UKC

Criticism welcome! Anchors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 01 May 2021

For self belay

Newish blue rope is 8mm Beal. White is 10mm static. 

Post edited at 13:42
OP Flinticus 01 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

What's up with UKC functionality. Timing out, photo size too big, pic not showing when uploaded?

OP Flinticus 01 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Fourth try to get photo on...

Becoming a pain. UKC techies, I'm getting message posted successfully but no photo is displaying.

Post edited at 13:50
In reply to Flinticus:

Sorry you're struggling to upload the image, can you email it to andy@ukclimbing.com and I can look into what's going wrong?

OP Flinticus 01 May 2021
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

Will do. Thanks

This happened with my last photo too. Of a crow. Several failed successful postings. Eventually worked and is in the off-belay forum.

In reply to Flinticus:

Yea something is not right, there is a bug somewhere, but can't seem to tick it down with my own photos!

cheers

OP Flinticus 01 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Try again ...

Worked!

Anyway. Old blue rope: bowline and fixed out of sight to HMS screwgate on metal fence post with a clove hitch backed up by another bowline.

Post edited at 15:42

Luke90 01 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Never mind, I'm sure the UKC masses could come up with some criticism for your anchor without the need to actually see the thing!

elliptic 01 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Why separate knots for the two strands of static? I mean, it's not unsafe but why not just one big figure-eight?

profitofdoom 01 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Your grass needs cutting

lithos 01 May 2021
In reply to elliptic:

each line is totally independent this way, no much extra effort (not sure i would though

not sure what's going on with the light blue rope though

might need an edge protector as the same bits of rope will get wear on loading/unloading

OP Flinticus 02 May 2021
In reply to lithos:

Yes. As self belaying it does provide a rescue / back up line if one strand fails. Extra safety that doesn't take much time.

elliptic 02 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I'm not questioning the second strand per se - often use two myself either for a back up device or just less faff transferring over to abseil.

OP Flinticus 02 May 2021
In reply to lithos:

Yeah. Been aware of my lack of edge protection. 

Of concern wss finding broken glass in that grass afterwards!

OP Flinticus 02 May 2021
In reply to lithos:

Light blue? Is that the bright newer rope that's in coils on the left?

That's gone around two poles and then an overhand to make a main anchor point. As its not a closed sling, the loose ends are either side, with just one loop for the carabiner.

lithos 02 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

yeah that one,  trying to work out if it's a double strand around one object (effective object) or two loops around an object each, just struggling to picture the knot as shown, not a criticism.

Sounds like an ok rig to me, lots of ways to skin a cat...

OP Flinticus 02 May 2021
In reply to lithos:

Two loops around an object each.

Overhand where the loops are pulled together. Seemed simpler than a figure 8. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...