Project seeks to support are ethnic cornish young people living in the larger towns in cornwall.
 Kemics 08 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

Not that it really makes any difference but some how more tragic how good their intentions are, trying to make a difference in a positive why.

Can't imagine how that conversation started by the f*cktards

"these people come here, set up a charity. Trying to help disadvantaged kids...they need to be taught a lesson"

I suppose you only need 1 or 2 people to have a really effective hate campaign. Rather than it being a bunch of people it's most likely just a few very stupid people.
 KiwiPrincess 09 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

That is disgusting

A reminder to us all to speak up when we hear things said that are wrong, and don't allow Racist, sexist, unkind behaviour to be normalised.
In reply to EricaB: I live too far away to practically get involved in a clear up, but I'm in for £20 for any fund which gets set up.
 Sandstonier 09 Feb 2012
In reply to KiwiPrincess:
> (In reply to EricaB)
>
> That is disgusting
>
> A reminder to us all to speak up when we hear things said that are wrong, and don't allow Racist, sexist, unkind behaviour to be normalised.

Agree with what your saying here.We also need to challenge the racists and bigots who quite often haunt these forums.
 Sandstonier 09 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: I'm afraid the police haven't got a very good track record when it comes to investigating these kind of crimes. Their role is to deal with the 'mob' and protect the interests of the 1%.I'm always amazed when I see the large numbers of officers patrolling the area just north of Regents Park: until I remember that this is one of the most expensive areas in London.
 Simon Caldwell 09 Feb 2012
In reply to fizz:
> if every UKC reader of this thread gave a penny to any potential fund ...

Hopefully any fund would have conditions attached, eg they have to insure everything properly in the future.
 Stone Muppet 09 Feb 2012
In reply to Toreador: Do we know that they weren't insured? WHere from?

I'd chip in to any fund if someone sets it up. Insured or not this is a truly terrible incident. One would hope the actions of a few idiots but if the wider community is inhospitable to outsiders they should be aware that they contribute to that action in a way. The victim is quite right, you don't see enough black kids in the great outdoors.
In reply to chris wyatt:
hello chris what can i say im realy realy humbled totaly, that you guys are talking about my sutuation hey the ful name of the org is the beacon of hope eco heritage trust and my tel is 07542187154 as for help you have done it already in me seing that im in a very smal bubble that isnt real . i havent got any tents rope hey poo the list is too big!! y know what the best thing for me would be to petition cornwal councils culture division to make them show how we can be protected from this type of thing espesialy when cornwall is going for the region of culture in 2 years we as outsiders, outdoors people, need to know that we are protected in doing good work for the youth local and afar .
there is a very large elephant in the cornish room and this needs to be discused . hey please invite all the comunity to come stay at the eco site on st agnes beacon hill and see the outrageous beuty that they want me to not show you i am on face book as samuel farmer .ericab you rock dave hooper you are a star keep shining
In reply to Stone Muppet: we wernt insured due to the other fiires and vandalism made costs massive 80k but hey im not here to ask for anything just to say thanks for taking about it samx
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr: thanks sister /brother talk to cornwall council about what they will do to help us we cannot at present go or stay there to clean up they are hoping we sel and go but we wont ever do this .
In reply to Stone Muppet: so tru recreation is for the rich lets end that in a good way we need to promote the tripple bottom line profit,enviroment ,comunity .buisneses that dont adhere to this are antiquated and need to go
In reply to KiwiPrincess: here here speak up for all minoritys espesialy ones that you are not part of lets chang the world with small steps poo computa is timing out bye peeps
In reply to nikinko: thanks brother please just come stay x
In reply to Kemics: beutiful places make people act good and bad isnt that strange
In reply to Ridge: you guys keep humblin me x
In reply to Wainers44: the police are part of the campaign to get rid of us x
In reply to biscuit: good idea send a pound and i give you back a holiday i like it xxxx
In reply to tonanf: thanks for the thoughts come and visit me please you will see for yourself ps the unity boys club are comin in two months speak to ricky jones he will tel you who we are thanks for speaking of us x
 Rampikino 09 Feb 2012
In reply to the hope project:

A little googling shows that Cornwall County Council Culture Contacts (that's a lot of Cs) are here:

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=17634

I will happily drop them a line to raise my concerns about this issue and I hope others will too.

Good luck Hope Project
In reply to andyhodges: thanks andy x back to you sam
 chris wyatt 09 Feb 2012

OK Sam. When the dust has settled please let us know what you need. A long list is fine!

kamala 09 Feb 2012
In reply to chris wyatt:
Good work, cw!

Sam,
if you'd like to talk to someone on a possibly useful committee of the BMC, email me through the forum (http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/email.php?u=32863 - post here to let me know if you're getting in touch, my email filters can be a bit harsh). Not sure exactly what might come of it but maybe we can find you some sort of practical support.
 bradholmes 09 Feb 2012
In reply to the hope project: Hey Sam, sorry to hear about this mess, keep up the good work you're doing and stay positive man.
Mr JustDoIt 09 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: What a great job Samuel is doing, it's absolutely pathetic that Panther isn't. The last paragraph leaves me thinking that arson isn't a serious matter.
 Goucho 09 Feb 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: How true, and it's a shame the reputation a whole county gets tarnished because of the small minority of under endowed inbreds, invariably married to their sister, and with an IQ which seldom gets into double figures, even when the whole family joins in, and who's lifetime ambition is to one day own a 15 year old Vauxhall Corsa, and to possibly have sex with someone they're not related too.

Of course it all stems from insecurity and jealousy, and as far as die hard cornish folk are concerned, even Devon and Dorset folk are unwelcome interlopers.

I just hope one day, these f*ckwits wake up and realise, that without tourism, they'd all be living on seaweed and gravel sarnies.

On a serious note, if the folks here on UKC are thinking of starting a donation fund for this poor guy and his family, count me in.
 Boogs 10 Feb 2012
In reply to Goucho:

Sea weed and gravel sarnies ay ? thats sounds quite nice actually , I may try those tomorrow ;0). ( with a nice home made mango chutney )

I'm up for donating too , I will put a load stuff on ebay at the weekend and happily donate the funds from sales . Can probably donate a couple of days graft as well as some kit too .

Keep smiling Sam , be strong and hang in there man .

Boogs X.
 Bruce Hooker 10 Feb 2012
In reply to Goucho:

> How true, and it's a shame the reputation a whole county gets tarnished because of the small minority of under endowed inbreds,

I hope it is a small minority, but it goes way back. In the 70s there was a pub in St Ives which refused to serve anyone with long hair (men that is) - the sign on the door said something like "no long haired hippies or students will be served"!

Seems they've moved up a step on the ladder of violence since... and there was me telling people in France that "Straw Dogs" was really exaggerated when it came out.

And yet there are also a lot of nice people in Cornwall... too much arsenic in the cider perhaps?
 Ridge 10 Feb 2012
In reply to Bruce Hooker:
People seem to be desperate to make this a uniquely cornish/rural problem. There are knobheads everywhere. I'm sure if a country bumpkin moved to the inner city to set up an urban farm for vulnerable kids he'd get the same shit that Sam has had to endure. Fun as ranting at the inbreds is, it's not much help to Sam, and it's a form of denial that such things wouldn't happen in the sophisticated urban areas.
 Offwidth 10 Feb 2012
In reply to Goucho:

Yeah right... lets face racism by making the same sort of crazy characatures as the racists and pretend its all down to a few local stupid folk.
 wilkie14c 10 Feb 2012
In reply to andyhodges:
From that page:
"Racists have tried to run me over and they have chased me down the lane and spat on me. Police have repeatedly refused to take my statement. They say I have no evidence."

Maybe I'm a little bit old fashioned but isn't gathering evidence a f**king police job?? Is that why the murder level down there is so low - The police can't get a statement from the murder victim?

In reply to whole thread:
A meet would be a great idea and no doubt great fun too. Bet most of us have a bit of gear we don't need that could be donated, I know times are hard but whats a fiver? couple of pints or one session at the wall...

In reply to Sam:
Fight on mate knowing you have support here. there are no blacks/whites/ethnic groups here, just climbers
 Goucho 10 Feb 2012
In reply to Offwidth: It is down to a few stupid local folk...FFS!!!!!

Why is it that you always have an overwhelming need to take a contrary point of view on every bloody subject that's discussed on here.

nikinko 10 Feb 2012
In reply to Goucho:
> (In reply to balmybaldwin) How true, and it's a shame the reputation a whole county gets tarnished because of the small minority of under endowed inbreds, invariably married to their sister, and with an IQ which seldom gets into double figures, even when the whole family joins in, and who's lifetime ambition is to one day own a 15 year old Vauxhall Corsa, and to possibly have sex with someone they're not related too.

how ironic, that in a post complaining about reputation of a country being tarnished becuase of generalisation, you have generalised about a part of our community. As someone born and brought up in the South West, with a number of my family there I find your post incredibly insulting. Perhaps I should send you my birth certificate, a photo copy of my Ba(Hons) degree in which I got a first and my car registration documents and my partner's birth certificate? Perhaps you have had bad experiences in cornwall becuase of your total lack of respect for the local people and culture?
 MG 10 Feb 2012
In reply to nikinko Did you not notice the bit where it said "...the small minority of...". His whole point seemed to be that most of the population are *not* like he described.
 nikinko 10 Feb 2012
In reply to MG:
> In reply to nikinko Did you not notice the bit where it said "...the small minority of...". His whole point seemed to be that most of the population are *not* like he described.

fair enough, I've proved his point about IQ (or at least not being able to read!). I still find the language used to describe locals disrespectful though.
 The New NickB 10 Feb 2012
In reply to nikinko:

To be fair Goucho, which is hard because I find him to be generally disagreeable, he isn't having a go at the Cornish / South West, just a small minority that exist everywhere.

I actually disagree with him though, whilst only one or two people may have been responsible for this extreme act, we still live in a country where racism and other forms of descrimination are common and often widely tolerated in private. That point isn't specific to the South West.
In reply to nikinko:
> (In reply to MG)
> [...]
>
> fair enough, I've proved his point about IQ (or at least not being able to read!). I still find the language used to describe locals disrespectful though.

I still think you are missing the point.
 wilkie14c 10 Feb 2012
In reply to nikinko:
> (In reply to MG)
> [...]
>
>I still find the language used to describe locals disrespectful though.

Me too, even the worst of the worst would aim highter than a corsa. Vectra or Mondeo maybe but not a corsa
 Bruce Hooker 10 Feb 2012
In reply to The New NickB:

I never came across pubs anywhere else with notices on the door telling long haireds they wouldn't be served though.... There's the one in Glencoe about Campbells, but that has a historical basis - I don't know if it's still there even.

Last time I was in Cornwall I was following a public footpath, signed from the road, which seemed to go through a farmyard come garden. I women was washing her car so out of politesse rather than any real need I asked if the path really went there... she replied with a snarl "Proper hikers have maps!" Charming, I thought!

Without generalizing I think there is evidence that there's a bit more resentment of outsiders down there than on average, but often, like my car lady, they are outsiders themselves who have moved there themselves.
 Phil1919 10 Feb 2012
In reply to boogie man: Lets not degenerate the thread too much. Some simple way of donating would be appreciated for those of us who live a lng long way away from Outer Cornwall. I'm always amazed how far it is down there.
 biscuit 10 Feb 2012
In reply to Wainers44:
> (In reply to biscuit)
> [...]
>
> As quoted in the piece and commented on by others, the statement seems to imply that the attack will only be given full attention by the cops if a racist element is certain. Isnt arson, which for all we know could have endangered life serious enough??

No they say that they will of course take it seriously if it turns out to be a racist incident. Nowhere do they say they wil not take it seriously if it's not. That is being implied by those who read the, admittedly not very well worded, statement.

