UKC

Climbing when pregnant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Donna 23 Sep 2002
Anyone got any experience or sensible advice re when to pack in climbing when pregnant?

Booked a trip to Kalymnos back in April and am now up the duff - will be 13 weeks when I go out there for a week. Not in the slightest bit tempted to try anything hard, just perhaps second a few easy routes in the sunshine.

Have asked GP and midwife who both made a bit of a sour face and said "No way" far too much risk. I've no intention of doing anything mental (bit of a wuss at the best of the time) and don't even intend to lead but of course I can't really expect them (GP and midwife) to have any real idea of what seconding an easy route entails.

My biggest concern is the effects of a harness squeezing my abdomen - no bump on show whatsoever at the moment.

Anyone out there have any experiences to share or advice?
 CragHead 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna:

You are taking the risk! if Doctor advise you not to then don't!
Dave C 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna:
Donna, it's not like just having an "occasional" glass of wine, you would be putting tremendous strain on your abdomen even if being loweered while top-roping.
If you took a fall who knows what strains would be subjected to the foetus.
My advice would be "take the GP and midwife's advice".

The crags aren't going anywhere.

Fiend 23 Sep 2002
In reply to CragHead:

And to give a more constructive reply:

Try searching around the net for info on this Donna. A while ago in Climbing mag (US) there was a good article by Alison Osius (I think) about climbing throughout the stages of pregancy, how she had could continue climbing but had to change her focus and gradually ease off until she reached a point where she personally felt it didn't feel right. Had info on harnesses and what sort of climbing works and what doesn't (from what I remember, steep walls and corners were good, slabs, bulges and roofs weren't - oh and the harness sat under her bump I think). Maybe they have an archive somewhere??

Maybe the best thing, having got yourself into this mess, is just to take it real easy and go with what feels right (will a doctor really have a clue about climbing?) and use common sense to avoid bumping the bump.
Dave C 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Fiend:

Sums it up really. Don't subject the baby to a fall. Thanks Fiend.
Wan 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna:
I would suggest you talk to a doctor who climbs. I don't suppose you have any climbing friends who are also doctors?
Failing that, someone like the BMC or plastic breadbin might be able to put in touch with a climbing doctor, but I suspect you will have to ask very nicely.
Dave C 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Dave C:
However, I wouldn't be very comfortable with being lowered down either. How can you tell what pressures are being applied in what direction to an unborn.
Dave C 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Wan:
I suspect they'll say "don't do it".

Personally I wouldn't risk it.
Donna 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna: Cheers fiend. That was the type of thing I was after. I'll do a search for the article.

I haven't actually been near rock since I found out I was pregnant and have mostly lost interest in climbing this year anyhow. Just thought I might be tempted if I see some nice looking warm rock out in Greece and am just too bored belaying all the time. Had no intention of doing anything other than a meander up something dead easy on a very tight rope. If I have anything approaching a bump when I get there my harness won't fit anyway and I'll just be doing my beached whale impersonation on the beach.
Fiend 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Dave C:

She said seconding. No need to be lowered.
Dave C 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Fiend:
But she might fall
Dave C 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Dave C:
Does anyone make "pregnant" harnesses, that get you above the hips, oh sorry, above the bulge. Erm...
Wan 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Dave C:
> (In reply to Wan)
> I suspect they'll say "don't do it".

Actually, I suggested it because that's exactly the sort of unhelpful answer I was sure they would never give.
At the very least I expect they might think about it and explain WHY they think it's a bad idea.
Alternatively they might say it will be fine. The lady did say 13 weeks, not eight months.

Fiend 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna:

> Had no intention of doing anything other than a meander up something dead easy on a very tight rope.

A BIT LIKE A LOT OF SO-CALLED CLIMBERS ON THIS FORUM THEN! (non-pregnant ones even...)
Dave C 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Wan:
I just hope she reads the full thread and not the titbits.
Anyone will tell you it's not an exact science.......
 gingerkate 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna:
Not climbed when pregnant, but have been pregnant, so a few thoughts:
(i) If you'd like to ask a female doctor who climbs about this, I know one and could put you in touch.
(ii) Fiend, she won't have a bump to speak of at 13 weeks. But re bumps and climbing, remember a harness works by your having a waist and hips, that's why kids need a full body harness, once a bump is big enough to lose your waist, you'd need to make yourselfsafe against inverting byturning your harness into a fullbody with slings.
(iii) I wouldn't do it myself.
But then I have had four miscarriages, so got nervy being driven on bumpy roads for pete's sake!
(iv) Baby's are very well cushioned in their. I can't see how you could do any harm tootaling up easy stuff and being lowered off.
Good luck
Fiend 23 Sep 2002
In reply to gingerkate:

> (ii) Fiend, she won't have a bump to speak of at 13 weeks. But re bumps and climbing, remember a harness works by your having a waist and hips, that's why kids need a full body harness, once a bump is big enough to lose your waist, you'd need to make yourselfsafe against inverting byturning your harness into a fullbody with slings.

