UKC

Horseshoe Quarry Parking - Seriously!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Was up at Horseshoe yesterday and feel that some folk need to get their act together re. the parking... I know people are desperate to get out but some folk are just taking the piss! 

FYI:

There's parking for aproximately 12 cars (if there are vans then this will of course be less)... There's a turning circle at the end which should be kept clear - both sides... Be considerate and ensure there's enough space so cars can get through - the gap closes towards the turning circle... If it's crowded then there are 3 lay-bys further up the road - I know the walk isn't nice so if it's rammed drop your stuff and partner off first so only one of you need do the walk (especially important for those with kids I guess!)....

Yesterday was terrible and I'm surprised that there wasn't someone wandering around asking people to move cars so they could get out - one Micra was completely blocking access to the turning circle, a transporter was parked on the RHS of the turning circle and another car was on the LHS leaving only one car's width to turn - not cool!... I don't think it's right to get into naming and shaming but FFS if you're going to climb at Horseshoe please be a bit considerate...

Sorry for the rant but Horseshoe's a great resource and just because much of it's owned by the BMC doesn't mean that you can just forgoe the considerations that you'd have at crags with more problematic access issues! 

TobyA 30 Mar 2021
In reply to Duncan Disorderly:

To honest it's been rather like that regularly over the last 10 months. There was no parking in main spot when I popped in a few weeks ago on a Saturday. Now the lockdown has been semi lifted I suspect it will be really busy for the next few months. I don't think you can go to Darlton currently either as an alternative - what with Mr Cruise's promised arrival.

I climbed on Golden Wall sort of at Horsethief the other week. That could do with some more traffic to clean it up a bit!

In reply to TobyA:

I know what you mean... Yesterday was the worst I've seen though (or worst I can remember anyways)... There's plenty of other venues around the area (even with the filming) so hopefully people will spread out. Horseshoe can take the numbers tho (within reason) and has ample parking on the road so as long as people refrain from such blatant f*ckwittery it should be okay... Having said that, that wall at Horsethief's is pretty good, might have to pay a visit again  

robert-hutton 30 Mar 2021

Loads of cars today, but in the quarry not very busy at all, had the pick on the main wall few party's up the top in fact quite, doesn't make sense unless they go to the South bay area.

TobyA 30 Mar 2021
In reply to robert-hutton:

I think because of the parking you do get people going for a walk, taking the dog for a walk and so on. I'm sure the majority of cars are from climbers, but not all of them. Also because of not sharing lifts you get the silly situation where a group of 4 people meeting up to climb should technically arrive in 4 separate cars. The partner I've climbed with a lot the last year literally drives past my house on her way into the Peak, of course any normal year it would have made sense for me to jump in and get a ride with her or for her to leave her car at mine and go on in my car, but of course last summer a few times we driven in near convoy over to Stoney and then parked next to each other! Really annoying, hopefully as more of us get vaccinated and prevalence goes down, we'll be able to ride share again.

Stoney Boy 30 Mar 2021

Couple of new routes in Horse Thief that need some traffic...

turtlespit 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Stoney Boy:

Ah, the old "will clean up with traffic" phrase... code words for "not very good"

johncook 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Stoney Boy:

If they were any good they would get traffic. Have done both, and not impressed!

TobyA 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Stoney Boy:

> Couple of new routes in Horse Thief that need some traffic...

Where are the new ones? Didn't notice anything new when I was there a few weeks back and the lines were pretty well packed in anyway. 

johncook 31 Mar 2021
In reply to TobyA:

I assume that they are the two (there are about 5 sets of anchors above these so I assumed they had been put up for top roping beginners) to the left of Thief on a Hot Tin Roof, or maybe the utterly pointless variation T'in arete!

Stoney Boy 31 Mar 2021
In reply to johncook:

You assumed incorrectly John. I think they maybe too hard for you anyway? 

Seymore Butt 31 Mar 2021
 Sean Kelly 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Seymore Butt:

There's busing them in!!!

TobyA 31 Mar 2021
In reply to johncook:

> I assume that they are the two (there are about 5 sets of anchors above these so I assumed they had been put up for top roping beginners) to the left of Thief on a Hot Tin Roof,

It think those anchors (and maybe one or two bolts in low down?) were there last year but I couldn't really work out what the concept was. There's a bolt down low then nothing for a long way to a modern anchor from what I remember. If it was for top roping, I'm not sure what the low bolts are for?

