UKC

Heavy weight climbers - what's your best lead fatty?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveAtkinson 27 Jul 2011
I'm not the ideal build for climbing but have lost a few pounds this year which is helping and having started climbing again I think I'm getting close to reaching my maximum physical limit again before needing to train much, much harder.

I was wondering what the best lead (trad/sport/wall) was for the gravitionally challenged. You must be 13 stone (83kg) + to qualify, although it would be useful to consider body mass index.

Apocryphal tales of others accepted.

State

Height----------------6'2"
Weight----------------13 stone 7
Best Trad lead--------E3
Sport/wall------------6c

stonemaster 27 Jul 2011
In reply to DaveAtkinson: Disqualified, although no longer sylph like for years...
 tom290483 27 Jul 2011
In reply to DaveAtkinson:

i reckon john dunne would win hands down on this thread!
no offence meant john
 Seb Lee 27 Jul 2011

Height --------------6'2"
Weight --------------88-90kg
literally depends on what weekend i had (how much kebab/beer I consumed)
Best trad lead ------E2 (head pointed)
Sport outdoors ------3x7a but cant get harder (not that many <15m 7a's)...

i just get pumped...even fell off a 30m F5 and i didnt think i was climbing badly, just couldnt stick the crux hold that pumped.
ice.solo 27 Jul 2011

does it have to be fat? will huge do?

cos i climbed once with a chick whos boyfriend is a body builder weighing 94kg, is 6'4" and is so packed and strung he couldnt touch his hands behind his back.

he came to watch, then after an hour or two 'had a go' with both of us clipped together on belay and in his converse as no shoes fitted him - and busted out a short, overhanging 5.11 purely on strength and grunt!
 stonemaster 27 Jul 2011
In reply to ice.solo: That would have been a sight to behold!
 Cypher 27 Jul 2011
In reply to ice.solo: Jesus, that dude must've been a powerhouse
ice.solo 27 Jul 2011
In reply to stonemaster:

it actually was. we were in a climbing gym in a hillbilly town in japan on a busy weekend and people came from all over to see the huge-mutant-round-eyed-freak climb.
 Stone Muppet 27 Jul 2011
I'm 85kg but with a height of 6'5" that's not actually fat now is it? Gotta look elsewhere for my poor climbing excuses
ice.solo 27 Jul 2011
In reply to Cypher:

i should mention he was an ex-US pararescueman.
 Enty 27 Jul 2011

I like this thread. I always said there should be some sort of weight handicap incorporated into the grading system.

Height - 5'11"

Weight - always between 84 and 89 kilos

Best trad - E5

Best Sport 7B quite a while ago - 7A last week.

E
 Bud Fox 27 Jul 2011

Height---------------- 6'3"
Weight---------------- 17 stone 6
Best Trad lead-------- n/a
Sport/wall------------ 6b+

You'd be surprised how effective brute force can be when you run out of options to use technique. Just ask my partner...
 riddle 27 Jul 2011
In reply to ice.solo: Now that is the dream job!
 Shani 27 Jul 2011

Height----------------about 6'2" 189cm
Weight----------------82kg 180lbs 13stones-ish
Best Trad lead--------E5
Sport/wall------------7b+

Things were easier at the 11.5 stone of my youth!
 agibb 27 Jul 2011

Good thread!

Height: 6'0"
Weight: between 90 and 95kg
Best Trad lead: HVS
Best Sport: 6c (Same indoors and out)

Seeing lots of big E numbers here. I think as well as the muscly and the fat we need a sub-category for those whose weight is mostly in their trousers.
 agibb 27 Jul 2011
In reply to tom290483:

I reckon Toni Lamprecht might do pretty well too.
 Chris the Tall 27 Jul 2011

Height----------------6'4"
Weight----------------14 stone
Best Trad lead--------E3
Sport-----------------6c+
Wall------------------6c+

I'd say my best leads were done when I was half a stone lighter than I am now. Current problem is that I'm doing loads of cycling at the moment so the extra weight is all leg muscle - ok cake is a factor as well !
OP DaveAtkinson 27 Jul 2011
In reply to Shani:

Were you 11.5 when you did the E5 and 7b+?

