UKC

Cemmaes, Machynlleth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frank Boase 05 Sep 2019

Does any body know of climbing (any grade), at or near Cemmaes, Machynlleth.

Thanks.

Dave Williams 05 Sep 2019
In reply to Frank Boase:

All the following are within 30 mins, Cwm Cywarch being the closest and about 15-20 mins:

Cwm Cywarch

Cadair Idris

Southern Rhinogydd

starbug 05 Sep 2019
In reply to Frank Boase:

Have a look at the maps on the two links below should show you everything within a reasonable distance.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/books/central_wales__a_guide_to_climbing...

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/books/meirionnydd-132

Cywarch and Cader as already mentioned are good areas with easy walk in's Rhinogyddau are longer walks and not that frequented. That said its usually pretty quiet round here

Dave Williams 05 Sep 2019

> Cywarch and Cader as already mentioned are good areas with easy walk in's Rhinogyddau are longer walks and not that frequented. That said its usually pretty quiet round here

I realise that it's only an issue of perception/opinion, but I would counter that there are no “easy“ walk-ins to any Cadair Idris crags. (Thinking particularly of the most popular crags on Gwern Pillar, Craig y Cau and Cyfrwy here.) In my role of guidebook author, I have now been to every major Rhinogydd crag. Not one walk-in is as long as the ones to Lliwedd, Clogwyn Du'r Arddu or Craig yr Ysfa for example. Steepish approaches, such as to Tryfan or Cwm Glas, aren't an issue either, but I readily concede that the nature of the terrain means that some approaches are tough going in the absence of paths. Thankfully, virtually all the most popular Rhinogydd crags can be approached on reasonable to good paths. 

Contrary to popular myth, there are also many crags in the Rhinogydd with straightforward 10-20 min walk-ins on good paths from the car. In the Southern Rhinogydd - and very accessible from Cemmaes - Llechau'r Garn (aka Barmouth Slabs) would be a prime example, as would Craig y Goedwig in Cwm Mynach.

With the clear exception of Llechau'r Garn, you're spot-on about the Rhinogydd crags being quiet though; a state of affairs which is tantamount to perfection for some climbers.

Good links BTW, especially the first one!  

Post edited at 13:04
 starbug 05 Sep 2019
In reply to Dave Williams:

I agree its down to perception, my fitness must be better than I thought, I had Cyfrwy from Ty-Nant via the Pony path down as an easy walk in :-0

Against that I would put Walking on Water on the slabs above Llyn Hywel from Graigddu Isaf as a long harder walk.

The Elynedd guide has certainly opened my eyes as to whats available locally so thanks for the time and effort producing that.

If the OP is looking to find out about the area there is more than enough to go at at all grades. 

Paul Hy 05 Sep 2019
In reply to Frank Boase:

Craig Cywarch is listed in the Meirionnydd book with about 200+ routes!  if fact most of them are overgrown,  the Mountain Club has created a mini-guide, which has the current climbable routes listed.

http://www.themountainclub.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Craig-Cywarch-...

Post edited at 17:44
 Matt Podd 05 Sep 2019
In reply to Frank Boase:

Bird Rock, is good. Bolted slate above Dinas Mawddwy.

earlsdonwhu 05 Sep 2019
In reply to Frank Boase:

I think there is some esoteric stuff on the coast at Borth. 

Dave Williams 06 Sep 2019
In reply to starbug:

> Against that I would put Walking on Water on the slabs above Llyn Hywel from Graigddu Isaf as a long harder walk.

It's an awkward path in places. Impossible to get any sort of rhythm and it takes as long to descend as to ascend.

If you ever go up there again, the Rhinog Fach PDF file on the Steep Stone website describes 4 approaches to Cwm Hywel. Both the Cilcychwyn and Cefn Cam/Cwm Mynach approaches are noticably easier than the Nantcol roadhead approach. Both are on good paths but are a bit longer in distance.

> The Elynedd guide has certainly opened my eyes as to whats available locally so thanks for the time and effort producing that.

Thanks. User feedback is extremely rare, so most appreciated in this case.

In reply to Dave Williams:

Are there any routes on Clogwyn Pot at the top end of Cwm Bychan? I was looking at it yesterday and wondering - it looks like a very decent expanse of rock and very close to the car park. A long drive from Cemmaes however!

Thankyou from me as well for the Elenydd book, and also for the PDFs on your site. I had a good day at Carreg Yr Ogof a couple of weekends ago.

Dave Williams 07 Sep 2019
In reply to pancakeandchips:

Yes, Clogwyn Pot has received much attention in the past.  As you rightly say, it's a nice piece of rock.

Pleased you found the pdf to be of use. Carreg yr Ogof is a lovely little crag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...