I don't know about weeks and stuff, I was just trying to remember what I read in this article...
 Rob Naylor 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Wan:

I believe Alison Hargreaves did some fairly robust climbing when she was 7 months pregnant. Not advocating that, but 13 weeks isn't that far along to do some not-too-challenging routes.

I guess it's down to the individual. I've known some women who dropped anything physical like a hot potato as soon as they were pregnant. Others, like my wife, carried on as normal right up until the last minute. Strangely, my wife and other women I know who stayed active got back into shap very quickly after giving birth, whereas most of those I know who dropped physical activity turned into "lardies" and blamed it on their pregnancy!

Nick Ward 23 Sep 2002

at 13 weeks, little 'un isn't that big - and is very well protected - I'm no medical expert, but having 1 of my own, and 1 on the way - and being an inquisitive scientist, I have made an effort to work out whats going on in there - I can't imagine you'd do any damage bimbling up easy routes as a second.

I know it's not the same thing, but I have a friend who has a weak bowl - not in the way you imagine, but in terms of would collapse and go mushy (technical term) if punched very very hard. He climbs easy routes as a second with no problems...

Most GP's don't really know enough about climbing - or pregnacy to really comment on this - you really need to find a doctor or midwife, who climbs... with all the intentions in the world, you'll not get the advice you need here...
 gingerkate 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Rob Naylor:
13 weeks is about the ideal time I'd say.
Past the sickie stage, no significant bump, long way off the tired stage.
Dave C 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Rob Naylor:

> I guess it's down to the individual.

I think you've hit the nail on the head Rob.

It's all about rationalising risk.

So, if you appreciate the fact that "anything" can affect your pregnancy for good or bad then go for it.

So, why not increase the risk of submitting your abdomen to a large shock like a fall from a route, just to test the theory. I'm sure your unborn would thank you for it.

Yeah just do it.
 gingerkate 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Nick Ward:
Au contraire, she's asked in just the right place to find a doctor who climbs, as I said
Val Wilson 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna: I kow that climbing is so much fun-but there is such a big risk attached. I would give it a break if I were you. Even if you don't fall, a nasty bump can be very serious for a pregnant lady. Please give it some serious consideration.
Fiend 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Nick Ward:

> , but having 1 of my own, and 1 on the way - and being an inquisitive scientist, I have made an effort to work out whats going on in there - I can't imagine you'd do any damage bimbling up easy routes as a second.

I'm sure there's a good pisstake in here (probably two!) but I'm too lazy...
Nick Ward 23 Sep 2002
In reply to gingerkate: sorry I meant people like me, who have views only... not the few experts...
 gingerkate 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Dave C:
She's going to be on a very tight rope! She'd be more at risk hill walking!
Nick Ward 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Fiend: I'm glad to hear it.
 gingerkate 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Nick Ward:
I'm no expert, I'm just saying I know a doctor who climbs, a woman...... as you say, she'll have more idea than us lot
Dave C 23 Sep 2002
In reply to gingerkate:
I'm glad to hear it!
Jst don't drop her!
 gingerkate 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Dave C:
Doh! She isn't climbing with me! Doesn't anybody on this thread read anyone elses posts?
 marie 23 Sep 2002
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to Dave C)
> Doesn't anybody on this thread read anyone elses posts?

Surely thats the sensible and logical option....

Rob Naylor 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Val Wilson:
> (In reply to Donna) I kow that climbing is so much fun-but there is such a big risk attached. I would give it a break if I were you. Even if you don't fall, a nasty bump can be very serious for a pregnant lady. Please give it some serious consideration.

By the same criterion, should she not immediately give up travelling in cars? I honestly think that seconding something well within her capabilities, at 13 weeks, should not pose a problem (unless she has a history of miscarriages).

