UKC

Friends of Irby Quarry?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 19 Feb 2021

Irby Quarry

Hey all,

Is there enough interest in Irby Quarry to get BMC involved or maybe a have a “friends of” ?

Si Witcher 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Removed UserRockOnWirral:

I live locally and i’d join a facebook group but i’ve never got around to actually climbing there.

Removed User 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Si Witcher:Thanks for replying 🙏

would you climb it and maybe garden it?

Si Witcher 20 Feb 2021

I tend to go to the Breck if I want a local session, although Grange Hill at the WK cenotaph is also worth a look. I might come to Irby for an occasional session with the family, but I wouldn't garden it - I don't think it would be worth the effort.

Big Steve 20 Feb 2021

I'd be up for helping out if it needs cleaning and clearing. I haven't climbed at any of the local crags so would be nice to explore and get back into climbing 

cambromo 20 Feb 2021
In reply to Big Steve:

Just had a look at ya profile, your business is pretty close to the soapworks.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/the_soap_works-26116

Big Steve 21 Feb 2021
In reply to cambromo:

I had a look a few months back, all looked wet and a bit green but will look again in the summer

Removed User 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Si Witcher:

I get you dude, I’m setting up a page and we’ll see where it goes, there are quite a few people interested in getting involved in one level or another. 

Obviously lockdown is still a thing but if anyone goes, cut a bit of gorse, brush off a ledge in passing...

Hopefully see you up there one day dude ✌️❤️🙏

Removed User 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Big Steve:

That sounds like a plan waiting to happen, nice one dude!

I’ve not climbed at the Soapworks yet but I’ll get there soon as Irby is clean haha

Removed User 22 Feb 2021
In reply to cambromo:

Hey,

ive not climbed there yet, it’s on todo my list!

Have you ever climbed Irby Quarry?

cambromo 25 Feb 2021

Yeah I've been down here and there, the Breck is closer to me but I've been using Irby to practice ropework and trad placements during lockdown, if you wanna keep in touch drop me a message and we can get something better going. 

The9inger 25 Feb 2021
In reply to cambromo:

From my brief trip to Irby I seem to remember making the conclusion that I its a bit too insecure for trad gear. I think generally all rock within Merseyside is usually welcome in the friends of pex fb page 

Swig 25 Feb 2021
In reply to The9inger:

I've only wandered around the quarry but I wouldn't trust falling on much gear in sandstone that soft. I would expect merely placing and removal gear would create a lot of wear if there was much traffic - I'd guess there isn't much traffic though. 

Neston Climber 25 Feb 2021
In reply to Swig: We tried to keep some fitness on the 'grand girdle traverse' there a few times during lockdown last, even met some others doing the same once! The glass on the floor feels like it adds a few grades. The place could definitely use some TLC. The routes potential on the main face did not look to promising but there are some nice moves to be had low down. We often cycle as we are not sure where is best to park other than in the pub. Would be nice to see if anything more develops and meet some more locals down there. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...