UKC

Climbing Whilst pregnant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Foghornfifi 13 Mar 2006
Anyone any experience or advice? I am only 10 weeks at the mo so not too fat yet! But the summer is coming soon (fingers crossed) and I don't want to be stuck belaying for people all summer. I except that leading probably isn't a good idea as the risk of bumping the bump if I take a fall is too high but seconding? Using a full body harness when bump gets too big for my usual harness? ANy ideas?

Fi
 Flibble 13 Mar 2006
In reply to Foghornfifi:
I wouldn't have thought there would have been a problem as long as your careful.
 Norrie Muir 13 Mar 2006
In reply to Foghornfifi:

Dear Fog

You have got me stumped with that bit of advice, I've never been pregnant. I hope everything goes well for you and the future child.

Norrie
dinkypen 13 Mar 2006
In reply to Foghornfifi:

There has been a fair bit of discussion on this topic over the last year or so but in particular there was some good stuff on Carolyn's thread;

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=128986&v=1#1783717

A mate of mine was climbing (on top rope) right up until the week before the baby was born. She wore a full body harness from quite early on and was very active.

Hope you enjoy your pregnancy
Foghornfifi 13 Mar 2006
Thanks for the links. I have read a lot of the other threads that have been previously posted and they seem to pretty much cover it!

Will keep climbing and use a full body harness when needed. Sounds good to me mentally and physically. Just hope that sprog doesn't mind cragging when he or she gets old enough to!

Fi
ZZR600D3 13 Mar 2006
PS,

Many congrats on the expected sprog!!! Just be very careful...
 sutty 13 Mar 2006
In reply to Foghornfifi:

What do you mean, him or her? Didn't you know it was triplets?

;-P
JRobertson 13 Mar 2006
In reply to ZZR600D3:
> PS,
>
> Just be very careful...

Sounds a bit late for that particular bit of advice!
Foghornfifi 13 Mar 2006
In reply to sutty:

Triplets? I really hope not as far too expensive to set them all up in lead racks when they get older. But at least they wouldn't be stuck for a climbing partner or two...

Fi
 sutty 13 Mar 2006
In reply to Foghornfifi:

Well Jon Greengrass wants to call his son Claude, he has been watching too much Heartbeat but it will be a girl called Claudette!
Foghornfifi 13 Mar 2006
In reply to Sutty

Who is Jon Greengrass or is that showing my ignorance too much? I will need some suggestions on names at some stage but haven't got that far yet!

Fi
 sutty 13 Mar 2006
 nniff 13 Mar 2006
In reply to Foghornfifi:

Breda Arkless used to climb all summer in the Alps while pregnant, even at 7 months.
 JayH 13 Mar 2006
In reply to sutty:

> He is lovely really.

Aha! Rumbled! He sends Man-Love to you, too.

Foghornfifi, Jon Greengrass is my husband, father-to-be in about 4 weeks and avid climber. He used to post a lot on this website years and years ago. The threat to call his baby Claude/Claudette is just a joke (otherwise he'd be registering a divorce at the same time).

I see you've already got the links to all the good information threads. I guess the oly other thing I'd add is that boring old cliche "Listen to your body". It's a cliche cos it's true - it'll certainly honk up when you're overdoing it. Definitely stay active, though, whether through climbing or any of your *usual* activities as long as you can - it makes a real difference to being able to sleep, restless legs, blood pressure, general health later on in your pregnancy. I found I lost my head for heights or even minor risk-taking almost from the word 'go', so can't advise from a personal point of view.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your pregnancy, and many congratulations!
 JoH 13 Mar 2006
In reply to Foghornfifi:

Hi

I had my wee lad about 6 weeks ago now. I climbed/bouldered until 22 weeks though not at usual frenetic intensity and after that I found my centre of gravity went on holiday and left me a pile of uncoordinated pile of nervous, emotional wibble. After that the wee bugger kept trying to get out early so was 'grounded' full stop by the doc anyway.

Echo Jay's comments about staying active though as long as you can. Even if you end up just walking in the hills.

Just be careful. Even if you do have to give up climbing for the pregnancy, its only 40 weeks out of your life.
 sg 13 Mar 2006
In reply to JoH:
> (In reply to Foghornfifi)
>

>
> Just be careful. Even if you do have to give up climbing for the pregnancy, its only 40 weeks out of your life.

yeah, and then they're born and then like 18 years later you'll be back on here going 'used to be into climbing many years ago, just getting back into it again after a while out - having kids etc.' least it feels like that to me at the moment!
In reply to sg:
> yeah, and then they're born and then like 18 years later you'll be back on here going 'used to be into climbing many years ago

Nah. It only takes three years to get back into it in my experience. The problem I had for ages was that bring at peak fitness and getting pregnant appear to be linked in my case. Luckily I've cottoned onto that and have managed to avoid it recently.
 JoH 13 Mar 2006
In reply to sg:

Nah, I already have three others and they never stopped me climbing. Used to take them with me and they slept while mummy bouldered or I went with like minded friends and took turns looking after kids/belaying/leading/bouldering. I even got out in winter when granny looked after them (ok difficult for people who live far away or don't have).

In reply to JoH:

I find Fontainebleau is the best. The kids love it and we can all climb. If my husband wants a break, I sometimes head off there with the kids on my own, and I still manage to get a fair bit of climbing done.
 sg 13 Mar 2006
In reply to JoH:
> (In reply to sg)
>
> Nah, I already have three others and they never stopped me climbing. Used to take them with me and they slept while mummy bouldered or I went with like minded friends and took turns looking after kids/belaying/leading/bouldering. I even got out in winter when granny looked after them (ok difficult for people who live far away or don't have).

maybe it's not the having kids but the just starting teaching which has completely stopped me ever going climbing then. sometimes I can't be sure which.

sg 13 Mar 2006
In reply to JoH:
> (In reply to sg)
>
> Nah, I already have three others and they never stopped me climbing. Used to take them with me and they slept while mummy bouldered or I went with like minded friends and took turns looking after kids/belaying/leading/bouldering. I even got out in winter when granny looked after them (ok difficult for people who live far away or don't have).

maybe it's not the having kids but the just starting teaching which has completely stopped me ever going climbing then. sometimes I can't be sure which. good on those of you who just get out there anyway. living miles from rock and having an other half who's quite glad she'll never have to climb again, now we've got kids, makes it a bit more awkward for me I guess. oh well, in 18 years time it'll all be different I'm sure...

JoH 13 Mar 2006
In reply to Alison Stockwell:

I've never taken the kids abroad climbing but I know what you mean. Have a lovely little bouldering spot a mile down the road from me on the side of a hill where we all go - or I can disappear to when I'm needing a bit of space.
 JoH 13 Mar 2006
In reply to sg:

Oh thats a real shame (seriously) - you do still get out sometimes though?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...