If not, you are destroying my comfortable belief that I have reached my maximum.
 ChrisHolloway1 27 Jul 2011

Height: 6"2
Weight: 16 stone 10
Best Trad lead: E1 5b
Wall: 6a/6b
 Mike Stretford 27 Jul 2011
In reply to DaveAtkinson: Same as you, sometimes a bit lighter. My climbing has improved as I've put muscle on, and hence got heavier.
 George Fisher 27 Jul 2011

I don't even come close to qualifying for this, I weigh about as much as a bag of crisps and I've had flu/chest infection for 2 weeks now which has got me right down to fighting weight but also weak as a kitten.

Could it be that fatties climb hard because they know if the fall off they'll bounce rather than snap?
 Shani 27 Jul 2011
> (In reply to Shani)
>
> Were you 11.5 when you did the E5 and 7b+?
>
> If not, you are destroying my comfortable belief that I have reached my maximum.

No I was about 12.5 when I did those numbers! Not road tested my new weight on a route for some time.
 Dom Whillans 27 Jul 2011
5'11"
15.5 stone
e2 5b
6c
 RankAmateur 27 Jul 2011
Not much in the way of fatties so far...

Height----- 5'9"
Weight----- 15stone
Best trad lead - Severe
Wall ------- 6b

BMI----- 31.0
 John_Hat 27 Jul 2011

5'8"
13st roughly.
Best Trad onsight lead E4. I was quite a bit heavier back then too. Best Sport lead (redpoint) 7a, (onsight) 6c+.

To be honest I think at the levels I climb it makes no difference. As long as you are reasonably fit then you can climb E5, if you want to and have time to train. Footwork and technique is more important than a few extra pounds. Another half a stone on me is still only a 4% increase, so unlikely to make much difference.
 VS4b 27 Jul 2011
In reply to John_Hat:

Lightweights the lot of you...

I lead:
HS at 21st
VS at 20st,
HVS at 17/18st
 misterb 27 Jul 2011

just about 14 stone
5 foot 9 and a bit
e5 slab
e4 vertical
e3 steep
dont really do sport climbing but 6c+ redpoint in elchorro
i think for heavy people its a question of hand /finger strength limits as every time i try to up my level i get tendon injuries and have to slow down again .also skin when training on steep stuff takes more of a battering in my opinion.flexibility is also a big issue in heavy people as the more flexible you are the closer you can keep your centre of gravity to the rock, i have rubbish flexibility and when high stepping it pushes my fat arse away from the rock and increases the strain on hands leading to sketchy moments where you are pulling at your absolute limit.
 richardh 27 Jul 2011

Height----------------6'3"
Weight----------------14 stone 7
Best Trad lead--------E4
Sport-----------------7b+

Reach>Talent 27 Jul 2011
13 stone 7? Bloody featherweight

Height---------------- 6'8"
Weight---------------- 16 stone
Best Trad lead-------- E2
Sport/wall------------ 7a (Onsight indoors) 6c (onsight outdoors)
 teflonpete 27 Jul 2011

Height - 5'10"

Weight - 85 kg at the moment, fluctuates between 84 kg and 87 kg.

Best Trad lead - E1 5b onsight and worked

Best Sport - 6b+

Best indoor - 6c

Normal climbing grades VS - HVS and 6a - 6b.

Whether I'm a couple of kg up or down doesn't usually make a lot of difference, it's down to where my head is on the day, or maybe I don't climb at anywhere near my real limit due to cowardice and lack of commitment.
tomhine 27 Jul 2011
In reply to Dave
Height----- 6'0"
Weight----- around 19stone 118kg last week in the gym
Best trad lead - never tried it
Sport/Wall ------- 6a

BMI----- 36.1

I'm a former National 3 prop so have always been on the larger side but fit (ish) and strong with it. I'm trying so drop a few pounds at the minute so that I can have a go at pushing my grade a touch at Portland this weekend. We'll see.
 asmith37 27 Jul 2011

Height - 5'11"
Weight - 16 st
Trad - E1 5b o/s
Sport - 6a+ o/s
6b rp
Wall - 6b+ rp

the sheep 27 Jul 2011
In reply to asmith37:

Height - 6'4"
Weight - 17 1/2 st
Trad - Best recent climb HVS 5a (onsight)

Need to lose some weight but also need to climb a lot more.