Arson of £70000 is not a minor incident and can only be tried at crown court due to how seriously the justice system treats it.
 Goucho 10 Feb 2012
In reply to nikinko: Use your BA (Hons) and read my post again, only this time correctly - i did not generalise, but in fact said it was a shame that a 'small minority' were tarnishing the reputation of a county.

Your degree was obviously not in reading!
 Goucho 10 Feb 2012
In reply to The New NickB: To be fair to you, you tend to find most people who disagree with your viewpoint 'generally disagreeable'.
 gribble 10 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

Hi all. It's a good thread, shows a lot of warm hearted people. I'm going to Cornwall on Tuesday morning and will be passing St Agnes. If anyone feels they can offer any equipment/cards/good wishes, I'll happily drop them off on my way through. I live in Sheffield (S7), and can collect stuff locally or feel free to drop it off at my house or I could meet you at one of the local walls. Probably easiest to contact me by personal mail through UKC.
Best regards
Graham
In reply to Goucho:
> (In reply to The New NickB) To be fair to you, you tend to find most people who disagree with your viewpoint 'generally disagreeable'.

No, not really.
 Rubbishy 10 Feb 2012
In reply to ruckman:
> (In reply to KiwiPrincess)
> [...]
>
> Agree with what your saying here.We also need to challenge the racists and bigots who quite often haunt these forums.

In the 12 years I have been prowling the forums, UKC has demonstrated a pretty good record of challenging and ostracising the racists.

Anyhoo, Someone suggested a Justgiving page or similar - good idea. Is it also a possiblity to arrange some sort of kit donation to get the guys back up and running as soon as possible?

The idea of some of us heading over to work on the rebuilding is great - count me in.

bradholmes 10 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: Hi everyone, I don't know Samuel personally but if nobody else is setting anything up, I am happy to set up all the necessaries for a Justgiving account. We do need to arrive at a consensus here, though. I'm not exactly a well known member on UKc, but will happily provide personal details so's you all know I'm not a dodgy scammer!

If there is somebody else planning on setting up an account, speak up or alternatively can everyone give me the go ahead on this? I'll give it a couple of days to get as many replies as possible.

Brad Holmes
 thin bob 10 Feb 2012
I'm going down to weymouth in a couple of weeks from London. I can think of a million good reasons for continuing down to St Agnes and can't think of a bad one . If I can bring down kit from London, could I camp for a day or two as well before coming back?? I'll pay of course!

[I'd love to do it anyway, but really can't afford to do it just as a trip, dole and all that].

Any particular stuff you need / don't need? you can only have so many number 10 wallnuts before you have to start using them as windchimes ......
 biscuit 10 Feb 2012
> (In reply to Wainers44) the police are part of the campaign to get rid of us x

Then you need to be getting in touch with the Superintendent, or maybe Chief Super, in charge of their community safety department and complain. If you believe the crime was racist then by law it has to be treated as such. It doesn't even have to fall into this category to be treated as a hate crime. You being an 'outsider' the work you are doing etc. all point towards that. It seems there has been a pattern of behaviour, not necessarily by the same people, that has left you a victim of a horrible crime and i would guess feeling very isolated and vulnerable. They should be queueing up to support you. However they may be trying to avoid marking a crime down as a hate crime due to it looking bad on their stats.

If you're not getting anywhere with the local police get onto your MP and complain. They are generally very helpful and don't all sit on their arses doing nothing. If they won't help get onto the MP for the area where your kids come from i am sure they will support you.

If you need any further advice on how to go about this kind of thing just get in touch via this site.

Best of luck.
In reply to thin bob: hey thin bob thanks for your thoughts please come and stay, but i think the message that people from the outside of a beutiful place usualy run the risk of anamosity from those in the location and cornwall us famous for this needs to be heard .this needs to be adresed to the culture department to answer for us, are we protected ,after all cornwalls greatest export is miners who went to live all over the world .so taking stuf of you guys would dilute the message like i got paid but hey if you guys come and stay i can make a meal for a bit of kit .28 brunel court truro tr13ae hers my ad come an stay at the land thanks x sam
In reply to chris wyatt: hey thanks chris you dont know what you guys have done to carlas spirits!! the thoughts have made all the difrence nice one ps lets have a barbie asap
In reply to Rampikino: like this im spreadin it thanks ram kettles on x
In reply to nikinko: thanks ni it means a lot to see all this thoughts roll on summer x
In reply to biscuit: we told them over thirty times and have statments to show its totaly stupid it wastes your time reporting it they dont want the figures messed up so the council is my only least place to go x
In reply to John Rushby: hey john lets have a barbie that will heal us both in a posative way your campsite awaits x
 paul ferris 10 Feb 2012
This is horrendous - I hope you can get everything back in working order soon.

Best wishes for the future,

Paulo
 biscuit 10 Feb 2012

Depends what level you've been dealing with. CID detective constable/sergeant who doesn't want a very hard to detect hate crime on their books or someone further up the chain who sees the big picture and wants to avoid repeat crimes or things getting even worse.

If you don't want to go to the police, and i understand that, then at least go and see you MP at their next surgery. They can get things moving like no-one else.
EricaB 10 Feb 2012
I'm so pleased I started this thread. What a fantastic outpouring of love and concern for poor Samuel and his family. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in fear of mindless intimidation,abuse and violence

Sounds like things are moving with regard to UKC-ers offering equipment and practical support. Is anybody coordinating this effort ? I'm sure Sam doesn't want to end up with about 30 fluffy ropes and half a dozen mouldy cracked climbing helmets etc ect... If it's being used with youth groups it has to be 100% sound and useable. Kayaks-if anyone is donating any-will be less important as they get scratched and knocked about anyway. What about a few bags of horse feed! Sam mentions he uses horses in The Hope Project?

Great effort all round
 bradholmes 10 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:
> I'm so pleased I started this thread. What a fantastic outpouring of love and concern for poor Samuel and his family. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in fear of mindless intimidation,abuse and violence
>
> Sounds like things are moving with regard to UKC-ers offering equipment and practical support. Is anybody coordinating this effort ?

Hey Ericab, see my slightly earlier post, others have volunteered help and gear etc, sure things will come together over the weekend when folks have a bit more time to hand to make arrangements.
In reply to John Rushby and Samuel:
>> The idea of some of us heading over to work on the rebuilding is great - count me in.

Hmmmm this has all the trappings of a UKC Picnic/DIY weekend in Kernow.....now there's a thought!!??

La Sham x
 Puppythedog 10 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: If we can fit it with Work Mrs The Dog (to be until June) and I are happy to offer our services.
 Paul Evans 10 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:
I've made contact with Graham from Sheffield and will be meeting up with him to donate my surplus gear to the Sheffield to Cornwall run, would be good to get a list of what is needed, sorry if I missed it, it's a long thread.
 gribble 10 Feb 2012
In reply to Paul Evans:

Cheers for that Paul. I've got more donations to add to it as well, and offers of cash. Also potentially national media coverage, but that's always another story. As it were.
> (In reply to EricaB)
>
> Unfortunately this seems relatively common in Cornwall, not so much the Racism (as is pointed out there's very few ethnic minorities living there), but the general dislike of outsiders.
>
>

I have to agree. There is a Cornish nationalist movement which is virtually anti-everybody. I once got on the wrong side of them on a debate forum. They tried to get me to lose my job, and attacked my wife's employment. They even went as far as to post sick paedophile type comments under photos of our then 8 year old daughter on our photo hosting site. I’ve kept away from them since then.

nikinko 11 Feb 2012
In reply to gribble:

anyone heading down that way from Surrey soon? I've got some gear I'd send down with you.
 thin bob 11 Feb 2012
In reply to nikinko:
I'm going down from London in a couple of weeks.

I spoke to Sam and he said what is also really important is to contact the cornish cultural council .
 Mark Kemball 11 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: I live in North Cornwall, have done for nearly 25 years. There does seem to be a "default" racist attitude amoungst many local people, but what upsets me most is the overtly racist attitudes of many "incomers". I have had people tell me that they moved her from London "to get away from the wogs" and what is worse expect me to agree that this is a good thing.
 Wainers44 11 Feb 2012
In reply to biscuit:
> (In reply to Wainers44)
> [...]
>
> No they say that they will of course take it seriously if it turns out to be a racist incident. Nowhere do they say they wil not take it seriously if it's not. That is being implied by those who read the, admittedly not very well worded, statement.
>

Since I posted that Sam has confirmed on here that the Police are not part of the solution to his problems. Badly worded statement or actually revealing?! You have your view, I'll stick to mine
 Paul Evans 11 Feb 2012
In reply to gribble:
Anyone in Manchester who wishes to donate anything, I'll be at MCC tomorrow Sunday around 11AM for 2-3 hours, and I am making a run over to Graham in Sheffield with my donations on Sunday or Monday, he's taking stuff down on Tuesday.

I'll make myself known to the MCC staff, so ask at reception if you don't know what I look like!

Not sure what is needed, but to avoid overloading Graham's car I suggest nothing too bulky please, and as others have said, technical rock climbing gear is probably not appropriate due to PPE regs.

Paul
 gribble 11 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

Hello again. I spoke to Sam, basically he needs anything connected with taking kids outdoors, so I guess that would include bulky things like tents and sleeping bags! I'll just stuff the car to bursting point and see how it goes.

He's asked me to start a thread with some of his thoughts/ideas, which I'll get round to doing fairly shortly.

Thanks
graham
In reply to La Shamster: i like it a barbie build mission mabe ukc would concider calling the hope project its cornish club house im game if you guys feel its right lets barbie !!sam
In reply to EricaB: helo erica at first i thought that its best to not accept stuf due to the logistical problems insuring security and honesty but i see now i was nieve as last night i got three calls saying stuf is loaded and on the way and cant go back so it seems we have to accept out of gratitude , respect to you kind people and also so it can be safly anhd securly orginised .so with this in mind what we need is one person from ukc to accept oferings and register who gave what by sending this info to thehopeproject1@hotmail.co.uk then we can say thanks to each person .and as for the uncomfortable word of cash it should be again collected by a trusted ukc member ie yourself or chris and be gave in one secure payment to the beacon of hope eco heritage trust after ukc and all givers are happy as to the intended use of cash ie planning permits etc this can also be used as a news story that western morning news have said that they would like to print becous of you guys , please tel me what you think by tel as computer is only for a hour library ,so hey on a up note can we orginise a ukc barbie at the eco site to say thanks for taking us in as a virtual pet wot do you say a yearly event to celabrate ukc and climbing in general thanks sam x07542187154
In reply to chris wyatt: hey chris you were right its not posible to not accept the kindnes being offerd becous if i do it wil stil be colected any way and then is at risk of being misused so with this in mind could you please consider being a first point of contact for danations so as to ensure that things dont go sidways and we end up confused .ie we should promote ukc at the same time as me with a grand stuf delivery atended by the western morning news (they want to cover it ) and then making the hope projects site atop st agnes beacon hill a hub for ukc to enjoy cornwall please remember its just one small group of racists that im finding are here .any way wi this in mind the full title is the beacon of hope eco heritage trust we are a CIC and are fellows of the SSE school of auntreprenures ok please call to further discus if you want 07542187154 thanks sam x
 Offwidth 11 Feb 2012
In reply to Goucho:

You have a paranoia complex dear boy. I read stuff, I post where I want to make a comment, crack a joke, or whatever. I have no interest in you in particular.

"the small minority of under endowed inbreds, invariably married to their sister, and with an IQ which seldom gets into double figures, even when the whole family joins in, and who's lifetime ambition is to one day own a 15 year old Vauxhall Corsa, and to possibly have sex with someone they're not related too."

