UKC

Longevity Anniversary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Following on from Chris Craggs forum thread ‘Lifers’.

I started climbing exactly 50 years ago to the day and was hoping to get out today to repeat my first routes, unfortunately snow in the Peak this morning stopped play. I’m sure there are many here on UKC that have been climbing for much longer?

Here’s looking forward to a good few more years cragging, but how many?

Pedro50 10 Mar 2023
In reply to Christheclimber:

I started 51 years ago in 1972. I'd hate to try and lead Diamond Crack today in Adidas running shoes.

Chris_Mellor 10 Mar 2023

I have been climbing for more than 55 years, starting in N Wales at the Plas Gwynant outdoor centre as a pupil there.

Gary Gibson 11 Mar 2023
In reply to Christheclimber:conning up to 60 for me

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Mar 2023

I don't think I put Genesis on the 'Lifers' thread but it was 30th July 1965 - Brimham Rocks, so coming on 58 years for me,

Chris

Post edited at 10:28
In reply to Pedro50:

> I started 51 years ago in 1972. I'd hate to try and lead Diamond Crack today in Adidas running shoes.

It was Woolworths plimsolls for me, tying on around the waist, and waist belays.

jcw 11 Mar 2023
In reply to Chris Craggs:That would be about the time I did the Diables Arête and Spigolo Giallo, when on leave from Oman. But then I did not start climbing until 1962 when I was 28. Did my last route just before  Covid. But the love of the hills and mountains never dies. 

Dave Hewitt 11 Mar 2023

He's a walker not a climber, but my friend Gordon Ingall was recently up Helvellyn again and that made it 65 consecutive years with at least one ascent. There can't have been many people who have managed that for a Munro or Munro-equivalent.

Michael Hood 11 Mar 2023

My "50th" is early in July 2024 when I hope to do my first climb Needle Ridge (VD) again.

Howard J 12 Mar 2023

My 50th anniversary was last October, when I went to Froggatt to repeat Slab Recess (D), accompanied by a friend who is only a few years behind me.  We both wore EBs and Whillans harnesses and as much 1970s gear as we could scavenge from our lofts, including some knotted tape slings, a spliced rope sling and a few nuts.  I wore my trusty (and very heavy) 'Crompton Climber' helmet.

The harnesses displayed the well-known tendency of textiles to shrink while in storage.  I'm sure the tie-in loops used to be closer together.

It was lovely to have an audience of friends from our climbing club, and we celebrated with a bottle of (non-alcoholic) cava. 

Despite being unashamedly a punter (VS on a good day), climbing has given me a lifetime of pleasure, some great friends, and taken me to some amazing places.  These things should be celebrated.

Mick Ward 12 Mar 2023
In reply to jcw:

> But the love of the hills and mountains never dies. 

In our hearts always.

Mick 

Sam Beaton 12 Mar 2023
In reply to Howard J:

> The harnesses displayed the well-known tendency of textiles to shrink while in storage.  I'm sure the tie-in loops used to be closer together.

Have a like for that

In reply to Howard J:

Excellent. It sounds like you had a brilliant day out and great to hear you did it in your original climbing gear.

Like you, climbing has given me a lifetime of pleasure, adventures and experience in many countries, long may it continue.

Post edited at 16:34
 Rog Wilko 12 Mar 2023

If your age on your profile is up to date I reckon with luck on your side at least a decade, maybe more.🤗

In reply to Rog Wilko:

Cheers Roger, yes it’s correct, 68 this year 😬 Another decade would be good. Hope you are well as I remember a recent thread from you saying you were struggling a bit??? But I could be wrong.

Chris

barbeg 12 Mar 2023

First lead was Tiger Rag (VD) at Crookrise... Easter 1973.  Whillans Harness, hawserlaid, a few rope slung nuts, tied slings and Hawkins rock boots. So it's my 50th Anniversary coming up.

In Scotland now, so no repeat sadly.

Knees knackered, fingers like Ron's, and everything aches, but I'm off to TCA tomorrow.... heading home for some winter stuff on Thursday.

I'll probably peg it in the mountains eventually.... but I wouldn't have it any other way. It has been, and continues to be, my life.

Barbeg

Groundhog 13 Mar 2023

My first climb was Pont Pen Y Benglog Buttress in Ogwen in 1964. The only kit we had then was a 50ft hemp rope that I got from a hardware store. "Frosts Italian Hemp" if I remember correctly. I went back and soloed it last summer. Also did Middle Buttress Arete on Windgather in 64 which I have a photo of. Went back and took a photo in exactly the same spot last year.                                  My first cave (mine actually) was Wood Mine at Alderly Edge in 1963. Again I went back there last year.                                                                                                                                                          First went fishing at Poynton Pool in 1962. Fished the same spot yesterday. Caught a 5lb pike!

I doubt any of us will beat jcw's record though.       

Gary Gibson 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Sorry 51

Rog Wilko 18 Mar 2023

If only I were struggling….

March 9, 1969. Under an azure sky two 14 year olds are tying on below Brown Slabs on Shepherd's Crag. The leader is an expert, he has been climbing for several months and has a pair of proper climbing shoes. I am the complete novice clad in steel toe-cap working person's boots , much cheaper than proper hill walking boots but with a sole with the frictional coefficient of a wet bar of soap. After much huffing and puffing I reach the top and am hooked.

March 9th 2019. Fast forward exactly half a century (time flies) and the same duo are, once again, tying on below the same sweep of rock. A lot has changed, notably our waistlines, hair colour and quantity. Additionally the weather was much less clement:  a leaden sky was producing a regular supply of sleet, the crag was streaming and a temperature barely above freezing added to the discomfort. We had company from a collection of friends, old and not quite as old but there was a whiff of rebellion in the air as they complained loudly that they would rather be pulling on plastic. However the deed had to be done and I slithered up the extremely slippery route. A second route would have been good but we adjourned to the warm hut for beer, wine and pizza.

So how many more years? It is time to stop when it is time to stop. A lifetime of activity has taken its toll on shoulder, back and hip making climbing more of a challenge, exactly how much more will become apparent tomorrow afternoon: after an unreasonably early flight to Alicante I'll be in Echo Valley/Val Guadar, the closest crag to the apartment we have booked.

Happy days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...