UKC

Cornakey rock falls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Kemball 10 Aug 2020

If you are planning to climb at Cornakey Cliff, you should be aware that there has been significant rockfall. The Plank (HVS 4c) has completly gone, Jo (HVS)Heaven and Hell (HVS 5a)Jolly Roger (VS 4c) and Jolly Hell (HVS 4b) are all incredibly unsafe with massive loose blocks in their middle section - this may not be apparent from the base of the cliff. The star of the crag, Wreckers' Slab (VS 4b) has not been affected, but I would not linger on the approach - look across at what you've just walked under from pitch 2! As far as I know the other climbs are unaffected.

BStar 11 Aug 2020
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Thanks Mark, have you any idea when this happened? I was there on the 1st of August, albeit this was my first visit to the cliff, I noticed a bit of a scar but thought that lined up with the rockfax picture. Is it the section in the photo on the top right hand side? I'd gone there with the knowledge of the cliff being loose so took that as normal...

BStar 11 Aug 2020

Actually on closer inspection I dont thibk the orange scar lines up with the picture in the rockfax app, although they are both at different angles 

Dave Garnett 11 Aug 2020

Bugger.  The Plank was on my bucket list.

Dave 88 11 Aug 2020

Ah a real shame, some lovely long committing rock there. Unfortunately I suppose it was only a matter of time.

OP Mark Kemball 11 Aug 2020
In reply to BStar:

I don't know when it happened, but I first heard of it a couple of weeks ago, but didn't get the details until some mates where there a couple of days ago, I've not seen it myself but have been promised hi res photos - it's a pain - I'll have to re-write that section of the guide and we'll have to re-draw the topos! Look at the top right of your photo, just left of Wreckers, those blocks are just sitting there, not really supported by anything as far as I can see, some of them are the size of a large van or bigger.

BALD EAGLE 11 Aug 2020

Hi Mark I was at Cornakey on Saturday and can send you and t'other Mark some aerials!

Cheers

Dave

OP Mark Kemball 11 Aug 2020
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Thanks Dave, hope you enjoyed Saturday. The aerials would be great.

Cheers.

OP Mark Kemball 13 Aug 2020
In reply to Dave Garnett:

"Reports of my death are greatly exagerated" In fact, it looks like the plank and Jo are still there, but as to what condition they are in?? It could end up being the last route you climb on your bucket list!

Attached a photo from James Mann showing what's happened.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...