Is pretty distasteful and childish and makes things seem like racism is only perpetrated by especially stupid people. It takes away from the fact that these people are usually not so stupid and act on (usually unlawful) ideology in very deliberate ways.
 Tom Last 11 Feb 2012
In reply to Bruce Hooker:
> (In reply to Goucho)
>
> [...]
>
In the 70s there was a pub in St Ives which refused to serve anyone with long hair (men that is) - the sign on the door said something like "no long haired hippies or students will be served"!
>
>

Can't really fault them on that

britain42 13 Feb 2012
The hope project also supports the arts for young people. does anyone know of an arts furum that would like to support the project by lobbying the council?
 Ram 13 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

Shocking

Nats 13 Feb 2012
Truly disgusting what happened to Sam who was just trying to live his dream and helping others. Some of my black friends that tell me when going outside London they feel out of place as people seem distant and I feel the same.

As an outdoor person I travel all over the UK (a lot) and I do find that as soon as I go outside London, specially Northwards or Westwards people do not like/welocme "outsiders".

I feel ok as I am just visiting for a few days at a time but I often think even though I would love to move to some of those places I would always feel out of touch and lonely even with a lot of friends in those places. Sometimes I try the locals and after saying I'm just visiting (which they always seem to welcome) I say I am thinking of moving there in a month or so and their expression/whole attitude changes straight away.

Also oustide London anywhere you go (outdoor/countryside places) people do not accept foreigners. On my outdoor activities no matter what they are everyone is great and welcoming being it climbing, caving, kayaking, etc... but as soon as you get out of that context people look at you like you don't belong and even if your english is perfect they speak down to you, usually with really stupid and invasive questions.

London might be cold as they call it but here everyone is accepted regardless of who/what they are. There's always a few idiots/imbecils everywhere and more so in London as there's relatively more people than anywhere else but at least everytime I come back to London I truly feel home.

I also feel that as soon as I go outside London police in general have the same attitudes as the locals and often are not too much help.

May I also add that from everywhere that I have been in the uk Devon is the place that I think is most unwelcome to strangers/outsiders/visitors.
 Wainers44 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Nats:
> >
> May I also add that from everywhere that I have been in the uk Devon is the place that I think is most unwelcome to strangers/outsiders/visitors.

Its funny how easily impressions of a place differ from person to person. You live in London so feel at home there, OK understand that. Totally different to the unhomely, cold (as you say) impersonal and seemingly miserable (does anyone on the Tube smile....ever?) impression I have of the place.

Really sorry to hear about your "unwelcoming" impression of Devon, my "home". I live near a place which happily increases in size tenfold every year due to visitor numbers, most of whom must feel welcome or they wouldnt come back year after year??

I suppose there must be insular narrow minded people just about everywhere....so I am well lucky as I very very rarely find them in my travels in the UK. Keep smiling!
In reply to Wainers44:
> (In reply to Nats)
> [...]
>
> Its funny how easily impressions of a place differ from person to person. You live in London so feel at home there, OK understand that. Totally different to the unhomely, cold (as you say) impersonal and seemingly miserable (does anyone on the Tube smile....ever?) impression I have of the place.
>

I grew up in North Devon. Friendly people in N. Devon usually either work in the tourist industry, or have moved there from somewhere else. Racism and bigotry is perfectly accepted by the 'native' populous.

I would never move back there.
Charly Wild 14 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:
It is terrible what has happens to beacon hope trust, but to see the support and responses on this site!!
 Wainers44 14 Feb 2012
In reply to Captain Fastrousers: As I said to Nat, funny how people get different impressions of places. I have never found any problem with the people in N Devon....they are all one big happy family.....
 Tom Last 14 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

Hello all.

I met up with Sam and Carla in Truro today.

He was keen that I confirm he's a real person, he is!

I think it's safe to say that Sam's a bit overwhelmed by all the generosity that's been shown on here. He wasn't aware of UKC previously, so the huge influx of support he's received has come as a bolt from the blue, but he seems really chuffed, so well done all. I got the impression from Sam that he's recitent about approaching any relevent organisation/companies for help, after all he's used to standing on his own feet, so that's understandable. He accepts that they could do with the help however, so perhaps if anyone can help in this respect, then that might be worthwhile. (i've not read the whole of this or the other thread, so if anyone's done this already, then apologies and good work!)

Anyway, Sam and Carla are a really lovely couple and they indicated that the reaction here has already bolstered their belief in what they're trying to teach the kids they help, that the World is not always against them and that there are good people in all walks of life.

Whilst Sam has clearly been the victim of some pretty horrendeous acts of abuse, it's important to stress that generally speaking (personally) I don't believe Cornwall and more specifically the Cornish are as bad as they're being painted to be. I've lived in Cornwall and Devon on and off a few times since the late nineties now and I can't open my mouth without it being pretty obvious that I'm from out of town. I may not be a black charity worker, but as a white middle class male, from a fairly well off background, earning a decent wage by doing a job that frankly a monkey could do, I rather fit the picture of an incomer who might expect to be on the receiving end of some hostility from the more insular locals out there. Yet I work on a daily basis with all different sorts of people from one of the most deprived areas of this, one of the poorest counties in the UK and have never been on the receiving end of any hostility whatsoever. Cornwall is a conservative place and people by and large will tell it to you straight, but it's also a generous and friendly place and I and many other incomers would'nt stay here if it were not the case.

Unfortunately, Sam has obviously been a victim of a minority of people hell-bent on making others' lives a misery - and incidently, Sam suggested those responsible were incomers themselves. Not all the Cornish are like that and certainly not the people of St Buryan! (a la Straw Dogs).

Well done all.
In reply to Southern Man:
> Not all the Cornish are like that and certainly not the people of St Buryan! (a la Straw Dogs).
>
> Well done all.

Definitely not all the Cornish are like that! The Cornish are warm wonderful people, my negative outlook posted above of Cornwall was coloured by a tiny minority of those calling themselves "Cornish nationalists", most of who were no Cornish, or were not living in Kernow. Petty nationalism does tend to attract that type!!

Well dome all indeed.
 Lukem6 15 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: This is disgusting, I might not be black but after growing up in the inner cities of England I can see how much this kind of thing is needed, and how it can help communities by giving children a new focus.
I don't see this as a Cornwall problem, I see it as a problem across the board. Not even a black problem(although that is what these Neanderthals have focused on), unfortunately from time to time I've witnessed instructors taking kids to the great outdoors; and the response has been negative by the community. Wither the reasons be due to "hogging" crags or causing a riot(a.k.a making a noise) and so forth. Some little towns dislike newcomers of any creed, particularly the city born, Imagine what they get like with a few lively teenagers god forbid they be wearing baggy jeans or hoodies, etc.

I wish the best to Sam Farmer, and if he needs help cleaning up I'm sure he would find it here.

Ridge 15 Feb 2012
In reply to Nats:

> As an outdoor person I travel all over the UK (a lot) and I do find that as soon as I go outside London, specially Northwards or Westwards people do not like/welocme "outsiders".
> London might be cold as they call it but here everyone is accepted regardless of who/what they are. There's always a few idiots/imbecils everywhere and more so in London as there's relatively more people than anywhere else but at least everytime I come back to London I truly feel home.

That's purely your opinion. IMHO London has to be one of the worst places I've visited in the UK for general unpleasantness and threats of violence.
 krikoman 15 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: Outrageous, I've contacted our club for donations etc.

thanks for letting us know.

Keep you chin up Sam, poeple care and I hope you're back on your feet soon.

Mark
 krikoman 15 Feb 2012
In reply to the hope project: given that people want to help and I suspect sending a load of equipment you have nowhere to store, may be (although I suspect it goes against the grain) You shold tell us what would be really useful, wether it's time, labour, planks of wood, peopl with shovels.
Let's get you back up and running then we can all donate our unused climbing / outdooors equipment later.

Mark
Austen Puleston 15 Feb 2012
@Hope Project...

What an outrage, I'll keep my eye on this thread as I'm definately good for a contribution.

Keep us all posted on anything we can do. Is it worth setting up a blog, web page or similar so that it's easier for people to find ways to help?

I can set this up pretty sharpish if you like.

Austen
In reply to Austen Puleston: yes austin it would be good to set up a page so i can tel you what happened and give a place to focus atention to if you can do it thet would be fab thanks bro x
In reply to krikoman: yo krik i do have storage lots of it i doo need to rebuild so i need bricks cement and stuf also what i need is a list of people on a petition to be used for the police and council at a later date as they are now trying to make mee not rebuild as the land is now considerd open countryside ie need to go back to planners and pay them and wait .if somone coult take some donations and set up a colection page that would take the sting out of the coming wars x
In reply to Southern Man: thanks tom you led the brigade speak soon ps barbie next week mabe x
 Lukem6 15 Feb 2012
In reply to the hope project: I've just finished contacting Cornwall police and council expressing my disgust in this situation and pleading for their support, if any one else has the spare time to join us please do.
In reply to lm610: thanks im610 unfortunatly the police have just called to say becouse the persons who we know did it (we told them too many times as they told us they will do it over three years )have refused to take responsibility the case is closed .ps please remember we all are the flower of our ancestors efforts thanks for the love uk climbing comunity x
 Lukem6 15 Feb 2012
In reply to the hope project: It sounds like we need to raise this issue further... If everyone and anyone also would like to contact your local papers, more media coverage normally results in more action.
 MG 15 Feb 2012
> (In reply to lm610) thanks im610 unfortunatly the police have just called to say becouse the persons who we know did it (we told them too many times as they told us they will do it over three years )have refused to take responsibility the case is closed

I am reading this right? The police say that because the alleged culprits don't admit they did it, the case is closed!
 Simmy 15 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

Just finishing building the Hope project a website this evening, speaking to Sam a great deal of thinks were burned including most of his pictures.

If anyone has any pictures of Sam, the project, The Agnes Beacon area or any images that are yours to give would be most helpful.

Links to any articles, news, stories, forums with any coverage would also be great.

If you can email me through this site anything that would be fantastic.

Peter

This is a duplicate post as ive put the same up in the other thread on this subject in the off belay forum. Sorry mods

Ridge 15 Feb 2012
In reply to MG:
> (In reply to the hope project)
> [...]
>
> I am reading this right? The police say that because the alleged culprits don't admit they did it, the case is closed!

CSI Cornwall wouldn't make impressive viewing, would it? Wonder what the IPPC would make of this.
 Lukem6 16 Feb 2012
In reply to the hope project: not sure it will help, but I've just spammed each main news channel and paper, after no reply from the Cornish council.

And I don't know if anyone else wants to but here is the local elected councillor

http://democracy.cornwall.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=1867&RPID=935237
In reply to Ridge: the ippc are the police the head of the board are high level police the council need to step up and tel us hoe to rebuild and how to protect thanks for thinkin of it bro
In reply to krikoman: thanks krik so far its best done with posat orders to samuel farmer co 28 brunel court truro tr13ae thanks more than i can say on behalf of our kids
In reply to EricaB: daniel and alister from london i get your package thenks thanks thanks it was wel recived sothern man thanks for the present sam
In reply to EricaB: steve taylor thanks they will be well needed thanks prob best do a postal order to my name or beter come and have coffe sam xps consider your summer camp paid for x
 Eagle River 16 Feb 2012

Hi Sam, it was me who text you about the rope & boots. You're a bit far away for coffee but I'll pop those things in the post for you and whatever else I can find that may be of use.

Steve.
In reply to Eagle River: hey sisters and brothers i got a wierd call last night a guy caling me a anarchist activist with no mesage please let me state my message clearly

exclusive places and recreations by their description exclude people we at the hope project demand inclusion and diversity and the protection of the institutions from the agresion and marginalisation of the institutions.
we insist on buisnises adherrence to the tripple bottom line enviroment comunity and then profit so that the wealth of the world can be spread more responsibly .thanks for making me realise this sam x
 thin bob 17 Feb 2012
Hey Sam!
just to say keep on keeping on, we're behind you, brother!
see ya soon, mate! Hope the weekend is good for you all
 rallymania 17 Feb 2012

Anyone from Edinburgh / Central Scotland want to contribute gear / money?

