UKC

Livesey and Barber climbing dream liberator

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 oakapple 09 Apr 2009
Just found some classic footage of Pete Livesey and Henry Barber climbing dream liberator in the great zawn at bosigran.

youtube.com/watch?v=AAm10A3QFBo&

Shows how much they both loved their climbing and pushed the limits of the day. But there does seem to have been a bit of a niggle between the two!!
 sjminfife 09 Apr 2009
In reply to oakapple:
Excellent.Trad footwear and a fine selection of "nuts" threaded through assorted coloured ropes and tapes.Not a lot of branded clothing........
How on earth did they climb so well?
sjm
 Monk 09 Apr 2009
In reply to oakapple:

That was a brilliant film. Thanks for finding it!

John2 09 Apr 2009
In reply to oakapple: Superb. Livesy was wearing one red sock and one blue sock inside his EBs!
 Hat Dude 09 Apr 2009
In reply to oakapple:
Good stuff - Link should be posted as an answer to any post to recommend rockshoes & if you need socks - the answer is EBs with thick wooly socks, (must be red); see also Ron on Lord of the Flies.
Sam L 09 Apr 2009
In reply to oakapple: Wicked video, really funny listening to their commentary!
 Bob Kemp 09 Apr 2009
In reply to oakapple:
The tensions involved are humorously described in the Dream/Liberator piece that Livesey wrote for Extreme Rock: "Hots was furious - never before had he climbed with one so lacking in ethics and money as me."
In reply to oakapple: Good old uncle Pete
brian cropper 09 Apr 2009
In reply to oakapple: thank you for finding this wonderfull
 Tyler 09 Apr 2009
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Great film and that chapter in Extreme Rock is the best n the whole book by miles.
In reply to oakapple: there was. we had hot henry v cool livesey
 pigeonjim 09 Apr 2009
In reply to oakapple:
That is very very funny.
Great clip.
Anonymous 09 Apr 2009
In reply to oakapple: another great clip with Al Harris and Henry Barber on Dream:
youtube.com/watch?v=0MzENqrxt6M&
check out the old skool belaying!
 Bob Kemp 09 Apr 2009
In reply to Tyler:
It's certainly one of the few pieces that sticks in my head.
 sjminfife 09 Apr 2009
In reply to Anonymous:
Just the belaying??
Brilliant..I was gripped watching it.
sjm
In reply to Anonymous:

Can't see here at work so what's with the belaying?

ALC
 Al Evans 09 Apr 2009
In reply to sjminfife: Also, notice, wearing socks.
 Mick Ward 09 Apr 2009
In reply to oakapple:

How strange to hear those flat Northern vowels again, after all these years. A torrent of emotions...

Thank you.

Mick
 sjminfife 09 Apr 2009
In reply to Al Evans: I still do! But there again I have 3 MOAC's that I regularly place. sjm
In reply to sjminfife: they where both very good at what they did and olso america. v. g.b.
 Al Evans 09 Apr 2009
In reply to sjminfife: So do I sox is where its at, see other thread.
Kipper 09 Apr 2009
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to oakapple) another great clip with Al Harris and Henry Barber on Dream:
> youtube.com/watch?v=0MzENqrxt6M&
> check out the old skool belaying!

That may serve to deter 'VS' climbers

Solaris 10 Apr 2009
In reply to Al Evans:
> sox is where its at.
As are loons: really help keep the footwork neat.
In reply to Mick Ward:

I thought AH came from Croydon?

jcm
 Al Evans 10 Apr 2009
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Doesn't mean to say he wasn't often on 'dream'.
 John2 10 Apr 2009
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: And I thought that the flat northern vowels in question were PL's.
 Mick Ward 10 Apr 2009
In reply to John2:

They were.
(To Jon) Was referring to the first video, not the second.

Mick
In reply to Mick Ward:

Ah, THOSE flat northern vowels. Sorry, stupid of me. I hear them occasionally as my copy of Lakeland Rock is by now well-nigh worn out with laughing at the Footless Crow episode, so I don't think of them as so rare.

jcm
 Mick Ward 10 Apr 2009
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

What a great series Lakeland Rock was. Nearly every episode had something interesting in it. I particularly liked Bonington's concern with Bill Peascod's welfare on a soaking Eagle Front.

By contrast, I felt that Pete could have been a tad more gentlemanly on Footless Crow (as, apparently, Pete Whillance had been previously). It was witty at the beginning but, as I recall, went on far too long. I'm sure none of us would relish being in Bonington's position. He showed admirable restraint.

Mick
In reply to Mick Ward:

It didn't go on very long on the show, but I dare say it did uncut!

I enjoyed Fawcett's story in an obituary for PL. They were doing Void for the cameras, which apparently has a perfect Friend slot which unfortunately makes the moves themselves much harder if used. Livesey cruised through the crux, reached back and slammed in this Friend with an evil grin. Fawcett fell off when following.

Something like that, anyway. I suspect the story rather gained in the telling. Anyone know what TV series this was?

jcm
 Mick Ward 10 Apr 2009
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Didn't know about Void, but typical...

A rather graceful encomium to Big Ron, something like: "I knew, early on, that Ron was much better than me. The trick was for him not to know it!"

A lovely sense of mischief. Sadly missed. RIP.

Mick
In reply to Mick Ward:

The is a story in a similar vein in Jerry Moffat's biography where Livesey tells the 16 year old Andy Pollitt (dressed like Ron Fawcett) the "secret" of how to do Zukator.
Climbing standards have rocketed since Livesey's time, but his levels of sandbagging/ mick taking have not really been overhauled.
 Mick Ward 11 Apr 2009
In reply to notbadforafatlad:

Hiya, hope all's well. Really enjoyed that day at Llanymynach (sp?) with you and your mate. Please give him my regards.

When Andy was 15/16 he used to go around Tremadoc with this woolly hat with a union jack on it, in imitation of his hero, Ron. Eric dubbed him 'the dynamo kid'. He was wonderfully green then (he learned!) but I shudder to think of Pete's 'advice'.

Agree with you re levels of sandbagging/mick taking. Never been surpassed! Although I detest sandbagging (banter is fine) - and Pete was ruthless - he also seemed to have a genuine sense of the ridiculous that was very life-enhancing. At least that was my impression. Al knew him much, much better.

The closest we've had on here to Pete is probably Norrie. I miss him.

Mick
In reply to Mick Ward: I guess you can look at sandbagging as a back handed compliment - you wouldn't bother to sandbag someone who was not a threat, but I agree in general. Thank goodness Zukator is well protected. Also I guess that it taught them a lesson about self reliance.
I will pass your regards on to Chris when I see him tomorrow. Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...