UKC

Bowling crag - Dumbarton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EvoDave 25 Oct 2020

Hi. 
Does anyone have any definitive information on Bowling crag climbs. 
Ive seen various bits of info but lots of things are missing or not clear. 
on UKC it says there are 9 climbs but only 4 listed. 2 of which don’t have clear beta. 
on Scottish climbs it lists a few other climbs with limited info and mentions other climbs not listed or where they go. 

Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks. 

peppermill 25 Oct 2020
In reply to EvoDave:

Haven't climbed the routes but had a bit of a scout of the crag when I was cycling past last year. 

I think there's very few logged routes for a reason! ;p

OP EvoDave 25 Oct 2020

Reason I want info, is the crag is just round from my work and is an easy one to find my feet again after a long layoff climbing.👍

drconline 25 Oct 2020
In reply to EvoDave:

Hi there, I had the same thought a while back and went to look.

Things might have changed now but back then It was small, manky and not at all suitable for getting back into climbing I would suggest.

Lower offs were rusty and climbs were hard.

i did notice there were a couple of new routes added so maybe someone has tidied it up.

It’s really easy to get to so go and have a look and let us know.

Burnsie 25 Oct 2020
In reply to EvoDave:

its in the lowland outcrops guide - given the busyness of dumby recently spreading out abit is probably a sensible thing to do.. doubt anyone has climbed there for a while.

kwoods 25 Oct 2020
In reply to Burnsie:

I put some of the routes into UKC a couple months back. As moves go, the climbing isn't bad, but unfortunately it's an awkward middle-ground between 'higher than bouldering' but 'too short for trad'.

One example - did Astroboy with the hard bottom section over a boulder pad. Protected the upper wall with nut wires hooked on bolt stubs. Finished by clipping a pre-arranged lower off from a tree as there is no top out bolts for that. Totally weird!

Post edited at 20:16
OP EvoDave 26 Oct 2020

So is astroboy the crack with wall above right of arete or the crack further right that goes to the top? Trying to figure out what is astroboy and what is Yosemite crack?

drconline 26 Oct 2020
In reply to kwoods:

Thanks for the info Kevin. Sounds like a real faff but I guess needs must in these weird times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...