I'm happy to act as a distribution point.

Please make sure you cc thehopeproject1@hotmail.co.uk in any emails you send me. and my email address is my ukcusername@hotmail.com

Sam... have emailed you to confirm you are happy with above and also about something else!

In reply to Paul Evans: hello paul hey fab thanks graham turned up and went on tv itv westcountry news as well i said a big thanks to you guys he brought .
four pair of climbers boots a rope a fab tent ten crabs new 1 torch two fleeces 1 pair aproach trainers 1 harnes two day bags two fleeces black and blue, four chalk bags ,two cam flage sleepin bags and 2 waterproof trousers and a rope bag .thanks every one for the random act of kindnes please be asured the hope project is your camping spot for summer as our gesture of thanks sam x
In reply to rallymania: my brother thank who ever sent me a fab pair of sky blue rock boots and a yellow helmet and harnes .and thanks for your help sam x
 Kafoozalem 22 Feb 2012

You are welcome - I sent the boots.
 David Hooper 22 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:
http://www.itv.com/westcountry-west/
New TV article about the case here

chris wyatt 22 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: Sorry I have been off site for a few days on this but hopefully we will get something up an running pretty soon to help sam financially
 Paul Evans 22 Feb 2012
Sam you are very welcome, some of this stuff was from me, other items were donated by Graham and others who I do not know. If I get down your way over summer I will certainly drop in!

Graham - many thanks for being the delivery driver, and glad you got some quality cornish climbing done!

Paul
 Lukem6 23 Feb 2012
In reply to the hope project: finally got a response from The cornwall council, thay simply state that,"We have established that Cornwall Council does not financially support the Hope Project or have any direct connection with it." then spend ages talking about what they have done to support equal rights, but say nothing more about what they can or are willing to do.

They simply state they are not willing to associate with The topic at hand.... Not very useful.
In reply to lm610: hey suprised they actualy answerd you not willing to asociate is strange .on a good note as i promised to redgister all that you guys contribute thanks to steve taylor for the six pair of boots a rope and harnes and some tackle .and if you dont mind me saying a very generous cheque of forty quid you realy did a random act of kindnes just the postage would have killed our budjet .steve as you said to us there should be more peolpe in the worjd like you thanks se you in the summer .also on a good note the artist roger dean yes he from the YES album covers has pledged help posably in the form of subterainean buildings .and definatly in the form of masterclasses at the hope project .thanks everyone ps i think the website goes up today i will keep you informed samx
 chris wyatt 24 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

OK everyone you can now make a financial contribution if you would like to!

Here's the URL :

http://www.thebeaconofhope.co.uk/

Sam's initial target is to raise £2000 to get plans and planning permission done for a new facility. Lets go for it!
 pebbles 24 Feb 2012
In reply to chris wyatt: thanks for posting, have done.
In reply to chris wyatt: There will be £20 from me when I get paid on Tuesday I'll post this to facebook too
In reply to EricaB: I've also blogged on the issue with a link to the site
http://www.chrissurfleet.co.uk/post/2012/02/24/The-Hope-Project-A-Charity-P...
 hoodmonkey 24 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:

Can a new thread be started to highlight the website to everyone?

Or maybe this has already been done?
 chris wyatt 24 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: Yes - there is a premier post - thanks to Alan at UKC
 deepsoup 24 Feb 2012
In reply to chris wyatt:
Just chipped in a few quid. Thanks for the link. :O)
In reply to EricaB:

I'm good for twenty quid.
In reply to lm610: please see linkedinn on my page you will see that i have recomended the chief of cornwall council kevin lavery its on his page also i did this two years ago becous i belived in policys he stated in the news ,although as i stated the problem is the interpretration of his policy by his lower staff at grassroots level .how can they say they dont know me but alow me to recomend the chief for two years .
In reply to EricaB: please alow me to try to pay in kind for now with my poem
you are good when you have good things to give
but you are not bad if you have your own life to live
so if you see the rush of good river from people who give
dont worry
becouse from your tears a sead i can sow
and from that sead rises a mountain forest with snow
and from that snow a glacier drips through
spring to lea
river to sea
now you see the raging good torrent is becouse of you KC x sam fanks x
In reply to chris wyatt: hey stupid question from a ukc novice what is a premier post dont laugh SAM X
In reply to hoodmonkey: i feel like you guys have adopted me i got a lot of responsability to you guys now hold me to it please x
 Eagle River 25 Feb 2012
In reply to The Hope Project:

Hi Sam,

A premier post is one used largely by commercial enterprises to advertise something or sell something. They appear in bold at the top of the forums page and change each time you re-load the page (or something like that). To see all of them click on the premier posts link on the left in orange.

or click here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/i.php?f=16
 thin bob 26 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB:
Nice poem, Sam.
In reply to EricaB: guys you have gone beyond the call of duty im soon going to see paul batman from influence planning to start planning permission becouse of you please rest asured the names of the doners will apear on the website and you will be able to delete them if you want we are just having a tech glitch there will also be more content for you to enjoy thanks sam xxxx
cipciripcip 27 Feb 2012
In reply to chris wyatt:
thanks for posting!

I hope this thread & the help for The Project won't just vanish from the UKC.
 Stone Muppet 28 Feb 2012
I don't know whether the UKC editors would take a front page article on all this but maybe it's worth asking? That would gain more publicity.
 David Hooper 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Stone Muppet: I've suggested that to Alan already. So he is aware of the idea, but not acted upon it so far. Mails from other forum users may encourage him to publish.
In reply to David Hooper: hey dave i got one hour a day on the computer is there any one out there that will take up allans kind offer of premier situ and comercial situ on my behalf im typing faster than a sprinting spider sam x
In reply to EricaB: hey did you see the facists last night on the box they are onm bopth sides it just shows you we are trying to fix it in a good way thanks erica b you started it we o u 1 x
 Boogs 28 Feb 2012

Hey Sam , David , Alan I'll gladly pay the fee for a premier post for the donations page/site if it helps ?

Leon
 Eagle River 28 Feb 2012
In reply to boogie man:

Premier post already exists:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=495909

What people are asking for is an article on the subject, displayed on the home page.
 Simon Caldwell 28 Feb 2012
Can you clarify, once it's all been rebuilt, will you be taking out insurance again?
 David Hooper 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Eagle River: Exactly - Alan knows all about this and about the incredibly positive response shown by the UKC community, but as yet it has not been highlighted as a news article.

I cannot understand why, its a win win situation for The Hope Project and for UKC.
 David Hooper 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Toreador:

Good point - if the project is being rebuilt on public donations, it needs to be safeguarded and stewarded properly.
 chris wyatt 28 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: Just for Info. the premier post is in place and payed for .

In terms of transparency and stewardship I think we should not worry about it too much at the moment. Sam needs to get going on the planning which does not cost much. After that there will be considerable thousands of pounds to raise and personally I would want to see a clear plan, relevant insurances, licenses, preferably a bona fide charity etc etc. But all these things do not come overnight and I think Sam should be given the necessary support for now as things are.

(There is always a reason not to do some good but don't let it stop you)
 Rampikino 28 Feb 2012
In reply to lm610:
> (In reply to the hope project) finally got a response from The cornwall council, thay simply state that,"We have established that Cornwall Council does not financially support the Hope Project or have any direct connection with it." then spend ages talking about what they have done to support equal rights, but say nothing more about what they can or are willing to do.
>
> They simply state they are not willing to associate with The topic at hand.... Not very useful.

I had a reply also. Here is the full transcript:

Dear Mr...

Beacon of Hope Heritage Trust

Thank you for your letter of 9th February. We have now had the opportunity to look into this matter. We have established that Cornwall Council does not financially support the Hope Project or have any direct connection with it. However, regardless of this, CornwallCouncil would not and does not support racism in any form whatsoever. As with other public sector partners, Cornwall Council has a proactive duty (under the Equality Act) to: eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation, advance equality of opportunity and foster good relations between people.

We are working with partners, including the public sectore and in particular race equality voluntary sector organisations in Cornwall to address hate crime under the Safer Cornwall Partnership (please see link provided). This work is looking at:

- improving the under-reporting for race, homophobic and disability hate crimes and incidents
- making better use of the data public and voluntary sector agencies haev to establish a more complete picture around hate crime
- exploring 3rd party reporting mechanisms.
This work involves Cornwall Race Equality Council.

You may also wish to look at the Equalities pages (other links provided).

Yours sincerely

Julie Seyler
Culture Programme Manager

What I find interesting is that Julie has admitted that they have a "proactive duty" but in the same paragraph seems do a bit of sloping shoulders and nowhere in the letter states what they intend to do, but instead talks about their general anti-racism programmes.

Hmm.

Boogs 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Rampikino:

Excellent stuff on your part though Rampkino , big pat on the back for that Sir .
 Wonrek 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Rampikino: What I find interesting is that Julie has admitted that they have a "proactive duty" but in the same paragraph seems do a bit of sloping shoulders and nowhere in the letter states what they intend to do, but instead talks about their general anti-racism programmes.

Sorry if this has been quoted before but What did you ask the council to do?

Cx
 gavinj 28 Feb 2012
What do you reckon to this?

Its copied from:

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/defence-police-arson-allegation/story-14447...

"Someone has to support Devon and Cornwall Police Service over the allegation (WMN Jan 12) that it failed to protect a mixed race individual, Sam Farmer, from racist abuse and the destruction by arson of a group of uninhabited temporary structures he owned on open land at St Agnes Beacon. Mr Farmer described the buildings as a centre for disadvantaged youth from inner cities.

One has to ask why the rural community of St Agnes, which is almost as far as you can go from the nearest substantial ethnic minority population, was considered a suitable location for this type of project, and why wasn't it being led by qualified Cornish youth workers who were properly funded, with the support and encouragement of the local community?"

Is it me, or is kind of, well, racist????
 gavinj 28 Feb 2012
Actually, this is really pretty appalling!!! The 'support' over the allegations appears to be that Sam should not have set up in St Agnes in the first place, and kind of brought it on himself by not choosing somewhere near/in an ethnically diverse community!! The last bit about Cornish youth workers is quite weird as well! It certainly feels quite close to a justification for the arson.
 toad 28 Feb 2012
In reply to gavinj: no, it isn't you. Is that editorial?
 _MJC_ 28 Feb 2012
In reply to gavinj: And why does it have to be 'led' by people they think it should be led by? Ridiculous.
 toad 28 Feb 2012
In reply to gavinj:

Press complaints commission editors code of conduct:

Discrimination:

i) The press must avoid prejudicial or pejorative reference to an individual's race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation or to any physical or mental illness or disability.

ii) Details of an individual's race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, physical or mental illness or disability must be avoided unless genuinely relevant to the story.

I think they are sailing quite close to the wind. Might be worth a punt with a complaint, thought there is some wriggle room.

In reply to boogie man: wow boogie man leon that would be fantastic if thats ok with you please consider your summer holls paid for at the hope project as a small thanks sam ps pleas contact allan or dave x see y soon
In reply to Toreador: yes the planners are insisting on a permanent guard wich will make insurance easily payable
In reply to David Hooper: i totaly agrea
In reply to chris wyatt: yes transparency responsibility and adherence to a triple bottom line is a must lets do that x sam
In reply to Rampikino: these are more empty meaningles words we the 99 percent are not having it any more cornwall council say somthing real this is not liberia xsam
In reply to Clears: help us put it back and alow us to protect it when it is back samx
In reply to gavinj: we thought the police wrote this xie why say in suport of the police and who wrtoe it ?
 Lukem6 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Rampikino: must be a cut and paste I have received the same letter

Dear...

We have now had the opportunity to look into this matter further. We have established that Cornwall Council does not financially support the Hope Project or have any direct connection with it. However, regardless of this, Cornwall Council would not and does not support racism in any form whatsoever. As with other public sector partners, Cornwall Council has a proactive duty (under the Equality Act) to: eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation, advance equality of opportunity and foster good relations between people.

