UKC

Lakes Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chubbs 30 Jul 2020

I’m planning on heading to the Lakes this weekend. Has anyone with local knowledge got any idea how dry the higher crags are likely to be. Specifically Pillar or Scafell. I think there’s a bit of rain forecast but also forecast to be hot. It would be a long walk to find out everything is sipping wet! 

raussmf 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Chubbs:

Having just got back from a weekend if you get rained fof give st bees a go. Was bone dry all weekend while inland crags 30mins away were soacked.

Jon Read 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Chubbs:

If it helps, on the southern side of the Lakes it was very very rainy and only very rainy on Tuesday, at sea level. 

joe.91 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Jon Read:

Rained today in Kendal and on Tuesday, wouldn't bother going up high except quick drying crags like Napes/Kern Knotts/Esk Buttress. Pillar and Scafell will most likely be wet. 

ebdon 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Chubbs:

This summer has reminded me that some lakes crags come in to good winter conditions as often as summer ones.

I.e seemingly never.😪

joe.91 30 Jul 2020
In reply to ebdon:

All the crags in the Lakes have been in condition this year. It just happened before lockdown was lifted. 

Mark Eddy 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Chubbs:

Monday was very heavy rain in the Central Lakes. Tuesday morning also wet. Today was a wet morning, now bright in Ambleside (and so is Langdale).

Pillar and Scafell will likely be pretty damp for a few days.

Pikes crag (on Scafell Pike) will dry much quicker, if you're wanting the really high crags. Otherwise go for S / SW facing crags. Gimmer springs to mind.

HTH

ebdon 30 Jul 2020
In reply to joe.91:

Yes quite right, I got very excited after lockdown looking at the log books at loads of obscure classics that never normally get done thinking yay! Loads of routes are clean let's get on them only to have the great British summer give me a big slap in the face.

In reply to Chubbs:

It stopped raining in the west lakes earlier this aft, it is now quite warm. West face of Pillar likely to be OK tomorrow aft/evening. Scafell less likely but an evening gamble to catch it when the sun hits may pay off. 

mick taylor 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Chubbs:

Just a thought:  August is in (just about) the grouping of '6 wettest months' for Ambleside and Keswick.  May and June best months for the higher crags.  August is significantly wetter than February and March.

OP Chubbs 30 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Perfect, thanks for all the feedback. I’ll amend plans. I think lockdown has unfortunately taken the best of conditions so far this year! 

Billhook 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Chubbs:

Wouldn't it best waiting until Friday?  

The British weather, particularly the west is quite changeable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...