UKC

Cheddar Gorge - Bolt on holds on outdoor crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tim Bateman 06 Oct 2022

Similar to the Cromford bolt on holds but at least they colour matched them to the crag.

Does this make it anymore acceptable is the question ??

Watch closely and you'll spot them :-

https://fb.watch/f_ho2Ud8bb/

Post edited at 09:17
In reply to Tim Bateman:

Well, and I’d reckon they’ve been there at least 10-15 years so the time to take issue with them has probably passed.

Access arrangements are already very sensitive at Cheddar. Can we be mindful of that when posting on this thread and try to avoid losing access to a second crag this week?

Post edited at 09:34
 Steve Claw 06 Oct 2022
In reply to Tim Bateman:

They have been there for years.

If you think that's bad then check out Sandford Quarry or Ubley Warren 

Post edited at 09:29
 PaulJepson 06 Oct 2022
In reply to Tim Bateman:

I did think of these when I saw the Willersley mess. Were they over any established routes, does anyone know?

Cheddar is a balancing act of tourism, tw*ts in souped-up civics and climbers and isn't really a prime example of how to do things. 

Don't they also have a bolted section of crag cordoned off above the centre that they only allow access to paying guides to or did I make that up?

OP Tim Bateman 06 Oct 2022
In reply to Stuart Williams:

Sorry if this is old news. It was new to me with the advert plastered all over my facebook feed this morning.

Post edited at 11:00
 beardy mike 06 Oct 2022
In reply to Tim Bateman:

This is very old news. Those holds have been there for as long as I can remember, and I've been in the area since 1996. In their defence, it's in a very limited area, there may have been routes there before but there's so much rock there it's hardly a massive loss, and I very much doubt they were of great value. In general the access has improved SO much since 1996, I don't think it would be entirely fair to remonstrate with them. At the end of the day, CC&G are a business there to make money and of all their activities, I'd say this is actually one of the less intrusive ones. Take for example charging for going up Jacobs Ladder (but not down), or the flippin proposal they made for a cable car to be strung up the gorge. Yes it's sub optimal. On the flip side, it may lead enquiring minds who have seen "real climbers" up in the main gorge to ask for a session, and could start a life long love of climbing...

ericinbristol 06 Oct 2022
In reply to Tim Bateman:

As a Cheddar regular for many years I can reassure you that they have been there for an extremely long time, completely out of the way from any standard climbing, with nil prospect of spillover from that location. Access is very delicate and I am extremely pleased to say it climbing access has increased in recent years, so we have plenty to be thankful for.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...