We are working with partners, including the public sector and in particular race equality voluntary sector organisations in Cornwall to address hate crime under the Safer Cornwall Partnership (please see http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=27766 for additional information ). This work is looking at:

· improving the under-reporting for race, homophobic and disability hate crimes and incidents

· making better use of the data public and voluntary sector agencies have to establish a more complete picture around hate crime

· exploring 3rd party reporting mechanisms.

This work involves Cornwall Race Equality Council.

You may also wish to look at the Equalities pages (www.cornwall.gov.uk/equality) and the Community Safety pages http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=1337 of Cornwall Council’s website for further information and contacts.

Yours sincerely

Vicky Reece-Romain

Support Officer, Culture Team

Economic Development

Chief Executive's Department

Cornwall Council
Tel (internal): 502716

Tel (external): 01872 224716

vromain@cornwall.gov.uk

Room B1.04, Carrick House, Pydar Street, Truro, Cornwall TR1 1EB

www.cornwall.gov.uk

Please let us know if you need any particular assistance from us, such as facilities to help with mobility, vision or hearing, or information in a different format.
In reply to _MJC_: i cant be someone els ps most orgs here are headed by ex police or council quangoes x
In reply to lm610: ive got a headach what did this empty pice of literature say
In reply to chris wyatt: we are a CIC non profit org we will register with the cic regulator as soon as we habve the smal funds to do it we will only take a wage and all stock will be owned by the CIC registra to be donated to another CIC when and if we fold but we retain the ownership of the land as its not part of the CIC obviuosly .in short dave hooper make the nesasery arangments to be registerd and we will gladly do it asap thanks sam x
 Lukem6 29 Feb 2012
In reply to The Hope Project: As I read it, it seems they wash the hands of any affiliation and then go on to pointlessly direct us to their equality programs. It's a standard cut and past response almost Identical to the one further up.
 Davy Virdee 29 Feb 2012
In reply to gavinj:

That article makes the Mail and the Express editorials read like beacons of tolerance and progressive thinking.

Everying about it is bad - what difference does it make if Sam's client group are from an ethnic minority - are they not allowed to visit other parts of the UK. The artile is saying "if you're not like us, you're not welcome". It then goes on to insinutae that one so Sam's students set fire to the place!

A disgrace. I am actaully shocked.
 pocketrocket 29 Feb 2012
Hi Sam & Carla, I am so sorry to hear about this awful attack on you and your dream, i have no old kit to donate but i have just donated £20, i hope that in some small way it helps to keep your dreams alive.
It is so nice to see that you now have a great new family in all who use UKC.
If there is anything i can ever do for you please let me know

Anthony
 David Hooper 29 Feb 2012
In reply to EricaB: Money donations nearly reached £1000 and its only been up a few days - brilliant response.
In reply to pocketrocket: there is one thing you can do please come and let me shake your hand sam x
In reply to David Hooper: spoke to paul bateman today he said fab we can do this this is not scaring him at all i will send him whats there today if thats ok with you guys so he knows we are serious thanks sam x ps online permanent in two weeeks due to steve taylor send him love please x
 deepsoup 29 Feb 2012
In reply to gavinj:
> Is it me, or is kind of, well, racist????

Holy shit. They're not even trying to be subtle about it are they?
In reply to deepsoup: welcome to the machine x sam
In reply to EricaB: people you have reached a grand flip what happend you dont know what this meens words dony cut it flip im getin hot (not horny)hey you all need to feel the glow you will be on the website just waiting for peter to get the spar time to do it some of you gave too mutch and others gave all i was so touched by one kind soul who sent a fiver i know that was all your budget thank you so mutch words dont cut it negativity waqs given a bloody noes by posativity (is thatb how you spel noes )any way scot tv hombre fanks loads allen head honcho feel the glow o will thank you all individualy but gota go computer is timing oot peasc sam x (is that how you spell peace )
 thin bob 01 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB:
Bump ! Last call for donations. Going down early saturday, will reply tonight.
Peace & love,S people
In reply to EricaB: hey guys becouse ive not got acces to my own computer yet (will in two wks )i cannot look at the pay pal account becouse we do not want the librarian going to ibiza on the funds so peter the web man who i totaly trust and know all about him has kindly become the for now treasurer until i A get a proper acount and B get a secure computer but we are giving whats there so far to the planners today .so the question is i wanted to put the kind donors on the web page so you know that it got there but the treasurer thinks this is not the right thing to do for your own security so what should i do please instruct me mabe all givers should email thehopeproject1@hotmail.co.uk so i can say thanks and see how you personaly feel get back to me please thanks sam x
 thin bob 01 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB:
Don't want to put a downer on this wonderful thread.but i saw this thread on the 'walkers' website, OUtdoor smagic.
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/UTN/51625/URN/6/dt/4/s...

The redsocks seem more interested in deciding what is racist or not than doing anything... .
Of course, people may have been posting on here or doing something and not posting about it. It just made me sad comparing the response here from there.
 upordown 01 Mar 2012
In reply to thin bob:

Reminds me of this: youtube.com/watch?v=55fqjw2J1vI&

UKC is represented by Judith here
 Boogs 01 Mar 2012
In reply to thin bob:

Thin Bob , I recently heard from Mr P Lashmar ( investigative journalist ) who has pulled a few strings & cranked up the pressure in a few relevant places . He has been most helpful . I've also had a couple of threatening emails but thats another story , but its all in hand.

Don't forget send me a text & I'll get the rope , sleeping bags , harness's over to you at the weekend or in the week , whch ever suits you best ?

Go steady , Leon ;0)
 thin bob 01 Mar 2012
In reply to boogie man:
good work, guv! I'd get Mazeer Mahmoud, except he's a bit busy with 'enquiries' . Threatening emails? that stinks, mate... What are we suggesting, drowning kittens?!?! FFS....
So yeah, am about in your borough over the weekend, will txt, deffo a beer, maybe a climb sunday / monday
Revs high, course true, bruv. Drop it a cog & give it a handfull
 thin bob 01 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB:
To everyone:
youtube.com/watch?v=vdB-8eLEW8g&

peace, peoples xx
 Boogs 01 Mar 2012
In reply to thin bob:

I should be about sunday but can definitely jet over monday to get some climbing done at Portland .

The threats are just warnings apparently Bob , obviously they are a little rattled which I think is good , after some digging I've sussed out where & who they are from , just a couple of mugs blowing some hot air I reckon , nothing to worry me matey .... ;0)

Catch you soon Thin Bob & don't forget to pack your climbing shoes !

leon
 Simmy 01 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB:

Good to see donations have reached quite an amazing amount. I will continue to toy with the site in my spare time, working kids etc stuff gets in the way.

Ive recruited the help of a media student who is willing to write the Project articles and updates for the blog and assist with social media etc.

Its juts a simple skin at the moment but with some time I will develop it to a custom platform. As promised Sam music download next. After i get a climb in on Saturday

Does anyone using Chrome have any issues viewing the site? Sorry for the nerd question.

Flinticus 01 Mar 2012
In reply to gavinj:
That's mental and 'why wasn't it being led....'? Well, go on, no-one's stopping the qualified Cornish youth workers from starting their own charity to help disadvantaged youth. hat are they waiting for?
 thin bob 02 Mar 2012
In reply to Simmy: Good work!
In reply to Simmy: Simmy, if you need any help with the site let me know (I'm a .net dev by trade but can happily tinker with front end stuff or sort out blog posts)
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr: guys 39 people done this exellant work startin raising planners cash one of you in austrailia a person caled ant said i can just put your user names on the thread to show i got it i will do that if thats ok plus all who gave are totaly expected at the ukc barbie (as a mass guests of hounur )and have use of the hope projects land and resourses at any time they wish at all ( think family glamping )hey early june is good the queen insists we party but i leave that to you the thought cloud i will put names up speling mistakes will apen i got a hour peace sisters brothers .ps yes i got lots of haking and bad messages but it just means that we are winning xsam
 Boogs 02 Mar 2012

Sounds good Sam , I've got a decent sound system ( about 12 K RMS ) and a list of Djs , MC's singers that we could set up for a bbq in the summer maybe ?

I've also got a load of unreleased hiphop,dub & reggae tracks that still need to be heard , I'll happily donate some as down loads for the hope project with any monies going to the project . I will see if I can sort something out with Simmy , Chris W and the others involved .

One love Sam , keep on keeping on bro .

Leon
 Simon Caldwell 02 Mar 2012
In reply to thin bob:
> The redsocks seem more interested in deciding what is racist or not than doing anything.

Yes, worthy of a typical UKC thread.

This one is a noble exception
In reply to thin bob:
> Last call for donations. Going down early saturday

Why?
In reply to boogie man: thanks for the boots brother they will help loads like the sound of music think about june 5 we got a thirty foot bonfire then gota go no tim x
 thin bob 02 Mar 2012
Wooo! party!
Peace, brother, seeya soon
 thin bob 02 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB:
Nice work, webby & music dudes . Rock it!
 thin bob 02 Mar 2012
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to thin bob)
> [...]
>
> Why?

Eh? don't understand what you're asking.
It's only the 'last call' for my roadtrip. Apologies for confusion
In reply to thin bob:
sorry thought you were saying it was the last chance to contribute
In reply to EricaB: love to rob loc pete ant vird nial toby dave d ciaran katie chris h martin g grant b phil w chris s gill fran mark david l jo tristran andy jonp rob phil nicw alan t sean o crispin james pete sue alison bill peri chrie w graham jon h allister hey your land awaits you are now the owners of a chill family camp spot aotp st agnes beacon hill there is nore love comin from the stuff givers mutch love to all of you espsialy the ones who wanted to help but couldent yet yourt camp awaits bring the kids love to you i have been you so many times x sam ps emails keep bouncin back ? never mind see you at the campfire
britain42 05 Mar 2012
In reply to The Hope Project: The response that I have seen on this page has totally restored my belief in this country of ours and the good people who are refusing to allow a bad minority of people spoil what is essentially a good thing. Well done UKC and anybody else who has stood up against bigotry and its vile acts. Well done Sammy for being steadfast in the face of violence. For evils to succeed it takes no ore than for good people to do nothing. (No chance of that here)
 collywob 05 Mar 2012
In reply to gavinj:
> What do you reckon to this?
>
> Its copied from:
>
> http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/defence-police-arson-allegation/story-14447...
>
> "Someone has to support Devon and Cornwall Police Service over the allegation (WMN Jan 12) that it failed to protect a mixed race individual, Sam Farmer, from racist abuse and the destruction by arson of a group of uninhabited temporary structures he owned on open land at St Agnes Beacon. Mr Farmer described the buildings as a centre for disadvantaged youth from inner cities.
>
> One has to ask why the rural community of St Agnes, which is almost as far as you can go from the nearest substantial ethnic minority population, was considered a suitable location for this type of project, and why wasn't it being led by qualified Cornish youth workers who were properly funded, with the support and encouragement of the local community?"
>
> Is it me, or is kind of, well, racist????

grrrrrrr.... horribly racist.
Removed User 06 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB: It's the normal establishment routine, close ranks and pretend everything is rosy in the garden until the truth emerges.
 bz 06 Mar 2012
The owners of "thisiscornwall" who published this nasty racist article can be contacted here:

enquiries@northcliffemedia.co.uk

Just so the readers of thisiscornwall (a free local rag) know their publishers are not local and come from a city with a substantial ethnic minority population.

I'd encourage you to let them know what you think about this article and its author who is anonymous but a "trusted source"
Thisiscornwall is not a "free rag', (though I happily admit it's a rag,) it's an umbrella website for several paid for newspapers such as The Cornish Guardian, The Cornishman, and others.