I wandered round that corner a bit last time I was there, there's more rock there. I'm sort of surprised there aren't any routes there. They wouldn't be brilliant natural line really, but if you can find a 4 or 5 line, not being brilliant climbs doesn't stop them from being really popular!

johncook 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Stoney Boy:

Where are they then? Or are they secret? 

They may be hard for me but I do try! (Looked at you profile and you seem about the same grade as me so maybe they are too hard for you as well!) I gave up completing my list of climbs on here years ago.

If they are new I would like to try them as I have done everything else there.

Post edited at 23:04
 Donotello 31 Mar 2021

> There's plenty of other venues around the area (even with the filming) so hopefully people will spread out. 

Ah the old going to the beach and complaining that everyone’s at the beach line. So British! 

In reply to TobyA:

> It think those anchors (and maybe one or two bolts in low down?) were there last year but I couldn't really work out what the concept was. There's a bolt down low then nothing for a long way to a modern anchor from what I remember. If it was for top roping, I'm not sure what the low bolts are for?

They were placed by a caver for teaching rope techniques apparently. 

stp 01 Apr 2021
In reply to turtlespit:

> Ah, the old "will clean up with traffic" phrase... code words for "not very good"

It's not unusual for quarried Peak limestone to need traffic to clean it up. Routes that have dodgy rock at first can clean up to be good popular routes. Examples include Masson Lees and in fact much of Horseshoe. The Toilet area, once considered too bad to ever be climbed on, is now one of the most popular crags in the Peak District.

neilh 01 Apr 2021
In reply to stp:

And still lives upto its name..its a " s###th##e". The only decent area in Horseshore is the main wall.

In reply to Donotello:

> Ah the old going to the beach and complaining that everyone’s at the beach line. So British! 

Hardly...

More like going to a busy beach, seeing that some folk are being inconsiderate and posting on a public beachgoers forum in the vain hope that future beachgoers will be a little more considerate...

But if you wanna cite tired stereotypes or just be argumentative then be my guest!

spenser 01 Apr 2021
In reply to stp:

The best thing to be done with the toilet area would be if they recommenced active quarrying of it...

Donotello 01 Apr 2021

That’s not even the part I quoted, I quoted the part where he was saying people should spread out. 

Like I said, it’s like going to a beach and wishing people would go to other beaches, if it annoys you that they don’, then why aren’t you the one going to these other places on days when they’ll obviously be busy?

Anyone in Bristol with sense would avoid Windcliff quarry on a sunny weekend, we wouldn’t go there and then go online and say how we wish people would spread out.  

Post edited at 14:19
 joem 01 Apr 2021
In reply to spenser:

This nearly made me spit tea all over my keyboard 

Stoney Boy 01 Apr 2021
In reply to johncook:

Up the path towards Horseshoe on the Lefrack buttress and one above Golden wall. Technically West Stoney but you walk past Horse Thief (The back way into HSQ) 

TobyA 01 Apr 2021
In reply to Stoney Boy:

> Up the path towards Horseshoe on the Lefrack buttress and one above Golden wall.

These must be the buttresses Sarah and I were looking at when we were climbing on Golden Wall a couple of weeks ago. Are the trad lines worth a look? The sports routes are maybe a touch to hard for me!

> Technically West Stoney but you walk past Horse Thief (The back way into HSQ) 

I'm trying to think where the path must go - is it up the hill from the road and into fields at the top above HSQ? We walked to Golden Wall out of the right end of HTQ and into the woods, and then stumbled about a few hundred metres IIRC to get Golden Wall, but crossed a path going up the hill a bit before we got to GW if I remember right.

Mike Stretford 01 Apr 2021
In reply to Donotello:

> Anyone in Bristol with sense would avoid Windcliff quarry on a sunny weekend, we wouldn’t go there and then go online and say how we wish people would spread out.  

It's a parking issue, me lover. I agree with the OP, if you get there and the parking is full, don't do something stupid parking wise (which can be seen even when driving past to other crags).... go to one of the other decent venues nearby.

Post edited at 15:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...