Toerag 27 Jul 2011
Height----------------6 foot 1 and threequarters 188cm
Weight----------------82kg 180lbs 13stones-ish
Best Trad lead--------E1 5c
Sport/wall------------6c+ RP indoors, haven't tried hard outdoors
and as Shani said,

> Things were easier at the 11.5 stone of my youth!

thomm 27 Jul 2011
Holy smoke, there are some beasts on UKC - I'm taking a few steps back..
 tmather 27 Jul 2011
6 foot 1"
17 1/2 - 18 stone
HVS ish depending on how energetic i feel
But then again i did use to play prop for north wales rugby...
 teflonpete 27 Jul 2011
In reply to thomm:
> Holy smoke, there are some beasts on UKC - I'm taking a few steps back..

Watch it slim, or we'll sit on you :0)
 richardh 27 Jul 2011
In reply to richardh:
> (In reply to DaveAtkinson)
>
> Height----------------6'3"
> Weight----------------14 stone 7
> Best Trad lead--------E4
> Sport-----------------7b+

what I forgot to add was - you're a stone lighter, you should/could be climbing 7c without serious training, but with gradual and sustained build-up so the tendons don't tweak before the muscles.

being short is no excuse, there are intermediate holds, being big is no excuse, you've got longer arms!
 Enty 27 Jul 2011
In reply to madbaza:

>
> just about 14 stone
> 5 foot 9 and a bit
> e5 slab
> e4 vertical
> e3 steep

Pretty much sums me up too. I have to choose my routes - I onsighted a 7a+ euroslab last year - fell off a steep 6b+ the same day.

Many years ago I onsighted Flashdance and Poetry Pink in the same weekend I fell off Left Wall.

It's in the feet and the head - avoid monkey climbs like the plague.

E
 nowler 27 Jul 2011

Height: 6'
Weight: 15st 7lbs
Best Trad lead: HVS 5a
Sport/wall: 6b

seems like there's hope for me yet with some of the replies.

great thread, well done!
 Ian Patterson 27 Jul 2011
In reply to nowler:

Entertaining thread but definitely needs to be BMI based, guys who are 6'2'' and 13 stone don't count as big. I'm 6' and just under 12 stone and would consider myself in relatively decent nick for climbing weight wise. OK the male anorexia show that can be Malham / Kilnsey may make me feel that I could lose a few pounds but I'm miles away from being big.
 thin bob 27 Jul 2011
In reply to agibb:
>
> Good thread!
>
> Height: 6'0"
> Weight: between 90 and 95kg
> Best Trad lead: HVS
> Best Sport: 6c (Same indoors and out)
>
> Seeing lots of big E numbers here. I think as well as the muscly and the fat we need a sub-category for those whose weight is mostly in their trousers.

agreed "weight is mostly in their trousers." ; i find it scary too!!
i'm a whole 1/2" taller, but trad about 3 grades less. Moss freaks me

Great to see people overcoming gravity with skill. Go go, the Sir Mixalot Krew!
 Pekkie 27 Jul 2011
In reply to thomm:
> 'Holy smoke, there are some beasts on UKC - I'm taking a few steps back..'

You ain't kidding! You'd welcome them at your back in a pub brawl but you wouldn't want to belay them would you? Before you ask, I'm 12.5 stone and just over 6'. A stone over my fighting weight and kicking/pulling off holds at Frogsmouth. A venue from which every man jack of you is banned.