Please do express your diastase for it though!
 thin bob 07 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB:

over to Sam on my log-in....... hey guys fantastic night with bob who is now fat bob becouse he ate all the curry hey thanks not gnarly, nikinto, leon, the stuf is well needed and apriciated hey there was a fab mix of kit you guys are the new owners of the most beutiful land in cornwall bob agreas nice one get ready for the sun sisters and brothers .we went for a night walk on the clifs in the storm luging a case of beer and soggy skins it was realy fantastic . we are of now across the cliffs to trevounance cove to show him how massive the cliffs are when you go to the bottom then a quaint pint in a pub out of a warewolf film .speak soon sisters and brothers
 drobson 07 Mar 2012
In reply to gavinj:
I've just posted this on the "This is Cornwall" website:

"One has to ask why the rural community of St Agnes, which is almost as far as you can go from the nearest substantial ethnic minority population, was considered a suitable location for this type of project, and why wasn't it being led by qualified Cornish youth workers who were properly funded, with the support and encouragement of the local community?"

Have I really just read this? Is there some kind of embargo in place in Cornwall that restricts the people who set up facilities, and the people who use those facilities, to being locals? What is the point that you are trying to make when you say that St Agnes is a long way from the nearest substantial ethnic minority population'? It's a pretty long way from the nearest substantial Scottish, or Welsh, or Gay, or Royal family, or Banking, or Army population - I don't hear your howls of protest when their money pours into the local economy. Aren't we all British? Don't kids from inner cities, or more local estates, deserve a break?

And fires - especially when they strike in the same place more than once - can also be caused by racists ... and those that fan the flames.

A climber
Yorkshire
 Stone Muppet 07 Mar 2012
In reply to drobson: "Aren't we all British?"

Yes but there is a faction within Cornwall that doesn't want to be English - I hope that suggestion doesn't fan the flames even more.

Would it be more persuasive to point out that it's a free country and nobody was stopping anyone local from setting up a centre for disadvantaged kids..?
 Messners Yeti 07 Mar 2012
In reply to any who are out there:

I'm heading to Sennen in a couple of weeks from Bristol and am going to drop by Sam and Carla's on the way to drop any gear I can collect from those in Bristol. My car is little and won't fit bouldering mats etc in but any gear you have that'll fit I'll take down with me.

I've been in touch with Sam and am not a scammer!

PM me with anything you might be able to spare.

Thanks
Pete
 Wesley Orvis 07 Mar 2012
In reply to bz:
> The owners of "thisiscornwall" who published this nasty racist article can be contacted here:
>
> enquiries@northcliffemedia.co.uk
>
> I'd encourage you to let them know what you think about this article and its author who is anonymous but a "trusted source"

Sent email expressing my disgust and also sent them a message on the this is Cornwall facebook page for all the cornish to read.

In reply to ruckman: "I'm always amazed when I see the large numbers of officers patrolling the area just north of Regents Park: until I remember that this is one of the most expensive areas in London"

That's because they are guarding Winfield House which is the residence of the US ambassador to the UK. It is in the north part of Regents Park. Nothing to do with wealthy residents nearby. No conspiracy here ruckman
 JH74 07 Mar 2012
In reply to drobson:

Here's my one.

This article is shocking and shouldn't be credited as journalism in any way.

The author is effectively stating that The Hope Project should not have started in St. Agnes as there are very few people from ethnic minorities living there.

Is the author suggesting that if children from inner cities and ethnic minorities visit St. Agnes to take part in The Hope Project, on a weeks course for example, then there will inevitably be some resentment to this from the local populus due to the colour of the childrens skin? Is the author suggesting the local populus are racist or just uncomfortable with people/children who have a different skin colour which is also racist?

Someone must defend the people of St. Agnes from 'this' article I think.

Writing that Mr Farmer's plans for The Hope Project could easily have failed even if the fire had not taken place is of very little journalistic worth and in no way relevant to either this article or the arson attack. If the author has actual evidence that funding was looking unlikely for Mr Farmer or that his plans were doomed to fail then the author should have made them clear and printed them. Anything else is just speculation and doesn't belong here.

The police and fire brigade have also confirmed that the attack was most certainly arson and thus the last paragraph of this article is no longer relevant.

Another climber, Cornwall.”

Ab. So. Lute. Ly AMAZING!
too long to go into, but the land is historic & beautiful & significant, and so is the project. Curry & beer excellent. Sam & Carla, total groovers .

gonna post pics tomorrow & do a proper write-up
let's get the remaining £800 in & they can't stop us.
Peace & love, brothers & sisters, we *are* a family. Much love.
 nikinko 07 Mar 2012
In reply to thin bob:

you liked it there then?
 David Hooper 07 Mar 2012
In reply to thin bob: Hi Bob

Why not contact Alan and write it up as a proper front page news article rather than a post in a thread
 Short&Savage 07 Mar 2012

Great idea
Hey. I have just read the entire thread. I am studying outdoor education at Truro College and I only heard about this 2 wweks ago.
The response on this thread has restored my faith in humanity especially with what is going on in the world at the moment!
I have nothing to give, but as I live about 15 mins down the road I would like to offer my services to any work that needs doing, rebuilding, painting... anything hands on really.. I wish you all the best man, its a fantastic project and it will continue to be awesome in spite of the haters.

AJ
hants 07 Mar 2012
Very sad story. Well... being a white Eastern European I must admit - I have never had any problems on countryside, outdoors, while kayaking or climbing and I am surprised with British positive approach to the foreigners in genera;. Only educational units (local college) "showed me my place". Strange - I always tought that teachers are open minded... Samuel's case needs a deeper investigation - it is rare to meet so much agression from people.
 bz 07 Mar 2012
If anyone hears back from enquiries@northcliffemedia.co.uk I'd be interested in what they have to say because it would be nice if they turned out not to be complete arseholes and undid some of the offense the "This is Cornwall" website has caused.
In reply to Stone Muppet:
> (In reply to drobson) "Aren't we all British?"
>
> Yes but there is a faction within Cornwall that doesn't want to be English - I hope that suggestion doesn't fan the flames even more.
>

There is a small, but vociferous and vicious minority, (see "revived Stannary parliament', "an Gof" and the "Kernow Celtic league"), who are anti-English, clueless and a disgrace to Cornwall. They alienate most of the sensible Cornish and kill off any hope of Cornwall getting recognition as a Celtic nation by being extremist, anti-English, anti everything in fact, and having myths and legends as their base for independence.

“and why wasn't it being led by qualified Cornish youth workers who were properly funded, with the support and encouragement of the local community”,

is pretty typical of the rhetoric of that sort of mindset.

I crossed swords with that crowd in the past, these days I just leave them wallow in their own bile and hate, they are nothing more than a Cornish BNP.
fijibaby 08 Mar 2012
In reply to bz: I've emailed This is Cornwall too. I suggested it might be a better story to cover the amazing support coming from members of this forum.
 thin bob 09 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB:

Another quick one...great idea David, I'll speak to Alan. And yes, Nikinko, I rather did enjoy it, even the getting a facefull of proper cornish weather...your rope stunned everyone that saw it .

The important thing now is to show that people are behind the Hope Project and are watching. PLease do continue to write to the newspapers and the council, particularly in a year when they're supposed to be promoting culture.

There are good people there amongst the bad; we need to let them know they have our support. It appears that there could be jealousy amongst the fear and hate.

We talked about logistics / basic business and Sam has his head screwed on, it's a proper ethical* business and there is a lot of potential. It's not just 'urban or ethnic' kids.
[*the 'triple bottom line' for a business: environment, social responsibility/benefit and only then, profit].

Peace, love and strength in adversity, bro's & sis's xx
 Simmy 09 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB:

Transferred money from the donations to the planners today. Which will give Sam the permission needed to develop the project.

Very good to have a collective force, with the knowledge and skills this forum has as a collective it has the potential to help grow this project into something quite special.
In reply to The Hope Project: Sam,

Kindest wishes to you and your family. Best I could do was donate to the fund. Keep up the good work and stay strong.

GPBCG
 JH74 09 Mar 2012
In reply to fijibaby:

I agree, good idea.
What Goes Up 09 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB: Just thought I'd lob this one in here if anyone's interested or motivated to submit a nomination.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/observer-ethical-awards-2012

FWIW I've given the Hope Project a big shout, but I've also nominated you guys for the UKC response - wonderful example of a community (and a virtual community is still a community) coming together to do something great.
 thin bob 11 Mar 2012
In reply to What Goes Up:
Nice one, WGU! bump it up!
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: wow love your name you are now the proud owner of land at the hope project please come and enjoy it and spread the word those that invest love and help are members of the hope project and are able to utilise all that it is anytime come stay thanks sam x
In reply to ripoffthemonkey: ok give me a call bro lets work an drink together soon sam x
In reply to fijibaby:
> (In reply to bz) I've emailed This is Cornwall too. I suggested it might be a better story to cover the amazing support coming from members of this forum.
i agrea it would make a danny boyl film you lot suportin us lot good stuf x
In reply to What Goes Up: Brill! I've also nominated
 thin bob 13 Mar 2012
In reply to bobble:
great limk, Bobble....but BAD trousers, Sam! Lilac, dude!?!?!
 David Hooper 13 Mar 2012
In reply to thin bob: it was Llanberis in the 80's.Lilac trousers were pretty restrained.
 lithos 13 Mar 2012
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

likewise donated.

- i have some old rock shoes if they are any use ?
In reply to lithos:
> (In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat)
>
> likewise donated.
>
> - i have some old rock shoes if they are any use ? very mutch so brother you cant have to many rock shoes with lively kids abound hey you guys lialac pants are my way of saying everybody be diffrent, brave and diverse this is not brazil , (the film ) peace sisters and brothers ps who is danny boyle ?

fijibaby 14 Mar 2012
I can bundle up a load of old rock shoes for you. Got one pair of childs size, the others are adult sizes.
Post on here when you need help with work on site. I know I'm not the only person who'd like to help with the build of the project. I'm cash poor, but time rich and I'd like to do something useful!
By the way, this is Danny Boyle: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000965/ Moderately successful director....
In reply to fijibaby: mabe you could directly tell him wots hapenin with ukc and see if its true that he is interested for us if you have time bro x
In reply to EricaB: amazing news im connected to the hinternet phew that librarian was givin me funny looks or was it the tramp sitin next to me sniffin me wow that was wierd note to the wise dont lose your connection there is a fourth class out there in librarys all over town mad people gatherd round one overread news paper and hovering over murkey keyboards i thought i had to go back to letters at one point wow im gona be up til tomorrow so speak to me thought cloud i got too mutch to say and no brains to say it sam x ps steve yo
In reply to EricaB: ERICA AS THE FISH SAID WHEN IT LOOKED OUT AT THE MOUNTAIN you rock !! thanks im of to look for a poem that expreses my thanks to you all you have reached the target in two weeks .today posativity give negativity a bloody nose (and negativity smiled and said that was my bloody nose thanks ) x sam
 JJ Spooner 17 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB:

Facebook page i've created to raise awareness: https://www.facebook.com/beaconofhopefoundation

