UKC

Man dies in fall at climbing wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In reply to Toerag: This statement is rather confusing

It is understood he was climbing independently when he fell.
 monkeyboyraw 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Toerag: Very sad news but will be interesting to hear the HSE investigation findings. Thougts to the gents family and other users and staff there at the time.
 another_mark 10 Nov 2011
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Not as part of a group?
In reply to another_mark:
> (In reply to highclimber) Not as part of a group?

or he was climbing solo. let's wait for more information but it is a strange statement.
In reply to Toerag: Unusual in what way?

Regrettable, unfortunate and many other things, certainly. An instance no less worthy of passing on condolences to the friends and family left behind than the incident earlier in the week on the Grand Jorasses, for whilst the two circumstances could scarcely be more different the grief of those who have lost someone close to them may be just as acute. But if you mean unusual in the sense that climbing walls are extremely safety-conscious places and incidents like this are, thankfully, remarkably few in number then fine; but I suspect that wasn't what you meant.

T.
 yogi2749 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Toerag: When they say "climbing independently" do they mean Bouldering? Either way sad news.
 lowersharpnose 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Toerag:

It is unusual, there have not been many fatalities in climbing walls. I think this is the third or fourth in twenty years.

jon 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Sad. I vaguely knew Dave Rothman from when I lived in the Midlands in the 70s. He would occasionally pop up at Ceunant club meets. What a sad way to leave this world.
In reply to lowersharpnose:
> (In reply to Toerag)
>
> It is unusual, there have not been many fatalities in climbing walls. I think this is the third or fourth in twenty years.

The length of time involved is irrelevant as climbing walls haven't been around for all that long. you could quite easily say 'I think this is the thrid or fourth in 50 years'. the statement will still be correct with the added advantage of sounding even more rare! it's not unusual, just unfortunate.

Condolences to the bereaved
 lowersharpnose 10 Nov 2011
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

I picked twenty years because The Foundry opened twenty years ago, sort of the 'modern' era for climbing walls.

Puppythedog 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Toerag: Thoughts and condolences to the Family of Dave, I've waved and nodded at him a few times indoors I'm sure. Also thoughts for the staff that were working that day and who responded first and foremost with regards to calling for help and administering first aid; a shock and a traumatic event for them also.

Jamie B 10 Nov 2011

> It is understood he was climbing independently when he fell.

"Climbing independently" is a phrase often used (somewhat lazily) by wall staff to differentiate climbers who have signed themselves in from those under instruction.

Mike Hartley 2 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Toerag:

Condolences to his friends and family.

I also wondered what 'climbing independantly' meant, and jumped to the conclusion that it meant he was soloing (said in typical ignorant journalist words). At which point, I'd beg the question, what climbing wall lets you solo 9 metres above the deck?

It's a little too grey to make assumptions though so I won't bother. Either way, not a pleasant way to go. Again, condolences to his friends and family.
 ryan_d 10 Nov 2011
In reply to lowersharpnose: Or two this year alone, considering the death at Awesome Walls, Stockport around New Year ish.

my condolences to all involved or close to the person.

Ryan
caver 10 Nov 2011

> The length of time involved is irrelevant as climbing walls haven't been around for all that long. you could quite easily say 'I think this is the thrid or fourth in 50 years'. the statement will still be correct with the added advantage of sounding even more rare! it's not unusual, just unfortunate.
>

Mile End started our current concept of dedicated climbing walls and it celibrated it's 25th birthday this year. Given the number of people using walls, fatalities are thankfully unusual and very rare.
 Dave 88 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Toerag:

Very sad indeed.

9m is too high for it to be a bouldering fall isn't it? Do they have those mechanical top rope devices at this wall? Or maybe as Jamie says "climbing independantly" just means "without instruction".