I notice that Chris Craggs hasn't replied to this post yet.....
 bobstones 27 Jul 2011

Like this thread as im still pretty new to climbing (can count my outdoor escapades on both hands and been indoors for 10 months) its interesting to see what others think. I'm an ex-rugby player and have shed 2 stone since quitting to concentrate on climbing but still think my weight/size is a hinderence. My stats are

Height.........6'4"
Weight.........16st
Best Trad Lead...S (only done 1!)
Sport/wall......6a

Im strong enough and class myself as fit not fat but just dont have the finger/forearm strength to hold the bulk on and im pumped within minutes.

Good to see there's plenty of big guys climbing good grades so i'll just keep slogging away and hopefully keep improving.
 TobyA 28 Jul 2011
In reply to madbaza:

> i think for heavy people its a question of hand /finger strength limits as every time i try to up my level i get tendon injuries and have to slow down again .

I'm just under 5'10" and weigh around 80 kg (12 stone 9 I think), 6b+ and about E1/E2, but that's without much training, just plenty of climbing over a long time. Like you I'm rubbish as soon as it gets passed vertical, but for me I find its arm/shoulder strength that limits me, I can barely do a couple of pull ups on bar for example. Finger strength seems OK.
 TobyA 28 Jul 2011
In reply to bobstones:

> Height.........6'4"

You should have a pretty huge reach advantage over some of us average-to-shorties, let alone over most women! So when you just grab the next jug we can't reach, remember the weights not always a disadvantage!
 rockjedi12345 28 Jul 2011
In reply to TobyA:

5'10'' and 14.5 stone at my best have led E1-E2 no training just climbig

Currently 15 stone and when im in a bad mood have led E1 this year
 bobstones 28 Jul 2011
In reply to TobyA:

I can't argue with that Toby, sometimes my more vertically challenged friends will struggle on a route and i'll just reach up and blitz it but it does also work the other way round particularly in the gym/indoors.

The height doesn't affect me too much as im pretty flexible and can squeeze into some tight spaces its more the finger/forearm strength issue but thats all part of the challenge. When i've been struggling on a route to then overcome and feel stronger its all part of the buzz for me anyway.
 girlymonkey 28 Jul 2011
All the heavyweights on here seem to be tall with it, so I don't think that really counts!!
A few years ago I was 13stone, but I'm a shorty at 5 foot.
In those days I lead HS, and 6a indoors.
I have now slimmed down to 8 stone, and climb much better!
 Shani 28 Jul 2011
In reply to girlymonkey:
> All the heavyweights on here seem to be tall with it, so I don't think that really counts!!
> A few years ago I was 13stone, but I'm a shorty at 5 foot.
> In those days I lead HS, and 6a indoors.
> I have now slimmed down to 8 stone, and climb much better!

I can think of several grit routes that require painful 'pebble pulling'. Now height may give an advantage in climbing but I don't think pain tolerance/sensitivity scales with height, thus it is that hanging 13st+ off a sharp pebble is way more painful than hanging 9st off the same.

I understand that the heavier climber may well find it both acceptable and necessary to 'comfortise' such features.
 andi turner 28 Jul 2011

Great thread! The amount of times I've heard "must be easy for you being tall" coming from someone 4" shorter but 4 stone lighter!

Height----------------6'2"
Weight----------------13 stone 7
Best Trad lead--------E7
Sport/wall------------8a

Enty 28 Jul 2011
In reply to andi turner:

Good stuff - did you climb 8a when you were 13 stone 7?
The way I'm getting spat off 7a+'s and 7b's I cant imagine ever pulling on to an 8a.

E
 girlymonkey 28 Jul 2011
In reply to andi turner:
>
> Great thread! The amount of times I've heard "must be easy for you being tall" coming from someone 4" shorter but 4 stone lighter!

Sorry, didn't clarify my point so well. The question was posed to fatties, but if you are over 6' and 13stone then you are not really all that fat. I refuse to use the shortness as an excuse - you are never too short, just not inventive enough (or bendy enough!).
In reply to andi turner: The thing is that with height comes weight. Extra height is useful less often than people think but does at times give a distinct advantage. Lack of weight however is advantageous 100% of the time.