Please add everyone you can .
In reply to Jonathan Spooner: jonathan thanks loads come camp in the summer let me shake your hand sam x
> (In reply to EricaB) ERICA AS THE FISH SAID WHEN IT LOOKED OUT AT THE MOUNTAIN you rock !! thanks im of to look for a poem that expreses my thanks to you all you have reached the target in two weeks .today posativity give negativity a bloody nose (and negativity smiled and said that was my bloody nose thanks ) x sam

eres one
so to my family my friends i want known i want to be their throne that they can sit on as queens and kings and be lifted .
i want for them to be their favourite bird and then i would be the the wind to their featheed limbs and as they drift i shall lift with .
to my earthly child hood clay friends , i hope to be the pale translucent sky as it holds up their morning sun and at night i would be the blackness sourounding their moon making shure that their nest rest would not be disturbed to soo as they wait to wake to ebb to float asleap but still tellin jokes .
In reply to EricaB: all donors emails are automaticly registerd with simmy so i can thank you and invite you to the donors club at the hope proje which of course meens the gathering of the UKC clan in june thanks 2250 quid beyond kindness thanks x happy mums day you mums dont we all love our mums x
 chris wyatt 18 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB: Sam. Well done ! I'm sure we're all chuffed you've got your initial target! Please keep us all informed on the next stage!
In reply to chris wyatt: hi chris yes im walking on air the next stage is to get a digger to open the plot up and then get concrete and i will put in the floor you see i can do this before the planner comes back to me as there is a building rights for the last building the planner is terying to enlarge this and site a permanent security guard but concrete floors are quite safe to get on with .i think 1500 for the floor and about 5oo quid for the digger is about right but im geting a definite price this week . thank everyone for me please i know unity boys are astounded i will try to get some to say hello if thats ok sam x
In reply to EricaB: gota share tis news today i woke up and felt like i had a job as im emailing my contacts telling them to consider donating thanks chaps you have given me employment and it feels FANTASTIC X SAM
 Minka 19 Mar 2012
Just saw this. Paddy's day donation from Dublin on it's way.
 thin bob 19 Mar 2012
In reply to Minka: nice one MInka!
Check the total, dudes, ain't no stopping us now! x
 thin bob 19 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB:
sam: get some concrete/cement in a bag for when the Unity Boys come down, they can leave thier handprints! cool!
[they gotta wear rubber gloves, cement burns!] x
Tiber young steering group 20 Mar 2012
..after the destruction i am so happy to see so many people from all places helping and supporting the beacon of hope ,,,what a great place for young b.e.m people from the inner city to travel to ,,i know the unity group very well,and have dealings with them ,my ypunger brother is a youth worker there i did signpost them to the beacon of hope,and am glad to see them visiting you i believe in june or july ,,i am hoping and looking at ways of bringing a group of 14 to 18 year olds my self this summer ,,they are the Tiber young peoples steering group who i facilitate , based on lodge lane , Liverpool 8 ,this group have worked so hard over the last 2 years to help change and develop there local community ,and also Tibers 5 achier site ,,,speaking to the group they really are upbeat ,and will meet next week to discuss how they can get there in there summer holidays ,,well done to Sammy and crew for your hard work ,,and i would deffo say thanks to all the people that believe in the beacon of hope and support what its doing ,giving young people maybe a life changing experiance ,,well done you all,,Nze
In reply to Minka: exellant stuff dublin ? i feel all global today xspeak soon x
In reply to thin bob: very good idea curry bob t will be done large scale i think x
 thin bob 20 Mar 2012
> (In reply to thin bob) very good idea curry bob t will be done large scale i think x

too right, brother Sam!
I think my statue should only be 23 feet rather than 34, though... Speak soon x
In reply to Tiber young steering group: nze IT WILL BE LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN UNITY ARE LAST WEEK IN JULY FIRST IN AUG ,AS MARVIN GAY SAID LETS GET IT ON X
 dsh 20 Mar 2012
Hi sam, I would love to help out, I have some time off work in June, I sent you en email through your website, cheers Dan
In reply to EricaB: Excellent, I've been with Johnny Dawes all day yes THE johnny dawes prolific climber from the book Full Of myself . we went to the project to see about the possibility of him doing masterclasses at the project and went for a stroll on the North Cliffs along the Southwest path looking at the scope of big scary new routes. Wow he was very impressed we checked out a lot of gnarly routs and decided instead to go to the driftwood spars at Trevounance Cove, the sun was fantastic, the beer was tasty, and he decided that YES he loved it and is very excited at the possibility of future interaction at the project and is coming back, so he will be at the UKC summercamp, ask him there what he thinks and get his advice. Speak soon, sam x
In reply to EricaB: i was with Samuel 'double whammy' farmer. what he forgot to tell you all was we saw a black cougar in a quarry we were scoping as a venue for kids on the SW path. johnny dawes
 thin bob 21 Mar 2012
> (In reply to EricaB) i was with Samuel 'double whammy' farmer. what he forgot to tell you all was we saw a black cougar in a quarry we were scoping as a venue for kids on the SW path. johnny dawes

sounds like a great day, dudes. And the beer is good in that pub . fabulous place, the Beacon.

Leave some easy routes for me Johnny, eh? I always wanted to name a route...
In reply to EricaB: exellant news the arcitect and the planner couldnt have been more in tune with our tempo and atitude they loved it and where amazed at how we are doing it ,and said YES its definatly within our reach we are making a outdoor holistic eco therapy centre on st agnes beacon hill at the north cliffs cornwall wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you guys what can i say you realy have done enough, amazing thanks i will ask the architect to say hello speak after my hangover tomorrow peace thanks sam x
 David Hooper 23 Mar 2012
In reply to The Hope Project: hey sam
You said "in tune with our tempo" - you've been hanging out with the dawes too long
Congrats on the progress and maybe post some architects drawings when they are completed.
In reply to EricaB: yes defo im getting arron the architect to come speak to you guys personaly he is amazed at how we are doin this thing i think its a first , hey ask johnny to come say hello properly and give an account of his visit he wont say no to you dave
In reply to David Hooper: dave does the free log cabin camp stil exist on the shoulder of snowden overlooking bedgellert do you know it sam !
 David Hooper 25 Mar 2012
In reply to The Hope Project: if I mean the one near Nantmor,Janek last used it a few years back. I will ask him tomorrow.
 rockjedi12345 25 Mar 2012

Sam I have just read the article and can truly say it bought a tear to my eye. I am cornish and proud of this, I am disgusted that you have recieved such a hostile small minded welcome in this beutiful county.

I think that what you do is very worthwhile and important if you can inspire just one young person through the project then its worth every penny, and the north coast will certainly help to inspire many.

Sadly you have met the few who give everyone in this beutiful area a bad name. I wish you every luck and I hope that whoever is responsible is found and put before the courts.

hope to see you around

James
 fire_munki 26 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB:
I'm another of these cash poor but time rich people, I can't spare anything other than my time.
I'm not too far over the Tamar so if there is a big day of lifting/painting/moving stuff please count me in.
I've also, for what its worth, dropped a email to a old school friend who work in media/marketing back home in Truro to see if we can raise any more awareness and prove us Cornish are not narrow minded fools.
In reply to EricaB:

Nothing short of a disgrace.
 Maria - Spanny 26 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB: Hi there, sorry i tried to read every single post but there are too many, i would like to help to, how are you collecting money or what other ways are to help?
 thin bob 26 Mar 2012
In reply to xusa:
http://www.thebeaconofhope.co.uk/
and going there...possible barbeque over the 'weekend' 1-5th June
Sam asked me to post that there are 179 'members'..be the 180th, matey!
In reply to EricaB: gota share this wild country are helping us im waiting for the call now wow exellant guys you have revitilised ours and others dreams give yourselves a pat on the back and feel my glow sam x
 thin bob 27 Mar 2012
> (In reply to EricaB) gota share this wild country are helping us im waiting for the call now wow exellant guys you have revitilised ours and others dreams give yourselves a pat on the back and feel my glow sam x

Yeah, I remember talking about it & I remember seeing a post from a Wild Country guy to help re-equip..would love to thank them personally..Nice one!

and if you do see this, Mr Wild Country...call me if I can help..i filled the jamjar with gear once & drove from London, can certainly do it again
 thin bob 27 Mar 2012
In reply to thin bob:
Found it! http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=498609

Ritchie Patterson, you are a dude, sir!
FISHYFINGERED 27 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB: mindless thugs. Good on Sam Farmer and his family for staying.
 Euge 28 Mar 2012
In reply to EricaB: I've just seen this and have raised it on my facebook page. Does my heart good to see this response. I love Cornwall and find it hard to believe that something like this could happen there.

Best of luck in the future Sam, keep up the good work.

Cheers
Eugene
In reply to EricaB: guys i feel ignorant as ive only just found your blessings on my email so i couldnet respond here is my tel 07542187154 please call or text so i can say thanks and interact drekly (acornish joke )thanks chaps you have instiled confidence in humanity not just for me but to all who are witnessing your reaction thanks sam x ps donors i stil cant acces your email yet but i will and will be in touch to congratulate and thank you properly sam x
In reply to EricaB: guys can i do a oscar type speach thanking donors becaues i cant yet get email adresses to do it personaly , i will do it in stages , over the coming week ,exellant ps planning is moving fast then on to digging and concrete wich i have most of the money for ,thanks to RIAN L,Tom s,Nicholas s ,Simon m, jamie L,eugene o,mairi n,ian m,maddy a ,brian m,mike b ,kathryn (me me mums name )d, jon m, tom c,geof n,johnny l, david f, patricia l,ian m,dominica b,(nice name )nick p,carlion t,mehmet k,martin m,thanks guys you are now members of the hope project if you want that is ! please feel free to come and reasonably utilise this location for outdoor recreation and witnes the good you are doing , i will keep doing this til you all have seen your names or been emailed, unles told not to ! there is now 182 fantastic members of the donors club exellant lets change the world with little steps thanks hopfully see you in summer sam x
In reply to EricaB: hey guys a busy week at the hope project this week im very very happy to be talking to the exellant pinnacle club of very very able female climbers in the hope of them having some very posative interaction with us at the hope project , plus ive been showing john dawes some very very very new and scary routes that only the best climbers can unlock more news will follow , as promiosed can i say thanks and welcome to miss applyard ,thom d, gary g, ian a , kris a, mike b, steph i, ruth i, alison b, valerie p, gareth p, jonathan l, stephen k, david p, barney a, mark h, andy h, peter p, mark h, mat m, can i also ask youi guys if its ok for now to divert funds from digging and concrete to toilets and showers as we have two groups wanting to come down and this my girlfriend carla tells me is the most important thing , just one reply will allay my mind thanks speak soon sam ps come and enjoy your land soon please ,ps chris waite what happend to easter it was fab you missed it never mind speak soon x
In reply to The Hope Project: You should do what you think is right Sam! You're the guy on the ground.
 thin bob 17 Apr 2012
In reply to EricaB:
As you might know, I've been helping Sam with some admin stuff for the Beacon of Hope project. He just called to say Wild Country phoned....they're packing up stuff today! Harnesses, helmets, ropes, shoes, krabs etc....12 of EACH!! Amazing, fantastic, brilliant stuff!! The sun came out !
Thank you Wild Country
In reply to EricaB:

Just spoken to Samuel, he's got some work going this summer. He's planning on borrowing boats from a mate down there. He's soon to receive a batch load of kit from wild country and has people funding the young people coming down to the centre. I believe he has them for four weeks during July and August.

I have agreed to do some work for him, although he is also looking for a female SPA who is based or can work in Cornwall over the summer. Any takers?

Cheers, Alex
 thin bob 17 Apr 2012
In reply to The Green Giant: Wow, Nice one TGG! good on ya!
In reply to EricaB: UKC have saved the hope project i want this commonly said without allan james i would be back at the start any body after this efort is folowing ukc s path to equality in the outdoors head honcho allan respects to you and your fanatastic groundbraeking org UKC sam x
 thin bob 17 Apr 2012
Yes, yes, absolutely. Alan, you're a diamond!!
 thin bob 23 Apr 2012
In reply to EricaB:
More good news!
Can't say who just yet, but a couple more gear manufacturers are donating this week Woohooo!!
 thin bob 30 Apr 2012
In reply to EricaB:
Step up, Steph & Marmot!! Thank you so much for sending gear Sam was gobsmacked with the new gear, I've been having fun with minor repairs on the others..and plenty of building / art materials
Much love & peace
 Rob Naylor 30 Apr 2012
In reply to thin bob:

This is an amazing response to a horrific story. First time in 3 months I've read the Forums here so only just seen this.

