UKC

Finding partners in Margalef

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Aidan Campbell 15 Nov 2022

Hi I’m thinking of heading down to margalef in early spring on my own, and will be staying in the hostel. Does anyone know how easy it is to find partners for climbing? 

racodemisa 17 Nov 2022
In reply to Aidan Campbell:

I have travelled solo to margalef a few times in the last 3-4 years.Its very hit and miss though if you are there at peak holiday periods it can be much better i guess.Often quiet during the week and apart from the hostel only the campground bar (which is now closed most of the day) has been a consistent place to hook up with new partners.Cafe Vernet in the centre of the village is another place perhaps at least at week ends or peak periods otherwise it can be very very quiet there.I would recommend Siurana really the campground in particular is a good meeting point where van dwellers tent dwellers and others all seem to mix as solo travellers or in groups and you will find a partner there more easily i would have thought. 

Post edited at 11:55
 mutt 17 Nov 2022

Contact "the ruin margalef". Contact details on Google and Facebook.  The proprietor Simon Sena is English/Spanish and a top bloke. We will be able to help. If you stay at the guesthouse you won't have to worry about anything else.

racodemisa 17 Nov 2022
In reply to mutt:

Simon sold the Ruin about 5 weeks ago.Its owned by a german climber now as a private residence

Hi, It's Simon here, yes as a matter of fact I did sell the Ruin to a German climber (Jan is his name), but he will still be running it as climber's accommodation. I am giving him a hand with the rentals for the time being. I have moved to Llaberia a fairly unknown climbing area closer to the sea so I can climb and surf in winter.

If you need a hand with anything don't hesitate to contact me.

Cheers

In reply to mutt:

Hi Mutt, Llaberia village is an off-grid venue where I am the sole inhabitant, feel free to drop by.

I find the climbing here quite hard, but great fun.

Cheers 

mutt 20 Nov 2022
In reply to Dago theruinmargalef:

I might just do that Simon

In reply to mutt:

I'll get your room ready and the fire lit.🙂

Carless 23 Nov 2022

Are you the Simon who very many years ago in Montanejos, when the police arrived to clear the campsite, strolled over and said "do you mind if I pretend to be English and in your group?"

In reply to racodemisa:

Cheers thanks for the help, yeah siurana looks really nice too and the climbing style looks something I’d prefer although Margalef looks amazing aswell. Would you say march and April are good months to go to find partners or is that nearing then quieter end of the season?

Thanks a lot, will do

racodemisa 24 Nov 2022

They could be better.Otherwise hard to say.My main point is that the number of social hubs in the village are limited except at busy times If you're based in the refugio there might be people there to climb with.Its not an unfriendly place quite the opposite.Its  just not many places to meet fellow solo travellers.Whereas Siurana camping  seems to collect them.

Have sent you an email

Post edited at 17:57
 mutt 25 Nov 2022

> I'll get your room ready and the fire lit.🙂

Have you got a phone number in your new shack Simon?

ZacMoss 27 Nov 2022

I was solo travelling in Margalef from late March to May this year, I think 50~ days in total and stayed in the campsite in town. There were only a few days I couldn't find partners although I did feel like I massively lucked out as until Easter the campsite was nearly empty and there was only one group looking for another climber, a group of Irish lads who I ended up climbing with for a while. If they hadn't been there I would have struggled and would have likely ended up moving on. Around Easter a lot more people arrived and I managed to find partners until I left although there was a lot of climbing in a three.

joeramsay 28 Nov 2022

What dates will you be there Aidan? I'll be there probably solo 25 Feb to 3 March, also in the hostel 

Post edited at 07:58
In reply to Carless:

True, the same one, I didn't want the civil guards to find out I was Basque.😂

In reply to mutt:

I will send you it by a private message.

Carless 30 Nov 2022

Just checked: 27/12/87 - time definitely moves on!

Will try to look you up next time I'm Margalef way

In reply to Carless:

Please do, I will be in Llaberia or Margalef, I will be happy to join you.

In reply to joeramsay:

I was planning on going for 1-2 months but I was unsure weather to go march and April or February and march, because I’m not sure if April will be too warm and less people to find partners with

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...