UKC

Grigri rope solo device orientation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cx5201 26 Jan 2023

Hi, I have a question about rope soloing with a Grigri. I noticed that often when people do rope lead solo with a Grigri they have the device oriented backwards, with the lever pointing to their body instead of out, as you would normally have while belaying.

I'm wondering why they do this. I can imagine it's for more comfort, when you fall the rope i further away from you, also when you lower it's easier to pull the lever. However this feels like a petty reason given that you have to drill through the device to do this.

Does anybody please know why this method is preferred?

midgen 26 Jan 2023
In reply to cx5201:

The rope feeds a little easier I believe.

Enty 26 Jan 2023
In reply to cx5201:

Rope feeds easier.
The one in the photo is also modified with a little piece of metal filed away where the rope feeds.

Like you say, it also has the short thread installed to keep it upright which would interfere if it was the other way round.

It just all makes sense to have it this way round.

E

edit, looking closely it hasn't had much, if anything filed off.

Post edited at 12:05
OP cx5201 26 Jan 2023
In reply to cx5201:

Can this maybe also be because he basically simulates chest harness with that? However the carabiner he's using is probably not one rated for any kind of climbing, looks very skinny.

jimtitt 26 Jan 2023
In reply to cx5201:

The neck/shoulder loop should break if you fall badly unless you want to be stopped by it. I use 6mm bungee cord and a key-ring clip.

CantClimbTom 26 Jan 2023
In reply to cx5201:

If you are rope soloing fir the first time, make sure you have some catastrophe knots in the rope in case it doesn't grab, yes they are a pain in the proverbial. I only ever lead rope solo aid so must be really painful free.

Also do something to make sure it can't possibly cross load even when using a maillon/quick link - maybe insulating tape but that's one more faff to redo on the second pitch.

Your first attempt is likely to be slow, ugly and inefficient, so set your sights very low. Stay safe!!

OP cx5201 26 Jan 2023
In reply to jimtitt:

Ah ok so no chest harness simulation.

OP cx5201 26 Jan 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Thanks for all the advice. Making sure the maillon doesn't cross load is good point. It actually did not occur to me that even on the maillon the grigri can slide to the side.

In reply to cx5201:

There is a really good Facebook group on this topic called Lead Rope Solo Climbing. It is run by Yann Camus (Escalade Bliss Climbing) who offers a reputed online training course. 

JIMBO 26 Jan 2023
In reply to cx5201: it feeds quicker and easier in that orientation... the crab and chest harness is just to hold it in the right position and not load bearing... I've not had to modify my gri gri at all... I use a system of other devices on the dead end mounted to the leg loop to help catch the fall and not allow a long slip... these act as the mentioned catastrophe knots.

OP cx5201 26 Jan 2023
In reply to JIMBO:

That sounds interesting, do you maybe have a picture of your system that you could post please?

JIMBO 26 Jan 2023
In reply to cx5201:

don't have a photo to hand but in essence I put an atc and mini traxion or roll n lock on the leg loop to control the dead end

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...