I think it may have been Joe Brown who said "if you can't reach a hold there is another way to do it". Wise words even if not strictly true these days.

Al
 full stottie 28 Jul 2011
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

Was it Brown or Whillans who when asked how did he reach the holds, him being so short, said "I climb up to them"?

If only it were that simple......

An overweight shortarse.

bouldery bits 28 Jul 2011

5'10
13 stone
F7c+

I think those stats are ok.
I like to think it's mostly muscle.

But it's not.
 John_Hat 28 Jul 2011
In reply to John_Hat:
>
> 5'8"
> 13st roughly.
> Best Trad onsight lead E4. I was quite a bit heavier back then too. Best Sport lead (redpoint) 7a, (onsight) 6c+.
>

D'oh. For 5'8 read 5'10. Not a great difference in height but it does wonders for BMI.

Interestingly, the heaviest person I ever belayed was 25st at about 6'2" and I belayed him up a VS which he cruised. Which is just as well as if he fell off I'd have been in orbit. In fairness, he was a big lad in all directions, and not a lot of it was fat...
 andi turner 28 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: Absolutely. I've been this weight for years. Although I lost 8lb in 10 days by cutting out beer for those 10 days earlier on this year, just to see if I could. Incidently, in those 10 days I climbed no better, I was just a bit more bored.
 andi turner 28 Jul 2011
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:
> (In reply to andi turner) The thing is that with height comes weight. Extra height is useful less often than people think but does at times give a distinct advantage. Lack of weight however is advantageous 100% of the time.
>
> I think it may have been Joe Brown who said "if you can't reach a hold there is another way to do it". Wise words even if not strictly true these days.
>
> Al

And, was it Lynn Hill who said "there's no excuse for a lack of reach, only a lack of power". You only need to look at the world's best climbers, they're predominantly small and light.

mloskot 29 Jul 2011
In reply to andi turner:
> Weight----------------13 stone 7

Andi,I reckon it's you on this picture, right?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30536520@N02/3772228953/

Same weight as mentioned above, right?
The right angle is impressive, I must say. Can you drop a few secrets of your training for that lock off?

Cheers,
Mat (similar weight, but 9cm shorter, thus a bit stockier, by muscle, certainly )
 mark s 29 Jul 2011
In reply to DaveAtkinson: 6' 2"
15 stone 2lb
E8
7c+

Although I was 13 and a little when did hard stuff.I could still get up the hard slabs.
Me and andi laugh at people now when they come out with the crap of its ok for you being tall.
 andi turner 29 Jul 2011
In reply to mloskot:

Hi Mat. Yeah, that's me and that was my weight (give or take a pound or two, scales have always been something I've found in other people's bathrooms).

Training....I haven't got a clue I'm afraid, although I'm sure there's loads of stuff if you search. The only use I've ever found for one arm lock offs is for doing pictures like that one

Shaz, you're scaring me now... 15st 2lb! Keep off my projects, you hear! You're officially on a pebble ban (excl. Churnet)

nniff 29 Jul 2011

I have a new cunning plan for upping my grade - wait for one of these monsters to do it first, and then jump on it quick - the holds will have been crushed closer together and the whole route pounded into the ground a bit.

Maybe
OP DaveAtkinson 29 Jul 2011
In reply to mloskot:

I think Andi has been rumbled. Either that or he needs a new set of bathroom scales.

Classic clip from the Not the Nine O'clock news on the issue.

youtube.com/watch?v=8kcYv2L3cx8&

andi turner 29 Jul 2011
> (In reply to mloskot)
>
> I think Andi has been rumbled. Either that or he needs a new set of bathroom scales.
>

Not a chance! You're not taking that 'excuse' away from me, you'd soon become acutely aware of my weight if you were spotting me (as I get higher, I see the spotters shuffle off).