Fair play for still getting out at 73. What a shame.
 graeme jackson 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Toerag: When I used to climb at the warehouse (prior to 1998), they didn't have in situ top ropes or even in-situ quickdrws on any of the routes. You had to lead everything and use your own hardware. No idea if it's changed since then.
Incidentally, when I started using the climbing wall at Cramlington's concordia leisure centre, we solo'd all the time and that wall was the full height of the sports hall so at least 30 or 40 feet. That would have been from around 1979ish.
 Yanis Nayu 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Toerag: Condolences to family and friends.
 colinkeb 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Toerag: the warehouse does have top ropes in situ although some routes are free for leading. no one solo's in the main arena, certainly not up to 9 meters. the hall is supervised and they wouldn't allow that I can assure you. the walls are around 10 meters, some slightly less and one area is around 12 meters so I assume he was at or near the top of a climb, that and the fact the place is still open suggests a problem with the knot or rope to me but I don't know I'm only guessing, it doesn't sound like an issue with the center itself though. terrible shame.
 Ross B 10 Nov 2011
I was talking with the staff there Tuesday, I could tell they were shaken by it, and the suggestion was it was a failed bowline, I guess not backed up properly with a stopper.

The HSE report will make an interesting read all the same.
 Yanis Nayu 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Ross B: I doubt the HSE will have anything to do with it.
andyathome 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to Ross B) I doubt the HSE will have anything to do with it.

I would think that they almost certainly will.
 Yanis Nayu 10 Nov 2011
In reply to andyathome: They don't enforce H&S at climbing walls. Anyway, I don't think this is the time or place to discuss it.
 TonyM 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Ross B:
Having witnessed at close range a serious, but non-fatal, accident from bowline failure at a climbing wall, I can so easily see how this happens.
Sincere condolences to friends and family.
 Oceanrower 10 Nov 2011
In reply to TonyM: Please insert the standard "if you use a bowline you will die" UKC thread from this point onwards.
andyathome 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Oceanrower:
> (In reply to TonyM) Please insert the standard "if you use a bowline you will die" UKC thread from this point onwards.

That's not really needed. Someone died.

We'll know why eventually.
 Oceanrower 10 Nov 2011
In reply to andyathome: I'm sorry about that but every accident thread on this site seems to end up in an inaccurate argument about bowlines.
 Oceanrower 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Oceanrower: And, by the way, I personally think this shouldn't be on here at all except for condolences to the family.
 shaggypops 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Oceanrower: Only if a thoughtless idiot brings it into a thread.......A climber has just lost his life in case you haven't realised.
 Oceanrower 10 Nov 2011
In reply to shaggypops: I have realised. Have you read further up the thread?
andyathome 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to andyathome) They don't enforce H&S at climbing walls. Anyway, I don't think this is the time or place to discuss it.

You think that Climbing Walls are exempt from H&S legislation? And outwith the remit of the HSE? I think you are wrong.

And you raised it
ice.solo 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Toerag:

sad thing, particularly when its an 'older brother'.

lets see, but im wondering if the wording is about the failure of a self belay device. theres been recalls in the last year or two after some failures.

lets hope the wall doesnt go under.
 Voltemands 11 Nov 2011
In reply to ice.solo: Very sad news indeed. I hope his family are faring well. But I also hope the climbing wall is not affected Unjustly. I've been climbing there since June 2010 and their safety is second to none of the 6 or so indoor facilities I've been too. Believe me, if you're doing something stooopid - the staff soon tell you about it! (which is of course great and for the best)
 muppetfilter 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Oceanrower:
> (In reply to andyathome) I'm sorry about that but every accident thread on this site seems to end up in an inaccurate argument about bowlines.

I am not going to argue, this thread is not the place to pass speculation on a terrible incident. I knew the climber and belayer involved in the Accident last year in Manchester and the ripples will last a lifetime.

Some knots have limitations but they are nothing compaired to a good solid routine of checking your harness, Knot and Belay Krab before each and every climb.Climbing is never safe and without risk.
 Dave Reeve 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Toerag: Sad news and condolences to his friends and family.

Knowing the true reasons for this accident may help us all to climb more safely in the future and avoid a similar accident ourselves...

Speculation about possible bowline failure etc just doesn't help..
Kitty2 12 Nov 2011
In reply to Toerag: I learnt to climb at the Warehouse the year it opened, and climbed there for many years afterwards. My condolences to the family, and to all the staff affected by this tragedy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...