I don't have kit to give, so best I could do was a very modest paypal donation. Good luck with the rebuilding, Sam.
trollman 30 Apr 2012
In reply to The Hope Project: Just spent most of the evening reading this story, somehow I missed it weeks ago, seems those flames that came to destroy,have really become a beacon of great things to come, well done guys for all the good work, iv done my chipping in, also
got some gear if anyone's making a trip down from London.

Best wishes trollman
 thin bob 30 Apr 2012
In reply to trollman:
Good man! Nice one, chief....i'll put another post up before i go down, hopefully in a couple of weeks
I have just heard from Sam that Annapurna the London based HR Company have just made a huge contribution to the cause.... Amazing, I cant believe how generous people are being. Its so lovely.
fxceltic 02 May 2012
In reply to ripoffthemonkey:
> I have just heard from Sam that Annapurna the London based HR Company have just made a huge contribution to the cause.... Amazing, I cant believe how generous people are being. Its so lovely.

Apologies for being a pedant but we are actually a recruitment company (specialising in HR & IT).

We donate to a number of causes via 1% for the planet (www.onepercentfortheplanet.org) every year, and we tried to get Sams project authorised as a non-profit. Unfortunately for a couple of technical reasons he didnt get approved but 1% allowed me to count the donation as part of our 1% in any case, so big thanks should go to them for being flexible, and by extension, Patagonia clothing (both founded by Yvon Chouinard).

If any of you are in a position to influence your businesses to join 1% for the planet then I thoroughly recommend it.
Also, if any of you hire for HR or IT people in your company, please bear us in mind as continued support from our clients allows us to do this sort of thing!
fxceltic 02 May 2012
In reply to EricaB: Ive also been having a think about how to get the campaign moving again, as the donations have stalled a bit.

I was thinking that a combination of the following might work but wanted to check if any of them have already been done and what, if anything happened?

Twitter - tweeting about what happened with a link to the donation page and then asking "celebs" that are heavily followed to retweet

Newspapers - contacting all the major newsdesks (Ive got a mate who was a journalist who might be able to help us in terms of how best to approach this

Contacting Anti-racist groups - they would have better press contacts than us, probably, and could help the above. Who are the major ones?

Camerons Big Society - it seems to me that the government struggle to pitch this concept and, putting aside the politics of it (Im only interested in the outcome), this would seem to be a good example of the "big society" in action. I therefore wondered if we shouldnt contact Downing Street to alert them to this example. The publicity could potentially be similar to the whole thing that happened with Cameron on mumsnet etc? Might be clutching at straws there though.
 Alyson 02 May 2012
In reply to fxceltic: I would rather sprinkle salt and vinegar on my stinky, chalk-dusted, foot-flavoured jokers and eat them for dinner than let the Conservatives or that odious PM of ours take one iota of credit for the generosity and charitability of others.

I like your other ideas though
fxceltic 02 May 2012
In reply to Alyson:
> (In reply to fxceltic) I would rather sprinkle salt and vinegar on my stinky, chalk-dusted, foot-flavoured jokers and eat them for dinner than let the Conservatives or that odious PM of ours take one iota of credit for the generosity and charitability of others.
>
> I like your other ideas though

I basically agree with you (and I suspect Sam may feel similarly to you) but, as I said, surely the potential outcome would matter more than the politics of the situation?
 Alyson 02 May 2012
In reply to fxceltic: I think you are more likely to put people off. Regardless of political affiliation, surely no one wants to feel that their generosity is a win for some government think-tank? Look at the Claire Squires thing - people give out of sympathy, and they give out of wanting to be a part of something moving and kind-spirited. Awareness-raising through the internet and social media makes people feel empowered, it makes us feel like humanity can change the world. I have a strong feeling that you risk alienating people if you allow a political party to take credit (which is undoubtedly what they'd do) for the idea.
fxceltic 02 May 2012
In reply to Alyson: yeah you may be right
In reply to fxceltic:

I do apologise. Its fantastic that such a scheme exists. it really helps small buisness out and in turn helps other buisness. Excellent.

Indeed Patagonia need a big thanks. Not only for being part of the project, but making fantastic wetsuits! They kept me warn this winter just gone thats for sure.

I am meeting Sam later this evening. We are going to discuss various ideas for the website and posters etc...

I will also have a chat with him about the tweeting ideas, Celebrities, etc etc...
 thin bob 02 May 2012
In reply to fxceltic:
Youse is Top geezer!

'Hope Not Hate' is on the radar for a pinging, as is a follow up from 'The Voice'. gotta sort out Avazz as well.

This is a 'big society thing', though I'm with Alyson: i'd rather be found dead in a ditch with Bernard manning than let scameron et al get his tentacles on it. Unless they, maybe, donated body parts for the cause...
In reply to EricaB: guys ive just arived down from my high , the point is we need to promote companys that strictly adhere to a tripple bottom line like the fabulous Annapurna recruitment agency , they realy make shure that they invest into enviroment, comunity and only then profit .excellant this is the future we need to promote these forward thinking companys this action will save the world we need proper tax breaks for firms that show this initiative
this is not a advertisment this is me we need to make other companys follow their lead so we can live in a cleaner , healthier , more sustainable world please use Annapurna , wild country , UKC , and now marmot these companys care lets get behind them thanks and pass on to them the glow sam x
In reply to EricaB: im so impresed by steph jones from marmot she is on her own atempting to help marmot become a tripple bottom line company by helping the hope project by giving the most needed returns they get to us and not going to landfill , she is doing this herself of her own bat taking a risk for the enviroment and in turn making marmot even more ethical steph fantastic marmot should be very proud of you i will now buy more marmot becouse of you these tents though the groundsheats leak( returns) are fantastic and suit us fine thanks marmot keep it up ,keep hold of steph we at the hope project want her now .
What Goes Up 17 May 2012
In reply to EricaB: Hi Sam, just thought I'd give you and this thread a shout a) to give it a little bump again and b) to say that if you need a few good hands a couple of weeks from now we might be able help out as I've got some mates heading to your area(ish) for a wedding. How's about we pop down your way for a few days and either knock something down or help put somthing better up? Drop me a line if the week after 15th June is good for you.

Keep up the good work

Stephen
In reply to What Goes Up: hey that would be fab thanks a lot new friend please stay in touch and we can plan a build or clear up no 11 07542187154 give us a call somtime.

hey a good time for a donor name thank, thank you to edwin m ,tomk h,stuart h,dan h,ivan b duncan m,michel h,ryan m,kathryn c,aw reid ,luke s,serena t,eleri d,sam r. rob van h wow fab name niel m,ashley f,heather l,phew only twenty to go
its a good week guys as you know annapurna helped loads we are this week making the toilets and a new roof on the nest , hey donors club i meant what i said this summer the land is yours come an enjoy it ,
still having a open land session june 1 to 5th come if you need a fab place to camp ,a bonfier /barbie every night, and a chill time on the beacon hill june 5 th is massive queens paid fo bonfire time so its a bring an sing what have you, thanks guys speak soon sam xx
What Goes Up 28 May 2012
In reply to EricaB: Following my last post I've spoken to Sam and I'm planning on heading down to the project on the 18th / 19th of June with a couple of mates to help out with some shower block building and various bits and bobs. It sounds like they could still do with a few bits of kit down there if anyone's got anything knocking around they don't need, in particular nuts and stuff for trad, and also old / retired ropes which can be recycled as building materials (they won't be climbed on). I'm based in Hampshire, Winchester specifically, so if anyone around here is feeling generous and would like me to take anything down with me feel free to drop me a line.

Cheers all - I'll try and take some piccies while I'm down there so people can see how it's coming on.
In reply to EricaB: had to report back to this thread as it was here from the start .with thin bob and your massive help we have made showers , 2 new areas ,a new nest (very important) dug many holes for bogs due to be finished this week . we have recived lots of interest from youth groups and are working with two for sure its like talking to myself but still i got to say thanks everyone i recived info from the architect that the plans are ready for the planning aplication i will keep you posted pics are on fb how do i send them here,
anyhow thanks thanks guys you made me look at myself by your generous help i will get the kids to make a vid saying wow (im geting very exited noises from the kids , ps we have employed two tearaways from the village and they are now becouse of this becoming a digger driver (jamie) and a carpenter (dave ) plus thin bob aka deisel has got therapy from the work and love he experienced so wow its working WOW XXXXX SAM
 thin bob 09 Jun 2012
Fantastic week, many good things and green shoots...and dug dirt

Another report soon, long & short of it is that UKC & Annapurna cash has enabled a real solid start, foundations dug, debating corner etc etc. (& amazing amount of gear from from Marmot & Wild Country of course).
Peace & love, you've really started something , people xx
What Goes Up 24 Jun 2012
In reply to thin bob: ...and I'm just back from there myself after a couple of days of construction therapy! Amazing place - unbelievable views matched only by Sam's hospitality and his fishmonger's generosity! I've sent some photo across to Sam which I guess will appear on the Beacon of Hope's facebook page before long if anyone's interested.

We were working on getting the essentials in place before the first bacth of kids arrive in August, so the toilets are fixed in place and ready for completion, and Butterfly Corner (the chill-out area I guess although to be honest the whole place is a chill-out area!) is good to go, with fireplace in situ and the hotseat built for whoever is leading the discussions.

Sam's also built a debating area up in the opposite corner of the site in honour of UKC, all the support it's shown and for the benefit of those who will be descending for his open weekend of hospitality shortly. Going to be interesting to find out how face-to-face debating goes down as opposed to online!

Just a quick shout out from my own observations while I was down there - the support he's received with all the climbing stuff has been amazing; personal and individual members' donations and now several of the manufacturers and suppliers chipping in with all sorts of stuff too. I reckon he could do with a few tools though to help get the rest of the DIY parts of the project built. Even the basics - spades, screwdrivers, saws (there's a LOT of wood to cut), buckets, seldgehammer... If anyone has any spares kicking around however old and knackered and happens to be passing by I'm sure they would go down well.

If you get the chance pop down and see it - highly recommended!
 thin bob 18 Jul 2012
In reply to EricaB: Just back as well..the difference since a month ago is astounding! Good work WGU etc .

Sam sends hugs...and coffee...and fish

New article soon I hope. Also hope the weather clears up
What Goes Up 18 Jul 2012
In reply to thin bob: Cool - great to hear it's going strong down there. That first batch of kiddies can't be far away now. Hoping to drop by again in August when I'm in that part of the world for a job. We'll have to try and hook up down there at the same time one of these days Bob rather than passing each other on the A303.
 thin bob 18 Jul 2012
In reply to What Goes Up:
Absolute top idea! depending on which way you come, we might be able to meet Leon for a climb at portland, too .

Deffo gotta get Sam out on the rock again....if only to slow him down ...
[Good luck with the job, BTW!]
In reply to thin bob: curry filled bob it was wet it was wild it was west cornwall at its best .the kids were totaly fantastic they partied in storm they laughed at the gales as the kitchen roof blew of (whilst the cooks carried on making breaky), they climbed and abseiled on the top of the beacon hill, went to perranporth beach an played volley ball,roamed round eden ,visited st ives and took part in a elvis expo ,we went orientearing played pirats so mutch to say !!!! they had a total blast it reminded me why i did this imposible task it was like going to see god even tho i know god is kids laughing so make em laugh an see god . we saw kids stop chewing on sleeves to ask for a chat instead ,it was total total get a job like this fabtastic , im nackerd ,skint ,aching burned and sore but hey it was the best thing ive done in the last ten years UKC thanks so mutch for starting this mad mad mission of mercy to get kids to the best parts of the uk for the best persuits everyone thin bob ,ANNAPURNA ,UKC,MARMOT,WILDCOUNTRY ,DONORS CLUB , PINNACLE CLUB FRIENDS AND OTHERS WITH ENERGY THANKS ON BEHALF OF THE KIDS XXXXXXXXXX SAM PS CHILL TIME PLEASE COME VISIT X

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...