At 13 weeks, it was hard to detect that my wife was pregnant with any of our three. She could certainly have got into a harness easily (if she'd been a climber!) and any "bumps" received as a second (assuming she's not doing a long unprotected traverse) are not likely to be serious. It's not a *disease* fer chrissake.

Gingerkate's advice is the best...she can put Donna in touch with a female climbing doctor who'll be able to give input from a position of professional knowledge.

Rob Naylor 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Dave C:
> (In reply to Rob Naylor)
>
> [...]
>
> I think you've hit the nail on the head Rob.
>
> It's all about rationalising risk.
>
> So, why not increase the risk of submitting your abdomen to a large shock like a fall from a route, just to test the theory. I'm sure your unborn would thank you for it.

The lady's plannimg to *second* easy routes. Yes, there's always a slight danger that she *could* fall when her belayer's not paying attention, but how does that compare with the risk she'll be taking every time she gets into a car over the next months?

What about the risk to the unborn child's development of a mother-to-be who gives up all physical activity during pregnancy?
 gingerkate 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Rob Naylor:
and to put my comment re miscarriage in context, it isn't that bumpy car journeys etcetc increase the risk......it's that if you miscarry you start worrying 'was it because I did X, was it because I did Y...', when in reality it wasn't anything you did.
Im sure it'll be fine, Donna....like you say, it'll just be that your doctor doesnt know what's involved.
Dave C 23 Sep 2002
In reply to gingerkate:
How about finding you are 5 months pregnant, but were on the pill, and had been been told by doctors that you probably couldn't conceive anyway, but had injections in your arm as contraceptives for the past five years, and that was safe, but that you're 5 mothns pregnant.
mo 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Dave C:

do you ever feel a tremendous strain on your abdomen when lowering off? it actually has space there then! the strain is on your back....

in reply to donna:

i know several women who kept on climbing (toproping) untill they felt uncomfortable. the advice my friend actually got from here gp (or equivalent over here) is to do what felt right and not to worry about the baby because it was nicely tucked in there. she kept on doing easy 4´s and 5a´s until around 5-6 months. i would not recommend leading or anything in more alpine environments though.

enjoy!

mo
Dave C 23 Sep 2002
In reply to mo: exactly
 gingerkate 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Dave C:
Huh? Is this your woman you're talking about? She's just found out she's five months pregnant?
OP Hillman 23 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna:

Well I've done a few routes with a well preggers woman - Billingsgate (E1) at Millstone and Prana (E3) in Borrowdale when she was 6 or 7 months pregnant - she took it easy and all went ok - so don't hang your boots up yet......
Petra Ernst 24 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna:

Not myself pregnant but have a look at
http://www.timeoutdoors.com/climb/women/3CLMLYP01100204E.htm
it is an article about climbing when pregnant etc.

Pet
rich 24 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna: more 'mountains' than 'climbing' but i remember friends being advised to stay away from sheep (and similar) while pregnant
 Al Evans 24 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna: We did Heart Of The Sun when Andrea was 6 months pregnant with James (his first route) with no ill effects, not sure what the consequences of a leader fall at that stage would be though, I'd reccomend only seconding. Of course Alison Hargreaves did the N Face of the Eiger 6 months pregnant too.
 gingerkate 24 Sep 2002
In reply to rich:
Sheep: you need to stay away from lambing sheep and cat poo and also avoid eating rare meat when pregnant,as they can all carry toxoplasmiosis, which can damge or kill unborn babies.
Some people have already been exposed and are then immune.
 Simon Caldwell 24 Sep 2002
In reply to Rob Naylor:
>
> I believe Alison Hargreaves did some fairly robust climbing when she was 7 months pregnant.

North face of somewhere or other wasn't it? The Eiger?

> Not advocating that, but 13 weeks isn't that far along to do some not-too-challenging routes.

That's what I'd have thought, but then I'm not and never have been pregnant I did know a girl once who was still climbing at the local wall at 7 months, and no ill effects - of course that doesn't mean it's a sensible thing to do.
OP seth nlo 24 Sep 2002
In reply to Dave C:

A friend who carried on well into pregnancy swapped to a full body harness, which seemed pretty sensible.
 mich 24 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna:

There is an article at:

http://www.timeoutdoors.com/climb/women/4clmlyp01090202e.htm

I've also read things that say you have to be a bit careful about streatching as all your ligaments are more elastic or something? But most things I have read say that you should carry on but be careful of falls. God knows - you may not get any chance to climb once the baby escapes!

love mich
 Skyfall 24 Sep 2002
In reply to Hillman:
> (In reply to Donna)
>
> Well I've done a few routes with a well preggers woman - Billingsgate (E1) at Millstone and Prana (E3) in Borrowdale when she was 6 or 7 months pregnant - she took it easy and all went ok - so don't hang your boots up yet......

