UKC

Inn Pinn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 scon 13 May 2022

I'm making on ascent of Inn Pinn in about two weeks time.  Just wondering how light I can make my rack (it's along walk in).

Any thoughts welcome

subtle 13 May 2022
In reply to scon:

Its not that long a walk.

Its easy to solo and then ab off the other side, a fixed insitu wire means you will only need an ab rope.

That would make your rack light (lighter would be to downclimb the scramble up but its normally busy so would annoy folk, carrying an ab rope is the best way to go)

Have fun, hope you get the weather for it  - and there can still be midges on the ridge 

In reply to scon:

Depends on confidence, we did it as part of a day on the ridge. I think I placed 3 wires in the first pitch and we just soloed from there. 40m rope was ideal for the climb and the abseil. wouldn't bother with cams.

would be fine to solo if confident and the route was quiet, but if its a nice day you'll likely have people in front and behind to be aware of. 

In reply to paul_the_northerner:

Judging by the volume of questions about Skye on ukc over the past few weeks it's going to be absolutely heaving.

Michael Gordon 13 May 2022
In reply to scon:

> Any thoughts welcome

If you're shortening it then it will be 'In Pinn'

BruceM 13 May 2022
In reply to scon:

I did it for the first time in ages last week.  Usually too many people when I pass by so just skip it (An Stack is same amount of fun and no crowds).

So if you are roping it but pretty confident, you can move together (or pitch) with a couple of long slings (and poss a nut if you wanted) up to about 20-30 m where people belay.

Then a couple of mid nuts/hex, maybe another sling before you get to the natural protection of passing through a big slit near the abseil.

For those kinds of ridge scrambles I generally take 4,6,8 rocks and green and/or yellow hexcentric and long slings and sometimes a green camalot.  Mostly just use a sling or one nut.

It felt more solid and less slippery than I used to think but was in awesome conditions.

Have fun.  Don't just walk in to do that.  Do some of the main ridge as well

Rick Graham 13 May 2022
In reply to scon:

> I'm making on ascent of Inn Pinn in about two weeks time.  Just wondering how light I can make my rack (it's along walk in).

> Any thoughts welcome

Best start queuing now then

It was heaving when we got there so climbed a route ( might have been graded Vdiff ) on the side to by pass the masses. Steady away , no polish, easier than TD gap in boots.

Half  set of even sized wires and a few draws ( or even better nuts on dynema cord and single krab ) does not weigh much compared to 40m of rope, especially split between two.

Post edited at 15:24
OP scon 13 May 2022
In reply to scon:

Thanks everyone.  Just to be clear I wasn't thinking about doing the summit ridge scramble but was eyeing up South Crack or any other route up to VS grade.

Andy Moles 14 May 2022
In reply to scon:

If it's a nice day, a useful consideration for avoiding the queues is to go either very early or very late. Don't just start walking in at 9 like everyone else.

On those days it often stays busy well into the afternoon, as guided Munro bagging parties who have done Sgurr Mhic Coinnich first arrive.

Also worth reiterating that the etiquette is to allow fast-moving traverse parties to pass.

Graeme G 14 May 2022
In reply to Andy Moles:

> Also worth reiterating that the etiquette is to allow fast-moving traverse parties to pass.

Do traverse parties do the Inaccessible Pinnacle? I thought they bypassed it, like Sgurr Alasdair or An Stac. 

ExiledScot 14 May 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

Ethics, can't really claim a tick if all you do is dodge summits! There is debate about say King's chimney and going around the easier line but you still do the summit which is key. I don't think you can claim a ridge tick if you aren't doing In Pinn etc.

Wainers44 14 May 2022
In reply to scon:

If soloing look out for the guy who claims to own all the fixed gear and will push on past you wherever you are

ERNIESHACK 16 May 2022
In reply to scon:

I hope you get a good day, anything with a sea view is always more special in my opinion.

I would advise an early start, I set off at 0500 and went via An Stac, great scrambling and no protection used. We beat all the guides there and were first up, but it was very busy afterwards.

If it helps, it was my first lead and I used 2 x 120 slings, but I felt they were honestly not needed as the first pitch is a breeze and is well protected, so you get most things in from the very lightest of racks.

Take a 240 for the belay and as others have said a mix of med nuts and cams. The second pitch is again straightforward, but much more narrow and exposed.

Rather than a slog back the same way, the ridge along to Banadaich is very enjoyable and never too exposed on the left and you'd make a nice circuit of the 2 munro's and the scramble of An Stac. Good luck old bean.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...