I admit, I look slender on that pic, but then this one was taken about 8 weeks later: http://www.flickr.com/photos/readza/3934746409/ that's a heavy hippy with a big reach. Although no doubt that's been photoshopped as well as my scales not working and my tape measure being wonky

_sllab_ 29 Jul 2011

at your height 6'2"

your weight makes you a beanpole
 mloskot 29 Jul 2011
In reply to andi turner: Thanks Andi, your climbing achievements boost up my motivation

I always used other people's scales, but recently I've got my own cheap one from Ikea...now, been on diet & training 4-5 per week for months and wondering why I can't see the red hand on the scale moving left for a tiny bit...squeezing my skin around belly...I feel pure muscles. I clearly need to figure out how to loose genetics-triggered weight
 Mr Fuller 29 Jul 2011
In reply to DaveAtkinson: I now realise what's wrong with my climbing. I don't weigh enough. A strict diet of pies and beer will be put into action immediately.
 hun 29 Jul 2011
5'10"
14st and a bit
trad on sight: E3
Headpoint: E5
Sport: 7b long ago
 andi turner 29 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr Fuller: That's the spirit. And what better day to start it on than Friday, fish and chips twice and a gallon of beer.
 Ad Shaw 29 Jul 2011
Height 6 foot
Weight 14 stone
Best Trad Lead HS (only been doing trad this year though)
Sport/Wall...6b

Was 15 stone and recently lost a stone and is helping me with my climbing. Also play rugby so was more into weights but have since stopped doing them and just climb now. Still playing rugby this season though.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 Jul 2011

I led a few E5 routes at 14 1/2 and the odd one at 15 stone. That was long ago, I was stronger then!

Chris

6' 3"
 Dave Garnett 29 Jul 2011
In reply to andi turner:
>
> Great thread! The amount of times I've heard "must be easy for you being tall" coming from someone 4" shorter but 4 stone lighter!
>
> Height----------------6'2"
> Weight----------------13 stone 7
> Best Trad lead--------E7
> Sport/wall------------8a

That'll be 7" shorter but only 3 stone lighter in my case, so you have the reach and the power-to-weight advantage!
The Scarlet Pimpernel 29 Jul 2011

>
> Height----------------6'1"
> Weight----------------15 stone 4
> Best Trad lead--------E2
> Sport/wall------------6c

Skyfall 02 Aug 2011
Height - 6ft 0" (hefty -ve ape index)
Weight - 13st, 3lb
Best trad o/s - E2 slab, E1 steepish
Best sports o/s - 6b+ (tech walls)

I'm no heavy weight now but about 10 years ago I was a fair bit lighter, around 12st. Most of the difference is muscle but some down to cake and beer My sports grade has moved up since then so I don't think it's a weight thing. I could certainly do with losing a few pounds but doubt it would make much of a difference in reality. I seem to get injured less now that I don't try to starve myself to keep the weight off.
 jameshiggins 02 Aug 2011
In reply to tom290483:
>
> i reckon john dunne would win hands down on this thread!
> no offence meant john

I think I remember JD soloing Wellington Crack at Ilkley when he was mid to late 14 stone. I think his weight fluctuated wildly depending on whether he was in full training mode or not.

Jim
 Ben Thorne 02 Aug 2011

5'8"
13.5stone
7a+

13 stone is pretty much 'featherweight' in my opinion. I've not been under that since I was about 18!

Climbed up to 7a+ at around 13.5-14 stone but training lots and very fit. Still climbing about 6c at 15 stone but loss of fitness and tipping over the 15 mark sent my grade down below 6a.

Back to 13.5 stone after 7 months of hard gym work and 1000 miles walked to work and back.
34" waist, 42" chest, wear small or medium clothes. Never been huge or even 'fat' but always been heavy.
 mark s 02 Aug 2011
In reply to Ben Thorne: I was 13 1/4 st at the end of march when the baby was born,due to time constraints and not wanting to be away from rach and baby all weekend and every night.I hit the gym.I've put on 2 stone.its costing more than I expected,all the extra food and all the differant supplements.even my mum is starting to nag at me saying I'm getting too big.when I have had chance to climb I can feel the weight differance.even though my strength has gone through the roof.my fingers aint used to it.I think my limestone days are done,even though I was never a big fan of the white stuff.
John Dunne 02 Aug 2011
In reply to jameshiggins: Good to see some heavy weight action.