Good god, I'd get myself pregnant if it would get me up Prana Brilliant effort!

DON 24 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna: As a GP who has climbed but never been pregnant I would suggest that seconding within your ability would be fine - as has been said harnesses won't be a problem at that stage. I'd agree with other comments about avoiding lead falls tho no proof that there is a danger to the baby other than through any injuries yousustain. All this assumes you have had no problems with the pregnancy by then and your general health is good.

I find it interesting that you say you have lost interest in climbing since your pregnancy was confirmed - possibly some form of maternal instinct kicking in?

Best thing is to go with what feels right to you, whatever you decide good luck.

OP HelenO 24 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna:

I climbed several months into both my pregnancies (and occasionally led). It's your body - do what you feel is right for it. You won't have much time for climbing after the baby has been born!
 Carolyn 25 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna:

Donna,

Can't help from personal experience, but I know my cousin (who's a medic - SPR in obs & gynae - and so should have a reasonable idea of the real risks) was climbing at around 3 months pregnant. I've no idea if she's stopped yet (5 or 6 months), but I'll try and give her a ring and find out. Might take a day or two, as she's just moved house and she's only on a mobile with crap reception! I think she was only seconding, but don't know for sure.

Carolyn

Stuart S 26 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna:

Donna, if you get the chance, speak to Dale Kitching (Jonathan's wife). She was working as a climbing instructor whilst pregnant, and seemed to be managing fine...
gabba 26 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna: Donna,

my wife was doing some Am-dram show when she was a month or so pregnant, just a small part bit of dancing - anyway she started to bleed after the first night and spent a couple of days in hospital to save the baby (thnakfully fine and now an over axctive 11 month old) -

Food for thought - if dancing can do that, think what a fall, even seconding could do, but then as pointed out above over everyday activities such as driving are jsut as dangerous.
O Mighty Tim 26 Sep 2002
In reply to Stuart S: It amazes me how folk seem to think that a woman who is pregnant is suddenly made out of spun sugar?
Until about 4 months, Chris(My ex) had very little to show. Then suddenly, POP, she's got this bulge.
But sprog until then is in a water filled sac, within the abdomen, almost as though designed to protect the foetus from the outside world, innit...

Do what feels right for YOU!

Tim, TG
 Dave Garnett 26 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna:

I'm with the 'do what feels comforatable' camp. Our daughter did countless routes when she was up to 32 weeks in utero. I think her last route before had to learn to do it herself was a 23 at Hellfire (about E4). Our obstetrician could see we weren't going to be easily put off, but he did draw the line at mountain biking.
 Simon Caldwell 26 Sep 2002
In reply to gabba:
> if dancing can do that

Yes, "if". Sitting at home watching TV can have the same consequences.
janet 26 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna:
I was in the same situation a couple of years ago. We went to the south of france when I was about 19 weeks preg. I didn't lead but I did belay george, who was under strict instructions not to fall off. If we had been out with others I would have avoided belaying. The main prob was that by then my normal harness was rather tight and so I used my old harness (a wild country alpinist - rather like an black dimond alpine bod) that would go over the bump. I managed to TR 6c slabby walls and 6a's at Claret (v steep).
One point to note is that your joint begin to become more flexible as variour hormones soften them up so you may be more prone to pulling tendons ect.
I stopped bouldering quite early. At about 8 weeks I was at the wall and jumped off the top - the worry about the effect the jolt might of had made me feel physically sick!- after that i stuck to very low level traverses just to keep fit.
I kept mountain biking until about 12 weeks as the baby is still tucked in the pelvis but I was a bit slower on the down hills and I avoided big drops.

I got hold of quite a good book on the physiology of exercise during pregnancy and can send you the details if you want.

One advantage of having a long lay off is that your finger and elbows have a chance to recover!

Janet

janet 26 Sep 2002

>
> What about the risk to the unborn child's development of a mother-to-be who gives up all physical activity during pregnancy?

Good point - when I discussed exercise during pregnancy with my doc he said the main problem was most prgnant women didn't do enough of it!

