UKC

Logging "ethics"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cragcloud 25 May 2020

Hi all

How do you log your climbs here on ukclimbing.com?

Personally, I log all sport climbing attempts from project to eventual redpoint if they happen on different dates. Say, I start projecting a route one weekend and give it three attempts, but I do not manage to redpoint it. I log that as "Lead Dogged" if I topped the route, but with rests/falls. That counts as one entry in my logbook (not all three attempts, because they happen the same day). If I then come back the next weekend of finish the project with a redpoint, then that counts as a new entry in my logbook keeping the entry from the previous weekend in my logbook.

What do you do?

Post edited at 12:18
 Brown 25 May 2020
In reply to Cragcloud:

I used to only log the first time I successfully climbed routes. This made sense as at the time as I was climbing a lot. I must have climbed routes like Fluted Columns at Almscliff hundreds of times as I soloed it every time I visited. I've also had significant projects where I have put multiple sessions into single routes.

in more recent years I've climbed less (injury/living in London) so have taken to logging every successful climb.

I've never logged failed routes unless it was epic!

If the filter function was a little better I could see the advantage of logging everything. I'd quite like to know how many sessions I put in to failing to climb Unleash the Wild Physique!

Bulls Crack 25 May 2020
In reply to Cragcloud:

Record the successful attempt but don't bother with attempts/failures!   

1poundSOCKS 25 May 2020
In reply to Cragcloud:

> What do you do?

I don't log failures at all now although it would be interesting to see just how many sessions of failure I have to endure. But it tends to clog up the logbook, and I appreciate the fact I don't have to sift through everybody else's.

I don't log bolted warm ups or top ropes, but I do log all my trad including seconding.

I guess I log what's important to me.

Post edited at 12:56
 JohnBson 25 May 2020
In reply to Cragcloud:

Mark everything as on sight unless you've chipped a hold...

Doesn't really matter, only person who needs to know is you, and whatever you do you should remain consistent in. If you're worried about it that much you're concentrating on the wrong things. 

Charloam 26 May 2020

I log failures so that next time I go to the crag I know what to try again

remus Global Crag Moderator 26 May 2020
In reply to Cragcloud:

I log everything as I like the added context. 10x 'lead dog' followed by a 'lead RP' paints a very different picture to single 'Lead RP'. It's totally personal though. For some it's a record of things they've ticked off, for me it's more of a climbing diary.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...