I was between 12.10 to 13.5 stone when i soloed Wellington on a regular basis.
 mloskot 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Ben Thorne:
> Never been huge or even 'fat' but always been heavy.

Nicely said, I like it.

I'm 32" waist. Chest, no idea. Rest of details above.
 jameshiggins 03 Aug 2011
In reply to J Dunne:
> (In reply to jameshiggins)
>
> I was between 12.10 to 13.5 stone when i soloed Wellington on a regular basis.

Ah not nearly heavy enough, I guess you're now disqualified from this thread!

Hope business is treating you well John. Time for you to open a wall up here in Inverness

Jim
 Shani 03 Aug 2011
In reply to jameshiggins:
> (In reply to J Dunne)
> [...]
>
> Ah not nearly heavy enough, I guess you're now disqualified from this thread!
>

I was thinking the same thing!

@John - so when you were crushing the 8's on limestone, were you doing that at over 13 stone, or did you lean-up for certain projects/grades?
 oakapple 03 Aug 2011

Height 6',4"
Weight 14.5 Stone
Best Trad lead E5
Sport 7b+
Boulder 7b+

My advice for all heavy weight climbers. Hang and stretch lots, climb fast and rest well.
 The Ivanator 03 Aug 2011
In reply to DaveAtkinson: Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 15 stone 12 lbs
Best Trad Lead (clean onsight): HVS 5a
Best Sport lead (outdoor, clean onsight): 6a
Best onsight Indoor lead: 6a+
Best Trad onsight second: E2 5c
Best Bouldering grade (worked): V3
I am broad and chunky rather than lardy, steep stuff is always pretty hard work. I climb fairly regularly (and need to) to stay on top of leading VS trad. Have ambitions to shed a stone and a half and lead E1, but as it isn't really happening I have to accept that maybe I'm just not prepared to make the sacrifices in other areas of my life that might facilitate this.
I may be excommunicated from the UKC colony for this admission that climbing may not be the only important thing in life, but it is a risk I can live with!
Anonymous 03 Aug 2011
In reply to jameshiggins:

Think your a bit harsh there as he's at least 15+ stone at the mo and appears to be spreading out even more as the main pie eating season approaches.!!!!
 CurlyStevo 03 Aug 2011
I'm 6ft and I've lead winter grade V weighing in at 15.5 stone and seconded grade VII
 CurlyStevo 05 Aug 2011
In reply to andi turner:
> [...]
>
> Not a chance! You're not taking that 'excuse' away from me, you'd soon become acutely aware of my weight if you were spotting me (as I get higher, I see the spotters shuffle off).
>
> I admit, I look slender on that pic, but then this one was taken about 8 weeks later: http://www.flickr.com/photos/readza/3934746409/ that's a heavy hippy with a big reach. Although no doubt that's been photoshopped as well as my scales not working and my tape measure being wonky

Sorry but you are completely disqualified! End of - your fat is smaller than most heavier climbers skinny! Quit yr whinging!
 andi turner 05 Aug 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo: Come on! It's heavyweight climbers that're being scrutinised here, the rules were 'over 13 stone'. You can't disqualify me on that basis.
 CurlyStevo 05 Aug 2011
Personally I'd disqualfiy anyone from the thread who is not abov 'mormal' BMI when they made the quoted lead! Harsh but... unfair! I think the OP is also out of the running! :-/
 CurlyStevo 05 Aug 2011
In reply to andi turner: heavy weight in the climbing sense is surely a measurement on compraritve height vs build vs weight, I can say categorically in that picutre you are no where near heavyweight and a few weeks is not gonna change that!
 andi turner 05 Aug 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo: 13.5 stone at 6'2" is on the cusp of the BMI 'overweight', I reckon OP and me are still in.
 CurlyStevo 05 Aug 2011
In reply to andi turner: for yr height - 13 st 13 pounds is roughly the max 'normal' BMI for a more built person therefore your are disqualified sorry please refer to the thread for normal build climbers (harsh but fair)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...