Seriously though after I had had my little boy I was in a ward full of women who all said that birth was physically knackering ect ect. None of them seemed to do any exercise in there pre pregnancy life- let alone spend long days hillwalking/climbing/biking. I felt birth was hard work but not too bad in terms of physical effort (I know all women are different) and I think this may be because I am used to pushing myself physically. I know quite a few other women who felt the same way.

Janet

Clare A 26 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna:

Congratulations!

The answer to the harness problem is an Alpine harness. I met a woman this summer who was climbing very happily in one of these at 5 months and said she felt very well-supported. She struck me as an ordinarily-cautious woman rather than a do-or-die maniac. She said that at that stage the bump had started to affect her balance (and coordination is sometimes less than brilliant in pregnancy, for some reason) so she was taking it very easy and was about to give up.

I like to think I'd carry on in that "interesting condition" but you never know if you're going to be stricken with anxiety like Gingerkate. I think in pregnancy (as, ideally, in any other condition) you listen to your own sense of what's right and reasonable.

Anyway, at 13 weeks you should be pumping with second-trimester Happy Hormones and raring to go. You may find your climbing better than ever!
jop 27 Sep 2002
In reply to gabba:

Don't be such an arse. Just becuase you had a bad experience doesn't mean that she will. It may have had nothing to do with dancing. My sister bleed for all nine months of her pregnancy and didn't do a stitch of excercise.

Everything I have read says that the only thing that can damage the baby is a "direct fall onto a sharp object". I have heard of women training for marathons, and triathalons, etc. I'm sure a bit of seconding in a good harness isn't going to do any damage at all.

You just have to listen to your body and do what feels right. Don't let anyone scare you into not doing it.
 Rob Naylor 27 Sep 2002
In reply to gabba:
> (In reply to Donna) Donna,
>
> my wife was doing some Am-dram show when she was a month or so pregnant, just a small part bit of dancing - anyway she started to bleed after the first night and spent a couple of days in hospital to save the baby (thnakfully fine and now an over axctive 11 month old) -

I think your wife was very unlucky. One of my daughters' dancing instructors was dancing very energetically ubtil lte in her pregnancy without problems. My wife carried on as normal with all our 3 without problems. We moved house in month 7 of no2, and she was lifting tables, beds and stuff around with no problems.

A friend stopped all pphysical activity as soon as she found out. She ballooned up (nver lost it since) and had several bleeds/ hospital visits while sitting in a chair doing nowt.
 gingerkate 27 Sep 2002
In reply to Rob Naylor:
The starting to bleed after dancing is likely just co-incidence, unless she had some particular medical problem, surely?
Anytime a woman starts to bleed in pregnancy she'll be able to search around and find something she's just done that might be the 'cause', but this has more to do with self-blame and anxiety than anything physical.
OP Greg 27 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna:

You might want to take a 30ft whipper at about 8 and a half months, sure would be a short and painless labour :0)
 Carless 27 Sep 2002
In reply to Donna:

Last year I was climbing next to someone who was over 7 months pregnant.
Her doctor had told her no leading and second straight routes (no traverses) with a snug rope.

She has since given birth no problems and is back climbing.

Admittedly she was struggling on f6b overhangs whereas she normally climbs 7c.

YMMV. Normal disclaimers apply.
Simon 01 Oct 2002
In reply to Donna:
My partner climbed as normal into her 5th month of pregnancy (and her consultant thought climbing was fine as long as she felt fine). By the 6th month she no longer felt comfotable and stopped. There were no problems.
Dave Collier 01 Oct 2002
In reply to Simon:

Yep, both my partner and I climbed the hardest we've ever climbed (Orogeny, E2, actually not too bad to second for her but slightly dangerous to lead)when she was close to 7 months pregnant (unfortunately she won't let me publish the photos). I'm not sure whether this was desperation knowing we'd not be as free to climb post-Ewan or what.

Having said that Jude did do herself some damage to her back on "Chequers Buttress" (HVS) due to the softening of tissues that has been mentioned on earlier comments and this still bothers her 4 years later. So you do have to be pretty careful not to overdo it physically I think.

It took longer for Jude to feel fit enough to get back into climbing afterwards (although Ewan and I had our first climb together when he was a month old)though with our second one, Erin, born this February Jude was back into it quite quickly while I moped about with a buggered shoulder. So she's done considerably more climbing than I have this year and I've been left holding the baby. I'm sure that's not how it's supposed to happen.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...